It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 06:42 AM   #1

inkdown HB User
Red face Pain in left shoulder blade and deep breaths

Recently I went to bed feeling a little cramped in my stomach. I sometimes have some sharp gas pains in my left side with this. However, I woke up early that morning with a dull pain right at the center of my chest whenever I took a really deep breath. i also woke up w/ a really painful left shoulder. At first I thought I just slept on my shoulder wrong and that the dull pain was from gas b/c my shoulder pain went away later in the day and the dull pain wouls seem to subside whenever I belched. However, I would still have the dull pain in my chest whenever i took a reaaallly deep breath.

So I went to bed the next night and woke up in the middle of the night with my shoulder throbbing in pain and the dull pain in my chest w/ deep breaths. It's kinda scary b/c the two things are happening at once and they both showed up initially together. Does this sound familiar to anyone. I am a 28 year old male who smokes an occasional cigar. I don't think it's lung cancer, and if it was gas the dull pain wouldn't last this long. Please help! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
Go see a doctor, sounds scary to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

Susannah HB User
Yes, I agree with the last poster, I would see a doctor and get an EKG and echocardiogram done, as well as a chest x-ray, just to make sure it's not something with your heart or lungs. It very well might be something with the digestive system, though, my mom gets acid reflux and she thought it was her heart at first, sometimes she said it would feel like a heart attack. She sleeps a little bit propped up now and that solved it. My husband had side pain that radiated to the arm for years. The doctors didn't find anything wrong with his heart or lungs, and prescribed muscle relaxants to help. He never got the prescription for the relaxants filled, since he didn't want to just mask the problem. Well, he went to the chiropractor finally (at his friend's suggestion, he recommended a good one who is also an MD and orthopedic surgeon), and she took an x-ray, there were 2 vertebrae pretty far out of alignment, and that was screwing up his circulation. She adjusted him, and he was all better. It's been 2 years now, and he's only had to go back twice, she wasn't one of the ones that wants you to come in every month or anything, she said if it starts hurting or feeling funny again, come back. So, anyway, it could be something like that. But, don't let them just tell you it's something like that until they check your heart and lungs first, in my opinion.

Okay, this got longer than I meant for it to be, but I hope it helps a little!

Old 09-11-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I also agree with the above posts. you need to go get this checked. It sounds like it could be your lungs.

Good luck
Cattys

Old 09-12-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
(female)

Geneva1 HB User
More than likely, you are having heartburn & indgestion. But get it checked out. When you take a breath and have a grabbing pain in your chest area, along with pain in the shoulder, it is sometimes called "pleuritic pain", or inflammation of the pleura, (lining of the lungs). You described your pain as "dull", not a sharp pain, and you had pain in your side, so it sounds like more like gas/ingestion. Your stomach is closer to your heart than you might think.
And yes, gas CAN cause dull pain for a long time, but you need to check with your Doctor to make sure. You are young, so I wouldn't worry too much about more serious problems, or you will drive yourself crazy.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:35 PM   #6

inkdown HB User
thanks all. I had ekg and xrays done and they said it was acid reflux. it's hard to believe indigestion could cause so much "scary" pain. I honestly though i'd woke up wit a stoke or something, it hurt so bad. thanks again!

Old 09-14-2003, 10:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
That is good to hear that you had tests done and it is nothing serious.

Closed Thread