It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Post Nose bleed - Blood clot.

Hi.
I am female and only ever seem to have bleeding noses during my period.
When I was younger (<10) I had nose bleeds quite a lot, but then between being 10 and about 17 I didn't ever, or rarely had them. I didn't have my period until 12-13. Now I get a nose bleed almost each month.
One month I had a large clot of blood. I'm not sure that it was normal. I had to pull it out and it would have measured about 15cm (6 inches) in length.

Should I mention this to anyone?

Incase it makes a difference, I am 19 years old.

[This message has been edited by Greenoctopus18 (edited 04-29-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #2

shellebelle HB User
I only get nosebleeds when the air is really dry, but the same blood clot thing happens to me. In my experience, blowing the clot out is the quickest and cleanest way to stop the bleed. Sounds gross, but what happened to you sounds normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 07:09 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Anyone with frequent nosebleeds should have this checked by the doc to be sure there is no physical cause for it. As for the poster who gets them in dry weather..........they can be prevented pretty much with the use of vaseline to moisten your nares and a humidifer at home. When the weather starts getting dryer use the vaseline inside your nares a couple of times a day to help keep it moist. Also use saline nasal spray to help keep it moist.

Old 05-02-2003, 08:45 PM   #4

Featherhead HB User
I have the same trouble with nosebleeds. In fact, at one point in my life, they were so severe that I had to have my nose cauterized. That was not a pleasant experience, but it did help somewhat. I still have problems with nosebleeds around the time of my period or when the air is dry. Vaseline is a very good solution to keeping nosebleeds to a minimum. If your nosebleeds become frequent or severe, you should see a doctor. It may be a symptom of something else.

Old 05-02-2003, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Hi. Thanks for your replies. I guess it is more common than I thought.

When I was younger (about 10, I guess) I had a nose bleed exceeding 30 minutes so saw the doctor and he said there is a small blood vessel in there that is sensitive to heat. He said it could get frozen out, but reccommended leaving it if I could deal with it. That was always from the right nostril.

Then after several years of no bleeds it came back.. Now in the left nostril. Could there be some reason for that blood vessel to bleed only during a period?

Could this also be caused from endometriosis in the pelvic region?

Is a blood clot not reason enough to see a doctor?

THANKS again.

Old 06-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #6

sunshine6069 HB User
My son is almost 6 and has bloody noses atleast 3-4 times a month. The first "major" one happened last summer while we were walking around at a festival. The first was a normal one. It bled for a few minutes, and then stopped. As we were leaving it started again, and a blood clot about 5 inches long came out of his nose. I was immediately frightened and were lucky enough to find someone who knew first aid. When his nose bleeds, it drips constantly like a faucet would if you left it on. I took him to his doctor the following day and she cauterized the inside of his nose, and that was supposed to help. It hasn't. He still gets bloody noses, and I just know now that the easiest way to get it to stop bleeding is to have him lightly blow his nose, to remove the clot. It is very scary to him, I can only imagine how that feels. I wish there was another way to help, but I have yet to figure that out.

Closed Thread