It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 05:40 PM   #1

dobiedisco HB User
Red face Burning pain in outer thigh

For the past month or so, I've had a burning pain in my upper, outer thigh, covering an area about the size of a fist. No injury has taken place and it's almost a daily occurrence. The affected area doesn't have any redness, etc. Pressure offers a bit of relief. I'm 41, average weight and stay active in the yard and working on rentals, have an office job.

Any suggestions? I've been putting off seeing the doctor, since I don't have insurance. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2003, 08:01 PM   #2

not2bad HB User
Sounds like it could be some type of neuralgia. It could be due to poor circulation. Do you smoke cigarettes and are you over 40? Is your skin very sensitive to anything touching it? Is it a sensation like a burn?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2003, 09:42 AM   #3

dobiedisco HB User
I'm 41 and a non-smoker. The pain is a burning sensation that responds to pressure. Under normal circumstances, my skin isn't sensitive and I don't have any problems with swelling. I do have herniated discs in my lower spine, along with disc degeneration in that area and my neck, but this isn't the same type of pain I've experienced for those conditions.

Old 05-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #4

not2bad HB User
dobie, the reason I asked these questions is not because I have any definate answer for you, but because I, too, have had the same symptoms in my outer thigh on and off for years (I'm quite a bit older than you)and haven't ever gone to the doctor about it, because it doesn't last long and is usually long gone when I do see a doctor and have forgotten about it. It also never get worse over time. It's just annoying when it happens. Sometimes it has even been so sensitive there, that I can't have the sheets touch my skin.

Any burning, itching, tickle or pain is due to nerve function and these things are all degrees of response to impulses being sent to the affected area by the brain. It is also, coincidental that I, also, have problems with my spine and neck. It is very possible that the nerves coming from the spine are being irritated in some way from the spinal imperfections and it effects the nerve endings that happen to be located in the hip area.

Or, it could have to do with circulation in general. Arteries harden when we get older, as you know, and circulation becomes poorer, so this is also a possibility as to why we get these uncomfortable sensations. That fact you work in an office may be a contributing factor if you sit for long periods of time.

At any rate, since there is no swelling, redness, blistering or extreme pain, it doesn't sound terribly serious, but if you are worried, I would certainly suggest you ask your doctor about it.

Hope your feeling better by the time you read this!

Old 05-11-2003, 08:01 PM   #5
Inactive

thehomefolks HB User
I ALSO HAVE THIS BURNING SENSATION...BUT IT'S IN MY UPPER ARM AND BACK AREA.....WHY DID YOU ASK IF SHE SMOKED???? ANY RELATION.....

Old 05-14-2003, 11:36 PM   #6

not2bad HB User
Sorry to take so long responding. The reason I asked is because it is said by the medical community that long term smoking contributes to poor circulation. It is not uncommon for older smokers to have poor circulation in their extremities causing pain, numbness, tingling, 'pins and needles', or burning sensations. Not necessarily all of these symptoms.

Old 05-15-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
(female)

Geneva1 HB User
A couple of years ago, I had a pain that sounds just like that. It hurt the worst when I crossed my legs.
When I had my yearly physical, I ask my Dr about it,
and showed him where the pain was. He took his hand,
pressed down in that area, and I about jumped off of the table! He said it was my siatic nerve, the longest
and thickest nerve in the body, and that there is really not much I could do about the pain, other than
Tylenol or Motrin. It was 6 or 7 months before it finally stopped bothering me.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:18 PM   #8

dobiedisco HB User
I've had sciatic nerve pain for the past 14 years due to being hit by a car, but it's been a different type of pain. I did wonder if this could be related, but wasn't sure. Hopefully, it'll pass, too!

Closed Thread