It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2002, 12:03 PM   #1
Inactive

LK HB User
Post Permanent cold

Hi, for longer than I can remember I have had cold symptoms. I sneeze all the time; I cough all the time; my nose runs, and I have the general feeling of being unwell that comes with a cold.

Why could this be?

Old 10-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Sounds like you have allergies, you have all the symptoms. Go to the allergy message boards and find out what works for others for treatment. My husband has all these symptoms, and always thought he had a cold, but found that an allergy med. worked wonders. We just bought a generic one that doesn't make him sleepy. You can also try to figure out what you are allergic to by paying attention to when the symptoms come on. This may help with your treatment also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2002, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yep probably allergies or chronic sinusitis. See your doc and get this evaluated and if he suspects allergies than see an allergist and get tested.

Old 10-23-2002, 11:10 AM   #4
Inactive

LK HB User
Maybe. I also have lots of other symptoms. I've always dismissed the idea of allergies for some reason.

Old 10-23-2002, 04:35 PM   #5

mfry32 HB User
I have those symptoms and I found out it is allergies.
Now I take an allergy pill every morning and I'm much
better. So don't give up the idea that you may have allergies.

Old 10-23-2002, 07:36 PM   #6

tweetbirdy HB User
yeah , I have these symptoms too, sometimes a bad sore thoat too, so it always feels like a cold. And tiredness too. Yeah, I agree, it sounds like allergies. usually what happens for me is they last for a few months than go away for a few months , than come back ,like in a cycle.

Hope that helps

Old 10-23-2002, 08:44 PM   #7

sweetypi HB User
Talking

My son got sick last October with cold symptoms. He was sneezing, had watery eyes, coughed every night until he threw up all the time. He had this until April of this year. We took him to the doctor several times but they always gave us some cold and cough medicine or told us to run a humidifier so we did. It lasted 6 months!! UGH! A few weeks ago he started back up again. My hubby and I decided we weren't going to go through this again for another 6 months so we took him to a different doctor who put him on antibiotics (cuz he had some bronchi on his right lung) and he put him on an inhaler. We do these treatments 4 times a day and give him the oral med 3 times a day. He's been doing great since we started this. He will only have to take the oral meds for about 20 days and the inhaler for about 3 weeks then a follow up but after that the doc is thinking just as needed. Thought this info may help a bit if nothing else seems to work for you.

Sweety

Old 10-24-2002, 11:11 AM   #8
Inactive

LK HB User
Can you get a generic "allergy pill" that treats any allergy?

Old 10-24-2002, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran

Kamden HB User
The ones we have are just maximum strength sinus allergy caplets. They took care of my husbands constant running nose, and sneezing, and they are a generic brand. They always sit right beside the name brand ones, we just guessed on which ones to get too, but i think they are the generic brand of Tylenol allergy med.

Old 10-24-2002, 10:05 PM   #10

mari66 HB User
Lightbulb

Sweetypi, I hope your son continues to do better. It reminds me of when my daughter was 9 years, except her's turned out to be asthma. She was given steroids interveniously, (which did save her life). But the nightmare wasn't over. It took over 2 years of relapes trying to wean her off, then doc predicted it's dependency for life. But I didn't accept it, esp. with what it does to the immune system. I turned to the best naturopathic, I could find. She's been free of steroids and ER's for 8 years now. Mind if I ask, what meds did doc prescribed? Hope this helps. Mari

Old 10-25-2002, 03:48 AM   #11
Veteran

simby HB User
hi lk - there are many antihistimines on the market. i usually take benadryl but a lot of people get really drowsy on it.
decongestants work to unblock you sinuses while the antihistimines stop the symptoms of the reaction (runny nose., itchy eyes etc.).

i would suggest that the first time you try an antihistime you take it when you will be able to lay down if you get drowsy. talk to your pharmacist and they can show you all the different kinds.

------------------
(the truth is out there)

Old 10-25-2002, 09:43 PM   #12

sweetypi HB User
Hi, Mari

Thanks for the info on your daughter. Glad to hear she's been well for 8 years now! WOW! That's fantastic!!! The oral abx that they put my son on is called Pediazole (sp?). They also put him on an albuterol inhaler. He's been taking it only since Tuesday. The pharmacy where we had the rx filled called just yesterday to say that they put the wrong label on the inhaler and that we were giving him too much!! Not what I wanted to hear! I wondered why he was acting so different. He was totally bouncing off the walls on Tuesday and on Wednesday he was much worse. He was very hyper, very mean, and wouldn't listen to us at all. He was hitting, kicking, punching, etc. The pharmacy had called the doc before they called us and so the doc called us later and said don't give him anymore as he's had too much already. We told the doc what he had been like and he said it was from too much of the inhaler. I'm so frustrated with the pharmacy. So because of that we can't let him use the inhaler anymore and it was helping his cough. I think the abx are helping though. I'm just waiting to see what happens next! Thanks for listening and for your info!

Sweety

Old 10-31-2002, 10:42 PM   #13

mari66 HB User
Talking

Hope everyone's Halloween was fun,

LK, Now a days you can start having allergies anytime. A 31 year coworker had her first this spring & she's suffering from what ever this season's is now. I believe all these toxins (air, food & probable water) causing havoc to our immunities. I'd been plagued with infections all my life, (glands, flu, allergies, etc.). What ever it's name, I was just sick & tired of being sick & tired. It wasn't until I found an effective way to restore my immune system did all my infections clear up since Feb. (knock on wood).

Sweetypi, your welcome. Sorry son's so miserable, hope they fixed the mix up & gave him some relief. I didn't know albuterol od could have that reaction. He must be a toddler. Probable sick & tired of being sick & tired. I get mean & grouchy, too. My daughter's not totally rid of asthma, still uses albuterol as needed (wheezing with colds etc.). She had a revolving door to ER while on prednisone. Her problem now is keeping up her offensive. I'm not familiar with Pediazole. Try searching it on Medline, if you haven't already. What's his diagnosis? You can search that there, too. [url="http://medlineplus.gov/"]http://medlineplus.gov/[/url]

Hope this helps. Mari

Old 11-03-2002, 08:41 PM   #14

sweetypi HB User
Hi again, Mari!

My son is doing ok now. Yes, he is a toddler. He's almost 3. He is still pretty hyper but not nearly as bad as he was. I don't think I've heard him cough at night at all for at least 4 or 5 days. This medication really DID help him I believe. The doctor said he had bronchi on his right lung and that was the only diagnosis we got from him. Thanks for the link......I did some research. It was very helpful. I really appreciate it. Thanks again!

Sweety

Closed Thread