It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2003, 07:19 AM   #1
Inactive

ariela HB User
Post Smelly armpits (like cat pee on clothes)

Ok, now this is embarassing.

I never had this problem until a couple of years ago.

A couple of hours after I take my shower and get dressed, and sometimes even before that, I feel that my armpits are very sweaty... once the sweat is on my clothes it smeals really bad, like cat pee almost ( I have a cat, I know what I'm talking about). It is not a regular smelly arm pit smell, but very acid like. It is hard to describe. Cat pee is the best.

I am not overweight, my health is really good in general, I do have some hypothyroidism, and my higiene is perfect too...

I shower once and often twice a day because of that.

I have tried all deodorants, and it's the same.

Any comments?

Old 03-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

HI- Don't be embarrassed...we all write of really personal stuff on these boards!
I'm curious...Given that you are hypothyroid, are you on medication for it? If so, did the armpit odor co-incide with starting these meds? Often certain medications cause body odor , even the odor you describe. I'm a cat owner so I know what you are talking about. It's different than "regular B.O.", but nevertheless, something is altering your body chemistry.
Have you started taking any vitamin or mineral supplements?
Those too could be the culprit.
Anything else new in your diet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Inactive

ariela HB User
I have had that for about 2 years now, maybe more.

Today is my second day taking the thyroid pills, so this is definitely not it.

I've been on the pill for about 1 year too, so that isn't it either.

Other than that, I only take some multi-vitamins on a daily basis.

The only thing I could think of is some change in my metabolism after quemo and radiation, due to the Hodgkin's.

I also have some seborrheic dermatitis, and it gives me some red "allergies" on my face... but no other parts of the body. I use a low dosis of cortisone for that.

Other than that... I'm pretty healthy, and like I said before, very good higiene from head to toe.

The diet has been pretty much the same for the last years.

Thank you for your comments...

Old 03-06-2003, 10:20 AM   #4

gwle HB User
Have you tried presription strength Drysol? I heard it works wonders. After the first few applications, you wont have armpit sweat for up to 6 months. Check it out if you haven't.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
Inactive

ariela HB User
I have never heard of that. I will check it out.
Thank you.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi- You've had a lot of health issues in your life and I'm thrilled to hear you're doing great now. I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, a metabolic imbalance, hormonal dysfunction from chemo maybe, the steroids....the best thing to do would be to check with your doctor about it....Sorry I can't be more helpful but I can almost guarantee that whatever is causing it can be eliminated. Keep us posted....

Old 03-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You do need to bring this to your docs attention so that he can be sure there is no physical/metabolic cause for this. Once he runs a few tests he can decide what to do based on the results.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:02 PM   #8

Esperanza HB User
I am sorry that you are experiencing that. We as Americans are so into not smelling nice - I have done extensive travelling, and this is not the case in most countries.
But as a fellow American, I am into the same thing - and so therefore I was horrified to smell my 7 year old child with bad body odor, specifically the type that you describe.
My sister suggested watching his diet, and it seemed to help - when I fed him Italian with high garlic, he seemed to exude the odor more. So I began to curtail the onions, garlic and other strong smelling spices.
He is a teenager now - and is neurotic about his appearance - he uses a strong deodorant (believe it or not it is Secret Platinum) and loads himself with cologne.
Come to think of it, I am also like him - unless I use deodorant, no matter how often I shower or how clean I am, I can have the same problem.
The other thing - watch what you wear - synthetic fibers will never get the odor out, once it has penetrated. We have to throw away these clothing articles - rayon and polyester are the worse!. Stick to cotton, silk, wool, linen, etc - I hope this helps - it has helped our family.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:01 PM   #9

NiceDay HB User
Lightbulb

Ariela,

I cannot believe that I finally have found someone else with this problem. I have the same problem, and this is not just a BO problem. It really is like cat pee. If I get really, really stressed out, I can make a small room smell like someone just got a perm, but normally, cat pee is a good discription. I am also not overweight. I shower twice a day, I have used every type of deoderant and deoderant soap out there(even the mineral salt stuff), but I will still be sweaty and stinky with in about an hour or two. I am a normal, attractive female, who started having this problem about 3-4 years ago. I do not want to bore you and everyone else with all my details, but you could go see a dermatologist, which is the only recommendation I have been able to get...until today. Which is how I found this web sit. In the last year I have had about 4 cysts turn up on both of my overies. These are very painful, and tomorrow I get to have an ultrasound done to check my most recent one out. While talking to my GYNO, she said she thinks I have Endometriosis, which I am really not sure what all it entails yet, but it causes your hormones (I cannot spell, so please forgive me) to go crazy. Basically, there is something wrong with my overies and possibley other inside female parts, that causes my body to create extra testosteron (again, sorry), and one of the main symptoms of extra testosteron, is extra sweat, and extra bad body odor. I do not know if you have this, I don't even know if I have this, but I am going to find out tomorrow hopefully, and to be honest, I won't mind keeping the cysts if someone can just get rid of the body odor. Look up endometriosis, and see if it sounds like anything you might have. If not, I would try the dermatologist, and then check out chemical imbalances. I am so optimistic right now, just to think I might be able to get this taken care of. I hope this helps you in some way. Let me know, I will check back. Best Luck!!!!!

Old 04-08-2003, 11:16 PM   #10
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
Have you been eating alot of meat in the past 2 yrs. I don't smell unless I eat meat of any kind or onions or garlic. Highly acid output where ever it is coming from is a sign of not enough water intake. The lyphatic system is like over 60% of your body's water volume- your body is ridding toxins of some sort that is the job of your lymphatic system, kidneys, liver. I would not use some thing that is used for hyperhydrosis excessive sweating(sp) that drys out your body- don't mess with your kidneys or electrolytes(sp) either. After seeing a Doctor like you intend to, ask the doctor if it is okay to use baby wipes under your arms, the natural unscented fragrence free/no alcohol, if yes give it a try.

By the way, does your multivitamin have a large dose of the B vitamins- because B smells funny, but it gives you lots of balanced energy. If you do have high amounts of B in the vitamin then you should change to a diff multivitamin - because too much of anything has side effects that can be toxic to your body stick with the RDV.

[This message has been edited by HeyThere (edited 04-09-2003).]

Old 04-09-2003, 06:15 AM   #11

NiceDay HB User
I do not eat alot of meat, and I do have to take vitamins. But that is not the smell, or the issue. I had this smell issue about 2 and 1/2 years before I started taking vitamins. My hope was that it might be from a vitamin deficiency. It helped for a few days,and then returned to normal. I did get a prescription from a doctor for the hyperhydrosis excessive sweating, and that gave me a rash and it hurt to put my arms down. I used that stuff for two days, and that was that. I tried the wipes too, but if any of the sweat gets on your shirt before you can wipe it off, your done. And I work in an office, right outside the VP's office, so I cannot wipe at my desk. I really hope the doctor tells me something that can fix this. Work is bad enough wondering if people are talking about how clearly I must not shower or anything...I am at the point where I try to not go anywhere for fear of embarassing myself.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:06 PM   #12
(female)

haylinda HB User
I don't know if people are still reading this forum, but boy do I equate with this problem. I've had problems with body odor since is was a teen ager. It has gotten to be such a problem I find myself not going places. It is not a hygeine problem, I too shower, use deo, and everything else I can think of. I am sure part of it is stress, as it intensifies when I am stressed, but that is just because you prespire more when you are nervous. I must go to a doctor over this, I am too old to be too embarrassed any more.

Old 11-22-2003, 03:31 PM   #13

bass HB User
Re: Smelly armpits (like cat pee on clothes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haylinda
I don't know if people are still reading this forum, but boy do I equate with this problem. I've had problems with body odor since is was a teen ager. It has gotten to be such a problem I find myself not going places. It is not a hygeine problem, I too shower, use deo, and everything else I can think of. I am sure part of it is stress, as it intensifies when I am stressed, but that is just because you prespire more when you are nervous. I must go to a doctor over this, I am too old to be too embarrassed any more.
Yes, we still read this forum. I have this problem also and I have used Drysol, Maxim and other products but no success. I last option is surgery, in fact I had an appointment but cancel it. If anyone finds a solution please post here.

Old 11-23-2003, 07:53 AM   #14
Inactive

vbcmemphis HB User

My sympathies to everyone suffering with this odor issue. I also think stress, causes the problem to worsen**and who could help but be stressed when you are so worried about the odor!

I have a few suggestions, I hope maybe something will help. First, I have heard of a treatment for excessive sweating using botox injections. The report I saw on a TV news program was very promising. I'm not sure what kind of Dr. would perform these injections. Maybe you can find something about it on the internet. Also, when I experienced an odor problem in the past I took zinc (mineral pills) orally, I'm not sure of the mg. but you can experiment and see if that helps with the odor. It was not an excessive dosage. It will not decrease the wetness but will help with the odor. Also, you might want to add something in the wash like Lemon scented Mr. Clean to be sure you are getting the odor out of your clothes.

The major thing is to be sure this is not related to some underlying health issue that needs to be treated.

I wish you all a pleasant smelling future.

Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User

There is a condition that can create this. My friend has it, Porphyria . The treatment for his type involves eating a lot more carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.), no drinking and caution using any type of medication. It has something to do with your metabolism. It also caused funny sores on his skin, achy joints and a urine smell to his sweat.

The Following User Says Thank You to smartgal For This Useful Post:
daddywelder36 (08-01-2012)
Closed Thread