It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #1
(female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User
Question Is the flu shot necessary?

I realized last week that I missed my oportunity to get the flu shot at work. I work in mental health and come in contact with consumers throughout the day. Obviously, I want to protect the clients as well as myself from the virus, but I also practice good infection control prevention all the time. I'm 25 years old with a good immunity. Every year I usually end up not getting the flu shot and missing the window of opportunity because I'm busy or whatnot. I haven't had the flu since I was in college. (That seemed to be a breeding ground for viruses and illness, especially with the late night studying and stress.) I found that I've managed to not get sick as much after graduating from college.

I'm wondering what the benefits and drawbacks are? The obvious of course is avoiding the flu, but I still just want to know. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2002, 12:14 AM   #2
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
I was in the medical field as a CNA for 30 yrs.In my Job I was required to get the flu shot,but they always made me so sick,I finally got a Dr.order that I could not take the flu shot.Haven't had the flu in 30 yrs........I don't get colds anymore either.......

------------------
SnowyLynne

[This message has been edited by SnowyLynne (edited 10-28-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2002, 07:49 PM   #3

carittopqt HB User
Until recently, Doctors said that if you are in good physical health, there is nothing to compel you to get a flu shot. Most recently though, health care facilities are often requiring employees to have flu shots. People are becoming more and more paranoid about getting the flu which of course can have terrible consequences to some. They are the people though who need the flu shots....that is, the sick and the very elderly and those with compromised immune systems. I have never had a flu shot in 39 yrs. and can't remember when or if I've ever had the flu. Handwashing thoroughly is of utmost importance.

Old 11-03-2002, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
I have worked in nursing homes for 28 years and never taken a flu shot. I keep my health up and with the use of a good antioxidant supplement I am rarely if ever ill any more so I don't see the need for me to put extra "bugs" in my system if I don't have too. I really think it should be an individual thing as far as weather to get a flu shot or not. I have a co-worker who couldn't wait to get her flu shot and had me give it to her on the side before any of the other staff flu shots were give but then her diet is very poor and she does not take care of her health so for her it probably was a good idea although she seems to catch everything going around anyway.

Old 11-03-2002, 10:40 AM   #5
Inactive

1Dove HB User
I've gotten a flu shot every year for the past 11 years. You cannot catch the flu from a flu shot. The flu shots no longer contain any live virus, so it is not possible. I started getting them because of a family member with a compromised immune system, but I found that it boosted my own immune system as well. I don't get the flu anymore, and I only get a mild cold maybe every 3 or 4 years. If they would produce enough flu vaccine to go around, I think it would be great for everyone to get the flu shot. How much less of those nasty viruses would be spreading around? And how much less antibiotics would be used? And thus less antibiotic resistance.

Old 11-03-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
My question to the last responder is why not use a good antioxidant supplement on a daily basis and eliminate the 3-4 colds you do get per year as well as elminiating getting the flu? Doesn't it make more sense to take a supplement that will boost your immune system enough to eliminate all of these and thus eliminate your need for a flu shot that contains who knows what in it?

Old 11-03-2002, 01:14 PM   #7
Inactive

1Dove HB User
mlgable,
You misread my posting. I only get a mild cold every 3 or 4 years (not 3 or 4 colds a year). And I do take an antioxident supplement everyday. But vitemins aren't a cure all. I don't know why you are so turned off on the flu shot, it is an exellent and completely safe preventative. To each his own.

Old 11-03-2002, 06:05 PM   #8
Inactive

mlgable HB User
I don't get the flu and I am exposed to it plenty working in the nursing home. The flu shot is fine for those that feel they need it but I wanted to point out that if you don't feel it is right for you or that you need it that it is not essential that you get it even if you do work in the health care field. I give my husband a flu shot every year when they come out since he is one who wants it and that is fine with me but the flu shot is not something I care to get since I don't tend to get the flu.

Old 11-04-2002, 07:23 AM   #9
ilovesunshine

I have never had a flu shot and I don't really feel that I need to get one.

Closed Thread