It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2003, 10:39 PM   #1

OkieGal HB User
Post Feeling sick before my period starts

I have been getting sick, like flu like sick, achy all over, hot flashes, headaches, lower backaches and just feel awful all over just before my period starts.
Today I woke up and I felt fine but later in the evening I started getting cold chills, aching all over and my lower back aching too. Also my breasts are very tender right now. I have been feeling like this usually a day or two before my period begins. I was supposed to have an ob/gyn appt for monday because the doc says the best test results will come if I get my pap and exam right before my period starts. I'll have to put it off for a week now.
I have not been to an ob/gyn since my daughter was born and she'll be 8 this June.
I have just a really bad nagging feeling in the back of my mind that something is wrong and I finally was going to go to this new doc and have my yearly pap.
Of course I also suffer from severe anxiety disorders and have frequent panic attacks so my anxiety might be getting to me too
But I am worried about feeling ill right before my period. I usually keep feeling this way into the first one or two days when my period does start then I feel fine again and have my period normally.
Does anyone else feel like this?
Please help

Old 01-11-2003, 05:20 AM   #2
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Yes, I get the same way and I always "get sick" before my period. Hormones do some crazy things to you. I'm also turning 40, however, and for me the hormone fluctuations could be along a different line than for you. I never had these "sick attacks" before my period until this past year or so.

And just like you, they last for a few days before, I get migraines almost like clockwork (that's how I know I'm going to start), feel feverish, nauseous, achey, and the regular PMS stuff like my boobs hurt, crampy, etc., -- I'll even get constipated, very sleepy...

And just like you, it goes away, and I'm fine.

This is also an important and very real hormonal fluctuation that can be measured, and if you exercise, you'll notice that right before your period you are at your absolute weakest. This is not the time you want to do anything physical. But right after your period starts you will have hormonal changes where you'll bounce back and feel actually stronger than before!

It's normal. I think it's just that some women react differently, perceive the sensations differently, and feel differently ABOUT those changes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2003, 01:17 PM   #3

Lily0727 HB User
Are you planning on having anymore children? If not, you could go on birth control consistantly to keep from getting so sick. The only reason that women have periods is because somewhere in the future they want more kids. My Doctor (OBGYN) said that women do not need their periods if they plan on not having more kids. Also, I would suggest that you get in for your pap!!!!!!!!!! please!!! that is SOOO important. Good luck!

Closed Thread