It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2002, 02:29 AM   #1

MotorMouthMommy HB User
Question Cushings Syndrome?

Does anyone here have Cusings Disease or Syndrome? Or if anyone knows anything about it?

My Dr's think that is what I may have and I would love to talk to someone who knows about it.

Thanks in advance....

Old 10-04-2002, 10:32 AM   #2
Inactive

1Dove HB User
Cushings syndrome is an endocrine disorder characterized by excessive cortisol levels in the blood, usually due to a pituitary tumor. Symptoms include:

Weight gain in the face, above the collar bone, and on the back of the neck.
Skin changes with easy bruising, purplish stretch marks, and red cheeks.
Excess hair grown on face, neck, chest, abdomen, and thighs.
Weakness and fatigue.
Loss of muscle.
Lack of menstration in women.
Lack of libido.
Hypertension.
Diabeles mellitus.
Depression with mood swings.

If the cushings is caused by a pituitary tumor, the most likely treatment is to remove the tumor, usually through surgery. Usually this surgery is done up through the sinus cavity and into the pituitary. This type of surgery is quite advanced now and often only requires overnight hospitalization. There are also other causes of Cushings, and a lot of information on the web about it. Best of luck and health to you.

[This message has been edited by 1Dove (edited 10-05-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2002, 03:46 PM   #3

gem2000 HB User
hi,

my cousin had cushings syndrome caused by a pituitary tumor. For three years, she suffered from hairloss, acne, fatigue, and her face became very bloated and she developed stretch marks. These are common symptoms. Her doctors didn't think it was serious! Finally she was diagnosed and had pit surgery to remove the tumor last december. Within 2 months, she looked like her old self again. The only remaining problems she has are a few stretch marks and her periods have not returned to normal (she is still taking oral cortisol). If you need to talk or have any questions just ask.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:19 AM   #4

MotorMouthMommy HB User
Gem,
Thanks so much. I too have terrible acne and hair loss and many of the other related symptoms. It's good to know your cousin is doing better now. Hopefully I'll find out more info soon when my test results come back. thanks for youe help.

MMM

Old 10-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #5

gem2000 HB User
Hi,

let us know your how you do, ok? There is a very good forum that you can access by doing a search for " maryo cushings disease" that has lists of many good doctors etc. Finding the right doctor is key, because most are not familiar with the disease and confuse it with other disorders such a PCOS. The site has many people going through this problem as well in all areas across the states, and they are very helpful. Good luck, and keep in mind that there is an end to this problem.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:32 PM   #6
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
This is for Hello2U. I hope you read it all.

Old 04-19-2003, 01:36 AM   #7
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
Hello2U, did you read all of it (this above here)?

Old 04-20-2003, 09:24 PM   #8

hello2u HB User
yeah i read it, thanks. im just not sure on what to do,im just so lost. i was wondering if anyone had like nausea or problems concentrating or seeing and stuff like that. and if yes, did you notice them to come back strong for a while then go away for a couple weeks? or do you get impatient easily or cant stand or walk for long? i mean im not saying i have this as a definite but i have a lot of the symptoms of it and i dont know how to go about being tested and everything. I mean the only thing thats really concerning me is i havent gotten my period yet and that cant be a good thing. Anyways you guys have been big helps so thanks.any replies would be awesome

Old 05-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #9

1SuperMom HB User
I was just recently diagnosed with Cushing Disease. I came to find out because after a complete hysterectomy in 2001, I kept gaining weight. I called it the "Spade Cat Syndrome" and accepted the fact I was getting chubby and older. I suddenly developed Rosacea (red cheecks) and again, thought, this is the downside to have a body change at 39. 2 years later and 40 pounds heavier, I decided to go to the doctor and see if I couldn't go on a serious weight loss plan (SlimFast didn't work) with the help of Meridia. I still gained weight after my two month checkup! The Dr. knew something else was up so he referred me to an endocrinologist who then sent me over to the hospital for a series of urine and blood tests. It confirmed what my original Dr. has suspected. Cushings Syndrome. Your cortisol levels through a series of urine collection samples and blood work, and in my case, an MRI was ordered to confirm the small tumor on my pituatary gland. At this point we are deciding which course of treatment to go with but hope this helps in understanding what symptoms you may have. Good Luck

Old 05-27-2003, 08:30 AM   #10

LWall HB User
1supermom - I have been diagnosed with an unknown mass on my adrenal gland. I see an endocrinologist in June and am going crazy. Gaining weight like crazy, swelling of my hands, stomach, neck, face, fatique, severe headaches. Some days it is not as bad as others, is this how it was for you? I've had all this for several months and of course first diagnosis was to see a psychitrist!! Has your doctor told you that this could be caused by the small mass on your pituitary?

Old 05-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #11

1SuperMom HB User
LWall...

I sounds very familiar! I have seen more psychologists than I can even believe! They have prescribed every (and I mean every) form of antidepressant, anti-seizure, etc. and to no avail. I thought it was peri-menopause since so many other symptoms went along with it. My ankles are huge after just standing up for a few hours and my face has become so large, I now have a wattle! Very depressing! I have accute migranes (could be estrogen related), and I just generally feel like blah; which is not like me at all. I think the best thing for you is to see your endocrinologist have let them poke and prod to see what happens. You will be doing a lot of urine collections to start. I also had a dexamethocode (sp?) test which is where I took a pill at 11:00 p.m. than had my blood drawn at 8:00 am the following morning. The MRI confirmed what the dr. suspected. In most research I have read about Cushings (syndrome is w/out the tumor), is it does not indicate the tumor is usually malignant. Thank goodness. They go up through the nose to perform the removal and I would be interested to find someone who had this procedure done (hence the search on this site) to see what it entailed or if they took the radiation/medication. Good luck and let me know how it goes in June.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:38 PM   #12
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
for hello2U.

Closed Thread