It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2003, 01:13 AM   #1

Dave1980 HB User
Post Bumps on the back of my tongue

I've been wondering about all this for quite some time. This has been going on for a couple years now, but has recently (seemingly) gotten a bit worse. First of all im 22 years old, 6 ft 1, caucasian, 190 lbs, good shape, active. I smoke but aim giving it up, nearly completed that task

However, on the very back of my tongue I can notice a few red bumps, I dont know what they are, they dont hurt or anything their just.. there, and also I have some kind of white crap that grows on my toungue like a fungus or something, like hair or something, usually I can brush most of it away with a tooth brush, and after brushing my teeth, or drinking beer I feel like i have a lerge plegm buildup that kinda makes me want to gag.. actually only when I drink is when it makes me gag. If i try to smoke without taking a sip of something between every few drags I choke slightly.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea what this is? I dont have health insurance and can't afford to go to a doctor.... however if necessary I will, ,I just want to know if anyone knows what the deal is here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2003, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
The red spots, I'd guess are just your taste buds. They're not uniform over your entire tongue. Some are bigger, smaller, more whitish and more red depending where on the tongue they're located.

The white stuff is likely also not a serious condition but rather normal especially in a smoker. It may help you to get a tongue scraper. This can remove alot of this white stuff.

You could possibly have leukoplakia. I doubt this but it's possible. Leukoplakia is the mouth's reaction to chronic irritation. When white patches develop in the mouths of smokers, the condition is called "smoker's keratosis." Snuff and chewing tobacco also produce chronic irritation. You can have leukoplakia at any time during your life, but it is most common among the elderly. Treatment involves removing the source of irritation. Once the source of irritation has been removed, the patch may clear up, usually within weeks or months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #3

Dave1980 HB User
Well, im hoping the source of irritation is not my toungue lol

and yea the white patchey crap is mostly concentrated towards the back of my toungue, I dont do any chewin tobacco or anything, just cigs and alcohol, and like I said im givin up smoking anyway.

I do thank you for yoru reply though.

Old 01-21-2003, 05:38 PM   #4

jennypalooza HB User
I have had the same problem. Come to find out it is thrush. Thrush is a yeast infection treated with myclex disolvable tablets. A tongue scraper helps, but can hurt on the bumps.

Closed Thread