It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2002, 10:57 AM   #1

Whisper7 HB User
Question Torn Ligaments

I took a fall on the weekend and the doc says I have to torn ligament. It sounds more serious than it feels. The doc wants to send me to an Orthopedic Surgeon. With the exception of a mild twinge when I am in a very specific but infrequent position, I can walk fine without a problem. Is an orthopedic surgeon necessary? I will do as my doc says, but I want to hear opinions.

Old 11-26-2002, 12:01 PM   #2

shellebelle HB User
Did they say what ligament was torn or how severe?

I'm in the process of getting a referral to an orthopedic surgeon because I'm still having knee pain after an injury 5 months ago. I think I may have done some damage to my ACL. I'm not having much pain, like you, but it does flare up.

Anyway, yes, definently see the surgeon. You may not need surgery, it's possible that you'll just have to get a custom brace and go to PT. The longer you let it go the worse it will get and you'll probably end up in surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
I fell In my garden 4 years ago,really tore up my ankle.It took over a year to get back to reletively normal again.It takes a long time depending on the damage that has been done.I'm fine now,though at times cold weather bothers It.......

------------------
SnowyLynne

Old 11-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #4

Whisper7 HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks, ShelleBelle and Snowy Lynne. I appreciate your help. The whole suggestion doesn't seem so absurd to me now. I hope you are both doing better now. 'Til next time http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Old 11-26-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
A broken bone heals faster than torn ligaments or cartiledge. I hurt my left wrist in June and it is still painful, now they say it is carpal tunnel and I damaged my ulnar and radial nerve. In the year 2000 I hurt my foot by tripping in the dog hole, it took over a year to heal and it still isnt what it use to be.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:19 AM   #6

Whisper7 HB User
Really? They can take that long? Uggh! We will see what the surgeon says, I guess. Here in Newfoundland, the doctors take forever to get appoinments going also. He said it would be a couple fo weeks until I see him.I shall pray for patience http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Old 11-30-2002, 08:38 AM   #7
Inactive

OREGANO HB User
Have you tried things that help like Coral Calcium,

Oregano Oil, ARNICA, MSM, Colostrum, Florasil Silica ?
-------------------------

Life is too short,
It goes by fast.
Don't be the serious sort,
Make it a blast.

Don't live your life with care and regret.
And Remember mistakes you really should forget.

Remember the good times,
The happy and not the sad.
Live life to the fullest
Appreciate what you've had.

Living is learning and getting things done.
And hoping and believing in God's only Son .

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 11-30-2002).]

Old 11-30-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Soft-tissue damage, like a torn ligament or cartillage takes much longer to heal than a broken bone.

Depending on what you tore, you may also need to see a physiotherapist to learn what movements you should avoid and what muscles you should strengthen to reduce stress on this ligament and/or the surrounding tissues that will be doing additional duty during your recovery.

Some supplements can be helpful, particularly those that the body normally uses to help rebuild soft tissue [MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin]. You may also want to make sure that you get adequate complete [meat] proteins.

Closed Thread