It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2003, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User
Post nose going numb?

For the past day or so I have noticed a tingling sensation at the tip of my nose. It feels as if it is going numb - its the type of feeling you get when a body part starts to go to sleep (if you know what I am talking about)

Any ideas what is causing this? It happened a few times yesterday, and once today.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
JULES-
How are your teeth? It's possible that if any of your upper teeth have a problem, or a tooth nerve is affected, the sensation can be "referred " to your nose.

Any other info you can give us? Any other symptoms at all?

It'll probably disappear as quickly as it arrived. Your mouth is full of nerves and even chewing wrong momentarily,can cause tingling anywhere in the face.
Doesn't sound too serious from what you say but if it persists, maybe you should see a doctor, just to put your mind at ease.

zuzu xxx

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 07-29-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User
hey zuzu -

the only teeth problems I have are tmj and that I grind my teeth. I don't have any other symptoms.

I'm on a lot of medicine (Lupron, HRT, Prozac and Wellbutrin) so maybe its a combination of these things? But I've been taking them for awhile, so why would it start causing problems now?

I'm not too terribly worried, I just was wondering. Its odd and weird, but im not freaking out about it (yet)

Old 07-29-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

You are not to freak out!
I had to smile when you said the ONLY teeth problem you had was TMJ and grinding....

That'll do it, kid!

Just about every prescription drug on the market, including Lupron, Prozac and Wellbutrin has "parasthesia" (tingling, numness) as a possible side effect...But I just checked the monographs for these and it's VERY rare in all three, and since you said you've been taking them for a while, it is highly unlikely to be drug related.

It really sounds like a consequence of the grinding.

zuzu xxx

Old 01-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #5

calli69ca HB User
Re: nose going numb?

I have had the same problem with tingling, but mine has been going on and off for a few week's.It's just my nose and lasts for hours at a time.
This is the first post I have found about this rather annoying problem.So, I'm hoping maybe someone else might have some ideas.
I do not have any problems with my teeth and don't take any kind of medication.(the occasional tylenol for headache)
I am however,going through a very early menopause.I am 41. Maybe that has sometning to do with it?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

lady68 HB User

I've had the same problem for a few months now. It comes and goes. I will be a few days without feeling it and then all of a sudden I will feel it many times in one day. Its always at the same place it never changes. I tried to search the internet for some answers but unfortunatly didn't find anything. Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Thank you.

Lady

Old 06-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #7

lauren838 HB User

yesterday morning i slipped in the shower and proceeded to hit my right eye directly on the corner of the back of my toilet (which is located just next to my shower)-i know it sounds weird but im very accident prone-i got two shallow cuts, one on on my nose and one under my right eye-there is also a deeper cut on my right eyelid-it swelled, but not too badly-now i have a strange headache and the end of my nose is tingling, as if asleep-is this a problem?

Old 06-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hey lauren,just to be on the safe side,I would most definitely see your doc for a full neuro eval.from what you described and the extent of your injuries,you probably hit that toilet with alot of force.you could have suffered at the very least,a mild concussion.the headache would be kind of a symptom of that.it wouldn't hurt you to see your doc,just to be safe,ya know/if the headache lasts thuout the day and is ther tomorrow,i would really get to your doc at that time if you need to hold off on today.

Just an FYI,having ongoing parathesias in a specific area should at some point be checked out a bit further.not to freak you out or anything but this used to ahppen to me with the back of my tongue and kind of towards the inside of my mouth going from the throat to almost the front teeth area?started actually when I was PG with my first aby and would appear at wierd times for the next 19 years.never really agve it much thought til one day when I had to have a c spine MRI to find out which one of my discs were herniated,and when the results came back i not only had a herniated c 6-7 but they also found what was called a cavernoma that had been lurking inside of my spinal cord since like before I was even born.this was what had been causing the on and off again parasthesias for all those years.

i also now have the same type of nose paras that you are talking about ever since my spinal cord was injured from the surgery they had to do to remove that cavernoma.it damaged some cranial nerves during the surgery.

look up crainial nerves on a google search and it will lead you eventually to a site that will show you how the cranials run in your face to see just where your particular para is and what nerve actually governs it.this could very well be stemming from you TMJ.

just keep track of the para,like when it started and how extensive the actual involvement to your nose is and any new possible symptoms or widening of the affected area.just in case this could be something a bit more involved.this would give you a sort of timeline of when certain things popped in or changed insome way.

i don't mean to freak you out here or anything,just giving you a fuller range of possible explanations. usually when you experience some sort of para,it is because a nerve somewhere is somehow being affected in some way.please keep us posted.FB

Old 06-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
(female)

cookikim71 HB User

I had the same problem my nose would go numb and mybe part of my lip then my face after a wile I fould out it was migranes but I wasn't getting the headaches. now I get the headaches but in the beging it was my nose numb and contiuned. have it checked out.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 AM   #10
(female)

cjest HB User

I have experienced a similar problem. It actually became quite painful. Several doctors could not find the cause. The final decision was nerve damage in my face. Later through research I found out that my thyroid is not working well. When I take kelp with additional iodine the pain and tingling goes away. I have take the kelp every day or the symptoms return.

Closed Thread