It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003, 04:17 PM   #1
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Post Antihistamine OTC other than Benadryl?

Are there any OTC antihistamines, other than Benadryl, available?

How about Rx's too?

And, are there any that do not have drowsiness as a side-effect?

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
There are tons of other antihistamines.
Brompheniramine (Dimetapp® Allergy, Nasahist B®)
Chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton®)
Clemastine (Tavist-1®)
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®)
Claritin is also available over the counter now and is pretty much the best one that does not have the side effect of drowsiness.
Prescription ones include Clarinex, Allegra and Zyrtec and flonase. Nasonex is also available without a prescription and Rhinocort inhalers are available with a script and often used to help with allergies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2003, 04:54 AM   #3
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Wow, I had no idea there were so many. I knew there were a lot of decongestants, but I thought benadryl was pretty much all there was other than zyrtec rx.

Thank you for the info!

Old 02-14-2003, 05:34 AM   #4

badgirl HB User
Merrida, Chlorpheniramine is another antihistamine, Badgirl

Old 02-15-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Chlorpheniramine isn't a non-drowsy one.

Old 02-16-2003, 04:28 AM   #6
Inactive

Merrida HB User
So are claritin and clarinex and zyrtec the only ones that do not cause drowsiness?

Why do anithistamines cause drowsiness anyway?

Old 02-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Xyzal are non-drowsy, too.

I found this info:

"Histamine is is not just involved in allergies. In fact it plays a vital role in the brain. What it does in the brain is to keep us attentive, alert, and awake.

So if we stopped all the histamine in the body from working, we would get rid of allergy troubles, but fall asleep, or at least become inattentive. This would make us dangerous drivers, bad students, and generally bad at all the daily tasks which need alertness.

That is exactly what happens if you take old antihistamines. They should not be used any more, except for special reasons, such as when the doctor wants to make you sleepy.

Fortunately newer antihistamines help allergies with little or no effect on your brain. How do they do this? It's very simple. Some medicines hardly get into the brain from the blood. This is a disadvantage with antibiotics for brain infections. But when research workers made antihistamines which hardly got into the brain it solved the problem of sleepiness and inattentiveness. So the new antihistamines are vastly better."

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 02-18-2003).]

Old 02-17-2003, 05:59 PM   #8
Inactive

Merrida HB User
What most people don't realize is that when they take OTC medications for insomnia that all they're taking is benadryl, or another drowsy-causing antihistamine. They'd fare far better just buying a generic blister pack of diphenhydramine HCL -- it would be a lot cheaper.

But that's another topic.

I went out and bought some claritin. I wish they made some that wasn't 24 hour (but I think all claritin is, right?)

So we'll see how it goes.

I've often wondered just exactly what the mechanisms are that cause the actual drowsiness response when you take antihistamines -- I did not understand how this happened.

I appreciate the info.

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 02-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
My favorite is Chlor-trimeton. It does not cause drowsiness, and it comes in many different dosages (4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, and perhaps 24 hours). It usually works well for me. I also think that Sudafed is an antihistamine (sudaphedrine) that comes in non-drowsy formulas. As for the question about Claritin, I think that the prescription form used to come in 12 hour and 24 hour tablets.

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 02-17-2003).]

Old 02-18-2003, 06:39 AM   #10
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Chlor-trimeton does have the side effect of causing drowsiness. You just happen to be one of the people that don't get that side effect. The antihistamines that cause drowsiness do not cause drowsiness in everyone so it a personal choice as to what allergy med someone takes. Some work better for certain people than other. As for Claritin being a 24 hour drug the reason for that is it is specifically for allergy relief and people with allergies need relief from there symptoms around the clock. Unless it is only outdoor allergies you suffer from you would need the allergy relief around the clock. The best thing to do if you are looking for an over the counter allergy med would be to take the the time to try each one over a period of time to see which one relives your symptoms the best. Also if you have allergies you might be better off seeking the help of an allergist to get them under control.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:48 AM   #11
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I don't know if I even have allergies, this is more like a guesstimate and test.

As for pseudofed, it is not an antihistamine, it is a decongestent.

Closed Thread