It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #1

Anarchist HB User
Post Anyone had thier tonsils removed as an adult?

I am 27, and have had tonsil "problems" pretty much all my life. The doctors rather put me on hoards of anti-biotics, then actually fix my problem.. Until now.. lol..

I get tonsilitis about 5-8 times a year.. For the last 2 years, my tonsils have been kissing at the bottom.. Thats what my ENT doctor calls it.. When I get tonsilitis, almost the entire tonsils are touching each other.. Which sometimes has the doctor questioning weather or not I can breath.. lol..

Though I have gotten used to the pain, and the tounsilitis really doesnt bother me much anymore..

My ENT says it's time for my tonsils to find a new home in the nearest biohazard trash bin... I am kind of concerned about the pain, and re-couperation time involved with this operation.

Anyone had this done as an adult? Please share your ADULT stories if you have one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 10:27 PM   #2

simtusie HB User
Hey there! I had my tonsils out at 19, not quite adult, but not a kid either. I tell you what, it hurt like the dickens! I was out of work for 10 days, then has a bottle of throat spray with me constantly for a while after that. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it is the liquid you spray in your throat to make it numb. If not for that spray, I don't know what I'd have done. The surgery really wipes you out, but it is worth it after the healing is done to know you will not have that gross throat thing going on anymore! Best of luck to you! When the post op pain gets really bad, just keep reminding yourself that it is a HEALING pain that WILL go away! Take care!
Oh yeah! Chloraseptic!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2002, 01:43 AM   #3

REELEE HB User
Thumbs up

Hi there!!

I am 31 and just had my tonsils out about eight weeks ago. It went very smoothly and I did NOT have a lot of pain at all. I had a new procedure called the Debreeder technique. (I am not sure if that is spelled correctly.) Basically, what it does is eat away at the tonsils, kind of like Pac Man (as my Dr. Described it)
The tonsil capsule is NOT removed, only the infected tonsils. This procedure is less painful than the conventional way. I was in the hospital for less than a day and eating solid foods that night.(Mashed Potatos)It just felt like I had a regular sore throat.
Hope this helps!!

Old 12-05-2002, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User
My brother just had his tonsils removed on Monday of this week. He is 29 (soon to be 30 in Jan). It was an outpatient procedure, but we were at the hospital for 7 hours. The surgery went smoothly, but it took him a while to come out of the anesthesia.
The next day, he said he didn't have any pain, and didn't need to take any of the pain medicine. Yesterday, he was a little sore, so he took half of the recommended dose (liquid form) and that did him fine.
The doctor said everyone is different. That some people are back to their old selves in a couple of days, others it takes longer.
I think my brother is doing great and isn't in as much pain as anticipated. Other than wanting something solid to eat, he's fine.
He also had the problem of his tonsils touching (among other things). He had problems swallowing and breathing (like his throat felt like it was being closed up).
Good luck to you. You may find that once they are removed, things will be much better for you.
-Trooper

Old 12-08-2002, 09:20 PM   #5

lihealy HB User
Hi Anarchist -

I was 35 when I finally had my tonsils removed. I, like you, was on tons of antibiotics. My ENT also told me it was time mine were removed since I was in his office every two (2) months. Everything went great. Expect to get some ear pain around the second or third day after your tonsillectomy (the doc called me at home to tell me to expect it). I think it was the best decision for me, I rarely have a sore throat or a cold.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. . .

Old 12-08-2002, 10:29 PM   #6

NugIsHere HB User
I'm 17 and I had mine out on November 15th, a little over three weeks ago. It hurts more the older you are and im not going to lie, it hurts soooooo much.. the pain is unbelievable, but when i get a sore throat i cry lol so it might be a different kind of pain for you. But it does hurt a lot. GOOD LUCK

-Nug http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 12-09-2002, 09:27 PM   #7

sweetypi HB User
Hi all!
Not to scare you or anything because as mentioned before everyone is different. You may have a smooth surgery and recovery but not everyone does. My sister had her tonsilectomy when she was 18 and a senior in high school. The next day, my parents had to rush her to the Emergency Room because she was losing so much blood. She was actually vomitting the blood. They had to take her in ASAP and cauterize them right away. She was hospitalized for 2 or 3 days because of dehydration and such. It took her a while but she finally recovered and has had NO problems with her throat since. Good luck to you!!!!

Old 12-10-2002, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
A friend had it done when she was in her mid-30s. She said recovery was sheer hell. But once it was behind her, and she was not getting sick anymore, she had no regrets.

Her throat hurt so badly she just did not want to eat at all (which you HAVE to do to gain strength to recover). She had her sister staying with her, and she FORCED her to eat something. So I hope you have people around (or arrange to have people look in on you) to make sure you are taken care of. You will probably not feel like doing it yourself.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2002, 09:30 PM   #9

MarlinSmith HB User
I had my chronically infected tonsils (full of holes and white junk) removed at the age of 23. It wasn't any fun by any means, but I feel that it had to be done. You will survive! Good luck!

Old 12-11-2002, 04:45 PM   #10

littlebrace HB User
I know you said to write if you had them out as an adult, but I just wanted to say that I had mine out when I was a little kid and I haven't had strep throat in like 8 years. Just thought I would mention that

Closed Thread