It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2002, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran

Temperamental HB User
Post Coating on tongue..what is normal?

Hi, I know that its normal to have some sort of coating on the tongue I think everyone has it but how much is normal? I'm probably just being paranoid. I have recently noticed (though I might have always been this way not sure) that I have a little more coating than usual towards the back of my tongue. Its really hard to scrape off even with a tongue scraper or a tongue brush without gagging. Otherwise my oral health is excellent. Somebody brought up on another board I might have thrush but I don't think so-Thrush (yeast in the mouth)from what I know and what I've seen in pictures is usually white patches all over the mouth. Its also usually seen only in immune supressed people, really bad oral hygiene, or people on antibiotics. I don't think I have that I just think I have a little more coating than usual. On the back is really my only concern. I went to my dentist for a checkup 2 weeks ago and he didnt see any abnormalities just said I need to brush my tongue better in the back. Should I stop worrying about this?

Old 10-23-2002, 03:29 PM   #2
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
Brush your tongue better,& don't worry about It,the dentist Is right......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2002, 04:32 PM   #3

mfry32 HB User
I agree.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:02 AM   #4

PrincessShana HB User
Make sure you drink enough water. That stuff is probably just food particals that have stuck themselves there. Water will help wash it down. Brushing is a good idea too.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:18 AM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

Don't worry about it at all. However, in Chinese Medicine, tongue coating does have significance and can be quite facsinating once you get into it - I am an acupuncture student, so do have a vested interest, but otherwise don't worry about it.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran

Temperamental HB User
Hi, thanks for the responses. I found out is normal to have more towards the back because its hard to brush back there without choking. I am probably worrying over nothing. I'm not going to obsess over my mouth anymore.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2002, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Unhappy

All I can add is, About 6 mos. ago I had a heavy coating on my tongue. Went to the doc, didn't really seem like he knew what it was, then in the end said it must be some kind of virus. Gave me a script for antibiotics, and it cleared up a couple days later, so far it's not returned.
buck

Old 04-15-2003, 04:52 AM   #8

Samuelemouse HB User
Antibiotics do not work on viruses. It was a bacterial growth. Many people have it. It gives bad breath.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:09 AM   #9

restrained73 HB User
It's perfectly normal. I have that too, with a lot towards the back. Despite gagging, I always make sure I brush back there. I've never actually thrown up...yet. lol. Throwing up is one of the feelings I most hate, so it's kind of surprising that I can do that. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/wow.gif

Old 06-18-2003, 09:06 PM   #10

ballen HB User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ballen:
[B]Bad Breath Ė Postnasal drip, and white-coated tongue.
======================================== =============
Hi, for the past 6 years I have suffered with chronic bad breath. I had a constant white tongue and terrible rotten egg festal smelling breath. I would get a terrible metallic taste and have constant postnasal drip that would cause me to have to clear my throat all the time. I have even coughed up tonsil stones. Then well my ENT put me on one medication one after the other and it did clear up some of the postnasal drip. I bought a Waterpic and started using it. I tried some of every kind of bad breath products and tongue scrapers but I could never get rid of the coated white tongue and the rotten egg of the fecal smelling bad breath.

Until my sister told me about an old home remedy that involved gargling with a solution of baking soda, peroxide, and vinegar. Well I tried it and, the very first time, IT WORKED!!!!!! The coated white tongue was GONE. I brushed, flossed and scarped my tongue, and gargled again. AND I CAN TESTIFY TO YOU, THAT IN THE NAME OF MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, YES IT WORKED, IT WORKED, IT WORKED
HALLELUJAH, IT WORKED!!!!!!

A few days later a went to get my teeth cleaned and told my dentist about my problem and how I have spent hundreds of dollars on bad breath products and tongue scrapers how I have now after so long finally founded the cure, he said that yes my new gargling rinse should work well (the peroxide and baking soda will kill bacteria off my tongue, it was causing the white coating to form on my tongue). He WARNED me not to overdo gargling with this solution because it might start to kill off some of the good bacteria that also live on the tongue, and that it would eventually start eating away the enamel often my teeth. He prescribed me a prescription of a peroxide rinse that would give me great results but do it safety. The name of the prescription is PERIDEX OR PERIOGARD. It only caused me $7.23

FOR NOW ,ITíS WORKING GREAT. So I still take my sinus medication, brush, floss, tongue scrape and now rinse with the PERIDEX and every now and then I use my Waterpic and thing are great. PRAISE THE LORD!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!

I know you have tried some of everything, but just try this, and you will be able to say joyfully

THANK YOU JESUS!!! THANK YOU JESUS!!! THANK YOU, JESUS!!!

Old 06-19-2003, 10:54 AM   #11

lauras3rules HB User
Hi. You would probably know if you had thrush.. It is uncomfortable and very sore. I don't know who came up with the invention of the tongue scraper, but I don't know what I'd do without it.. It just makes my mouth feel cleaner!!!

Old 06-20-2003, 08:14 AM   #12

Bellagirl54 HB User
I have been trying to find an already open topic about my current problem, but couldn't. The only thing close enough was this one. My coating is not white. It is not thrush either. I have started rinsing my mouth about 4-5 weeks ago with mouthwash AND peroxide and recently (about 3 days ago) I have noticed that tongue is BROWN. I looks very freaky and I don't know what it could be. I tried to think back as to what I have done differently (diet, drinks, smoking, toothpaste, etc) and nothing comes up, except for the mouthwash and peroxide rinse "recipe". Should I be freaked out? Need to see a doctor ASAP? ANY PLEASE HELP!

------------------
N.A.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:15 AM   #13

Bellagirl54 HB User
I have been trying to find an already open topic about my current problem, but couldn't. The only thing close enough was this one. My coating is not white. It is not thrush either. I have started rinsing my mouth about 4-5 weeks ago with mouthwash AND peroxide and recently (about 3 days ago) I have noticed that my tongue is BROWN. I looks very freaky and I don't know what it could be. I tried to think back as to what I have done differently (diet, drinks, smoking, toothpaste, etc) and nothing comes up, except for the mouthwash and peroxide rinse "recipe". Should I be freaked out? Need to see a doctor ASAP? ANYONE, PLEASE HELP!

------------------
N.A.

Old 08-15-2003, 06:36 AM   #14

jordansaginaw HB User
a white coating on back of tongue is usually normal. But dont just assume its normal... If its thick, and stays around for a long time it can be somthing else. Look on the sides of your tongue for bigger white spots, and your cheeks, and top of mouth. Thrush usually has these signs, plus a couple symptoms, such as painful tongue, swollen glands, sore throat and difficult swollowing. Thrush means thats a bacterial infection have become severe in your system, and your immune system is weak and cant fight it off.

Closed Thread