It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2003, 05:18 AM   #1

chrissy6496 HB User
Unhappy Itching all over but no rash!

I am itching all over my body since about a year ago. I don't know where it came from. It's like it came out of the blue! I just scratch myself to death. There is no rash, or no sign of anything there on my body, but whatever it is, it wakes me up at night. I have to take some kind of sleeping pill just to get any kind of sleep, and even then I still wake up itching and scratching like crazy! There is no certain area, just my entire body. I don't know how much I can take of this. I saw 2 doctors, and neither one of them helped much. I think I stumped the dermatologist. My skin gets like it is goosebumps all over that feel like it is *****ly. Then I itch, and after I scratch, the area that I scratched feels warm. I just can't figure it out. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing? If so, does anyone know what it is and the cure if there is one?

Old 01-15-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

Tawnya_Leigh HB User
A few years back I had two bouts of something similar. Both lasting a few weeks. There was no real rash - just itchiness and some redness.

I was tested for allergies. I found out I'm allergic to alot of things - but nothing that seemed to be causing this stupid itchness. Finally the doctors seemed to put it down to a stress reaction. It's funny what stress does to different people.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 05:27 PM   #3
Inactive

CindyA HB User
Lightbulb

STRESS.

Sounds crazy, I know. I was going through the EXACT same thing. My partner said it was stress--I didn't want to believe it. I did an Internet search and the first thing I found - STRESS. There is a lot of information on this on the Web and there are many suggestions for getting it under control--which, essentially, means getting the stress under control--via breathing or whatever else. It still happens with me occasionally. I get the hydrocortisone, apply some, breathe slowly and deeply, remind my brain to slow down and relax, gently place my hand on the place that is itching, breathe, recognize that nothing physiological exists to cause this, breathe some more and it subsides. It's maddening, I know. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Get a blood test done. Some blood disorders show up as an unexplained constant itch.

Old 01-19-2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Another possibility is a reaction to drugs or medication? This can cause itching without a rash, and a funny sensation all over the skin. Areas that are commonly affected are the chest, arms, trunk, thighs, and sometimes the face.

Old 01-19-2003, 10:30 AM   #6
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I get that itching too and I believe the stress part of it too but mine is dry skin I am worse after I bathe. I have tried every soap going and nothing woked untill I started putting baby oil in my bath water. And using lubriderm afterwards. My skin gets so itchy it stings. Mostly my legs arms and back but at times its everywhere. It could be from laundry detergant or soap.
I would ask the doc or derm again I know how uncomfortable you must be feeling and especially when I go out in public I am afraid people will think I have something bad lol

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD...12 years
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured I hope)
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy due to endometrial bleeding after miscarriage (2002)
Hernia Repair(1998)
Apendectomy (infected) 1988
21 year old daughter born with Mullerian Aplasia
18 year old daughter bulimia survivor.
If I can help ANYONE with anything from a papercut to a life threatening illness, I will do my best just to be a friend. " A friend is someone who knows all your faults and loves you anyway".

Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 AM   #7

bruised HB User
Chrissy...When you itch or scratch does it get to the point that it makes it you feel you need something sharper to itch it?You itch and itch but nothings working?Is it worse in the morning than at night?Where's the most itching occuring?On your wrists or behind your legs?When you have a shower or bath and you get out, is it itchy even if you put cream on?I had this happen.

Old 01-19-2003, 11:43 AM   #8

bruised HB User
I forgot to ask..Do between your fingers itch alot?And also does the itch happen more at night than in the morning?My post above asked morning to night.My itch was itchier at night than morning.

Old 01-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #9

chrissy6496 HB User
When I itch, it seems to be worse in the evening to where I just can's sleep without a sleeping pill or two. It does itch even though I put lotion on, and the itching is my entire body, not just in some spots. No rash at all, and when I scratch, it seems to itch even more to the point I just want to use something super sharp to scratch with. I have been using whatever I can find that takes the itch away, but by the time I get done with it, my skin is super red on my back. Whenever my boyfried hugs me or any kind of light touch even, it just itches, and I make him scratch my back all the time. He gets aggrivated sometimes, but I can't help it. I have been itching like this for close to a year now, and it is horrible. If I have scratched right before I take a bath or shower, it will feel *****ly on my skin. Even if I am just sitting there, sometimes my skin looks like goosebumps, and I itch. It is so wierd!

Old 01-19-2003, 02:31 PM   #10

bruised HB User
What I had was scabies.They get worse at night,itch all the time.There's a prescription lotion that doc can prescribe for you.Is your bf itchy?If you do have scabies which is a gross feeling to know you have them and feel dirty,you must disinfect EVERYTHING you've been in contact with.And bf might have to be treated as well because of contact with you.Look it up on the net to see symptoms mabe?And go to doc and ask him about it.Trust me,this thing can be overlooked because of it's strange symptoms.Let me know.

Old 01-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #11
(female)

32skater HB User
Benadryl capsules are great for relieving itching
plus helping you to sleep. These can be bought over
the counter and are great! Good Luck!

Old 01-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #12
(female)

32skater HB User
Another thought entered our head.....laundry
soap or softener? It sounds simple, but it did
happen to us! Got to think of everything. The
benadryl is excellent in the capsule form, but
take at night before going to sleep. Good Luck!

Old 01-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #13
(female)

rosevincent HB User
fabric softeners, laundry detergent can all cause itching
whether on your clothes towels or sheets believe me. fabric softner is like poson ivy to me.
dry skin? try taking some essential fatty acids. like flax oil. stay away from perfumed oils and mineral oils on skin. get some grape seed oil or sesame oil almond oils from the health food store jojba you can get a big bottle from an organic grocer. don't spend a fortune on a little bottle. some people cook with this also as it is healthy, so a big bottle in the cooking oil section is the same thing. mineral oil clogs pores and does not absorb in the skin. baby oil has fragrance.
use it to soak, for massage, or as a body oil. if you must have a scent you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil lavender is soothing. test everything out first because fragrancemay be the culprit

Old 01-30-2003, 06:45 AM   #14
(female)

Beth Ann HB User
Smile

Do you have any other symptoms? Unexplained weight loss? Nightsweats? Just curious.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:17 AM   #15

Lily0727 HB User
It could be dry skin. When you get out of the shower/bath, put a good thick body lotion on. Curel has very good one which you can buy anywhere. Good luck!

Closed Thread