It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 11:45 AM   #1

lamak HB User
Post twitcing in upper thigh

Hi all,

I am 16 and i experience quite persistently twitching in my upper thigh, when it does occur it will continue for a long time. I was wondering if their is something i can be doing to prevent this? SOmeone told me to drink water and increasse electrolyte intake. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Old 07-11-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Twitching can be very annoying and can also be a symptom of other health problems like thyroid, blood sugar imbalance and MS, if you get it often and start to get it in other parts of your body and start getting other symptoms also then you may want to have that checked by your doc.
I think everyone gets twitching at some time or another, but if you get it very often then you need to start finding out why. Drinking a lot of water is always a good thing and can't hurt!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #3

lamak HB User
wow Thanks thats pretty serious because diabetes runs in my family. Do the muscle spasms occur due to high blood sugar levels or low? i read that "tremors" occur when blood sugar is low. But I do eat a lot of sweet foods stuff so i am pretty sure i donthave low blood sugar. I just pray that i dont have high blood sugar. Any more reassuarance or reccomendations are welcome. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Isolated twitching in your thigh is probably nothing to worry about. It's little muscle fibres firing away at random. The most common triggers are fatigue (lack of restful sleep), dehydration, stress, anxiety, over-exercised muscle, a diet deficiency or a drug side effect (such as diuretics, corticosteroids and estrogens)

Many people experiencing these symptoms fear they may have MS, or some other neurological disorder. A simple clinical rule is that twitching in relaxed muscle is NEVER indicative or motor system disease unless there is an associated weakness, atrophy, or reflex change.

So try to relax....I had a thigh twitch that lasted a couple of weeks ....drove me nuts.....and then one day it just stopped as suddenly as it started.

Make sure you are getting enough water and take a multivitamin daily in case you're not getting enough potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet.

zuzu xxxx

Old 07-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #5

lamak HB User
thanks a lot guys thats really reassuring. I have had unfortunate losses in my family due to diabetes so i got scared.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:08 AM   #6

bonedog1 HB User
look im 35 now 3 years i was told i have type 2 diabetes. i now have extreme pain in my upper legs plus lose of feeling in some really important places. you better check with your doctor and make sure you dont have diabetes. trust me when the nerves start to go so does a lot of other things.

------------------
No pain, No gain, Then i should be getting Paid REAL SOON.

Closed Thread