It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2002, 02:54 PM   #1

Katbabe1987 HB User
Thumbs down Trichotillomania- I pull out my eyelashes...any advice?

Every now and then, I will sit, and just pull out my eyelashes, in clumps of like 3-4-5-6-7...and here's the weirdest thing about it - I enjoy it. I don't do it all the time, but sometimes, every now and then, I'll just start by pulling one out, then it's like I can't stop. I just go back and start pulling more out. Right now, I have about 5 on each eye. I rarely do this, so don't think it's an all the time thing, and sometimes I can control the craving to pull out more, but other times, I just keep going and going till I have hardly any left - sometimes seriously only 2 or 3. I was reading up on Trichotillomania, but that sounds very serious, and well, mine isn't so bad, just an every now and then thing. Does anyone know why I do this? I am not stressed or on any medication, I was on Zoloft, but I haven't been taking it for a awhile, so what can I do to control the cravings I often get to pull my eyelashes out? I don't pull any other hair out, just eyelashes. Anyone? I know this is a weird problem, but I'm just wandering about others insights and thoughts about it! Thanks a lot!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Kat

[This message has been edited by Katbabe1987 (edited 11-27-2002).]

Old 11-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #2
Inactive

Mila21ca HB User
Please don't resort to taking medication for this problem; many things can be solved without prescription meds. I would suggest talking to a psychotherapist; he/she would be able to help you work out some kind of program to help you stop and to figure out why you do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2002, 10:25 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Good Lord,

I never DREAMED there was a name for it. I do it all the time. I figure only the loose ones will come out??

Old 12-03-2002, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Arrow

Hi!
I had posted something about this myself awhile ago and I received a lot of replies on this.I too, do this! I am at this time NOT PULLING and "Practicing" NOT to do it.I am in a therapy class that deals with o.c.d. The last time that I was in the class(before Thanksgiving) I was going to "practice" not doing it.(Before, I was pulling all of the time and my eyes were really hurting and I had the driest eyes, so dry that when I would drive at night,I couldn't see that well and the lights would beam into my eyes and sometimes my eyes would really water up)!! The incentive is to do something else with my hands and not to hurt my face.My therapist and the group all told me that basically what I was doing to myself was "abuse". I used to tell my therapist that I liked doing it to myself, because I was so used to doing it. It kind of calmed me down, pulling, ya know? But, now I just fight the urge that I feel. It isn't easy, because I feel it every now and then, but,I just tell myself that the message that I am recieving in my brain, is a false message.The O.C.D. just wants me to do the thing that I know is NOT okay to be doing.I am also changing my brain chemistry as I speak to you.So, perhaps, maybe I will not have a need to do this kind of damage to myself anymore.(Mind you, this is terribly hard for me, but, I am "Practicing" as hard as I can)!!!!!Our group doesn't use the word :"Trying", because it just sets you up to fail. I wish you the best luck and whatever else might work for you. Use incentives to get yourself to stop.Some of my incentives are that I want to look "Pretty" again,and not strange looking.Also, I want to be able to see where I am going with out getting dust in my eyes and nearly going blind.Another is taking great care of my eyes.I have heard that messing with your face can damage your eyes or your brain ,depending on where you are hurting yourself.Picking/gouging out blackheads and whiteheads can also hurt you.Take care of YOU, Love YOURSELF! Remember, YOU are WORTHY!!! It's hard to quit, but, YOU CAN DO IT! My motto is Never say Never! Believe that you can change this habit. So far, I am really proud of the fact that I haven't touched my face that much, and my eyelashes ARE growing back.I do not plan to pull on them. I'll just have to find something else to be doing.I'll be thinking of you and the others and hoping great things for everyone! Nightowl2

P.S.Smile, smile,smile!

Closed Thread