It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2002, 06:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Unhappy Hallucinations

Hi,

Iím not sure which forum to post this... so I was hoping that someone here might have some input.

This is kind of hard to post about... I guess Iím embarrassed, but Iím also scared and I donít know what to do.

Last night I was finding it difficult once again to fall asleep (I often do) and although I was completely exhausted still from the night before when I was at a friends house and managed to get only a few hours, I couldnít fall asleep until after one in the morning.

Annoyingly, I woke frequently throughout the night but there was this one time that really scared me. How do I explain this... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif Basically, I woke up and there was a person staring right at me. She was a young girl, about my age I think (seventeen) but I didnít recognize her. All I remember was that I was absolutely terrified about the way she was staring at me... it was horrible. I stared back... I was too afraid to move and after about 30 seconds the image just faded into the darkness. I donít what happened, how it happened, or WHY it happened... but it did. I was NOT dreaming. I can assure you I was well awake. This is not the first time this has ever happened to me either. I can remember years ago when I was at home alone... I was probably about thirteen or fourteen and I had a similar experience... but it was daylight at the time. This time it was night. Finally, I got up the nerves to move and turn the light on, and I didnít sleep for some hours to come. I wonder if it has something to do with any of the medications I am on, but I really donít know.

I realise that this post probably just makes me sound as if Iím completely crazy... hey, maybe I am! But that doesnít change the fact that these hallucinations are scaring me and I really do want them to go away.

Please, if anyone has an idea of why this may have happened, or has been through a similar experience, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for Ďlisteningí.

Take care,
Ashlee

[This message has been edited by Ashlee (edited 11-16-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2002, 07:09 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You are not crazy. You obviously had a visitor last night but exactly what message she was trying to tell you I don't have a clue. It is not at all unusual to spirits or sense their presence. The thing that can be hard is trying to figure out what they are there for. I wouldn't worry about it to much unless it really bothered you.

Old 11-16-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Hi, Mlgable. Thanks for replying.

I think maybe I need to explain myself a little further.

I suffer from various mantal illnesses and to be perfectly honest, I was simply afraid that this experience may have had something to do with that. I thought maybe it was the medication I was on for depression but I've been taking that for several months now and I hadn't experienced this before. I just don't want to get any worse and start to 'see things'.

Perhaps I just worry too much. Hey, I AM an anxious person after all! I suppose I won't really worry about it anymore. I mean, it was scary at the time but it's probably nothing to worry about. My mum's had the same experiences several times now.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Take care,
Ashlee

Old 11-17-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Many of us have talked about seeing, feeling and hearing unusual things so it not something to worry about unless you really start having a problem with it. Since you described it as a shadowy (ghost like) vision you saw that would pretty much tell me it wasn't a hallucination. Usually with hallucinations your see things that aren't there but those things are things you can touch such as bugs on a wall or a cat in the corner. I have had far to many experiences with spirits to just try to say yes you probably imagined it. Things like this happen often in the lives of my immediate family and most of the time we just let them go and think of it as someone just checking in on us to let us know they are there. With medication many mental illness problems can be helped tremendously so I do wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-20-2002, 03:06 PM   #5

ironlady HB User
Question

Hey there, Trust me you're not crazy. I was on Wellbutrin SR and got hallucinations too. Not just visual ones but I was hearing people call me and music and stuff and there was no one there. It could be the meds you're on or a combination of some. When I had a bad cold the doc gave me a cough syrup with codeine and a decongestant in it. This made things worse. I'm off both now and haven't had any problems since.
Call your doctor or phamacist and find out what's going on. Let me what happens. Hugs.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 11-20-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
I was on Trazadone,& Wellbutin,i heard weird things too.It was the wellbutrin causing me to vomit,so i axed both.the dr.wasn't too happy,but it's my body.......

------------------
SnowyLynne

Old 11-20-2002, 11:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Smile

Thank you, Mlgable, Ironlady and SnowyLynne.

It's good to know that this isn't really anything to worry about! Still, it's kinda freaky in the moment - I've had it happen twice more since the first time. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif I've also begun having 'nightmares' again. I feel a little old to be having nightmares but I suppose anyone can really get them! I just wish all this would stop for once. Before it MAKES me go crazy!

Thanks again,
Ashlee

Old 11-22-2002, 06:48 PM   #8

Naturalway HB User
Youíre not crazy. In the Bible Jesus even casted demons out of places. Every time my family moves we get a priest to bless the house (weíre all Christians and strongly believe in the Bible). The last house we moved into, we didnít get around to getting a priest to bless the house yet (not the house weíre living in now). About a week after we moved in, closet doors started opening and slamming shut by themselves (there was no draft, the doors and windows were closed), and we heard footsteps in the house at night. When we got a priest to bless the house, everything stopped. We lived in the house for a little over two years before moving out, and nothing ever happened after the priest blessed the house.

Old 11-22-2002, 10:49 PM   #9
(male)

YoungLife HB User
wow, that sounds freaky to me. Do you see a Doctor regulary? I dont know, but to me it sounds like some sort of skitzofrenia (sp?) What comes to mind is that movie 'A beautiful mind'

could be anything tho, especially lack of sleep. Maybe you were half awake and dreaming at the same time.

Old 11-24-2002, 10:19 PM   #10

Naturalway HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by YoungLife:
wow, that sounds freaky to me. Do you see a Doctor regulary? I dont know, but to me it sounds like some sort of skitzofrenia (sp?) What comes to mind is that movie 'A beautiful mind'

could be anything tho, especially lack of sleep. Maybe you were half awake and dreaming at the same time.
Weíre a family of four, and none of us have schizophrenia (or any mental / physical problems). The fact of the matter is that there are demons on Earth, and they do haunt places. I know many people who have seen weird stuff happen in houses. I strongly believe that GOD watches over our family. The weird thing is that I used to think that people who lived in haunted houses were exaggerating about everything until we lived in that house. After the priest blessed the house (about two weeks later because we couldnít get any sleep), the problems completely stopped (we moved out about two years later, and the problems never occurred again after the priest came).

Old 11-27-2002, 10:22 AM   #11

sweetwawa HB User
this is all too familiar to me also.
i moved into a apt. last november and strange things have happened since.
i felt awoken by a female like you, but i would hear her voice.
i'd awaken 3am every nite.
i am still suspecting that its a witch who lives below me but that's debatable,and a friend recommended i get a cleansing done here.
other weird and evil things have happened to me also such as theft and bizarre sensations and ongoings.
i am a very superstitious person and believe evil exists.

Old 11-30-2002, 06:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Chronic sleep deprivation plus certain meds, can cause 'situational psychosis' including hallucinations in anyone. This condition was first documented and coined in World War I.

If you also have any respiratory problems - asthma, sleep apnea [snoring] - this can worsen the condition, especially the sensation of feeling someone sitting on your chest or stealing/sucking the breath out of your body. [This is the history behind the term succubus, a 'demon'.]

Finally, if you are also physiologically hypersensitive [hyperacuity of vision or hearing, including tinnitis and aural migraine], this can worsen the perceived effects even more.

Since most meds for psychological conditions work on the central nervous system, you may be experiencing a side-effect. Look up your meds on the site below; this is a direct link for Prozac [Fluoxetine Systemic] information. One of Prozac's side-effects, observed mostly in young people [esp. adolescents], is disturbed sleep. This side-effect usually means a drug sensitivity and/or a possibility of serotinin syndrome.
[url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202247.html"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202247.html[/url]

PLEASE see your doctor.

Old 12-04-2002, 03:08 PM   #13

attic tony HB User
Hi!
This sounds to me like it could be sleep paralysis.
When you're asleep, your body is paralysed to stop you from acting out your dreams, but it sometimes happens that this takes a while (usually from a few seconds to a few minutes) to wear off after you've woken up.
So you wake up not being able to move, and often have hallucinations as well (a continuation of your dreams).
Most people have experienced that at least once, but an unlucky few (like me) get this fairly regularly.
Lack of sleep and certain medicines can make the problem worse.
I'm afraid I can't give you any more information, but I'm sure the Sleep Disorders board has some posts about this.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Old 12-04-2002, 03:19 PM   #14

attic tony HB User
I've just checked the Sleep Disorders board, and on the 2nd page there is a thread titled "Scary Sleep Disorder...Anyone Familiar?" which deals with this.
The internet also has lots of info on sleep paralysis, so it's worth doing a search.

Closed Thread