It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 11:22 AM   #1

health? HB User
Question Mouth sores under tongue

I am 37 years old and have always had good teeth and good oral hygiene. However for the past 2 months I have had this white mouth sore under my tongue. it has a circular center to it. Has anyone ever seen or had anyhting like this? If so, WHAT IS IT? and what do I do about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 02:00 AM   #2

noelwr HB User
It's a canker sore - nothing to worry about! I don't think people know exactly why canker sores appear, but they are not contagious. You will get them inside your cheeks or under your tongue if you by mistake bite down hard on them. I've heard that you may also get them due to a lack of vitamin C.

Take some pain reliever as I know they can be quite irritating (especially when eating). I always use Anbesol to temporarily numb the area. Then I drink lots of orange juice and suck on zinc lozenges. My boyfriend rinses with with salt water. My mother dumps salt directly onto the sore (super painful!).

Canker sores have nothing to do with how well your mouth hygiene is. Doctors don't know how to prevent them, but maybe your doctor can prescribe some medication to help ease the pain. Other than that, you just have to wait for it to go away (usually takes about a week) and in the meantime, don't eat anything that will irritate it (spicy, salty, acidic).

Oh... I see you say you've had it for two months. They're not supposed to last that long. You better make an appointment with a doctor.

[This message has been edited by noelwr (edited 10-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
I was getting worried when Noelwr was telling you not to be concerned...that it was only a canker sore. Then he/she realized it's been two months.
Any mouth lesion or sore than doesn't heal in two weeks needs to be evaluated promptly by a doctor.
Don't wait much longer...it may be nothing serious but definitely needs to be checked.

zuzu xx

Old 10-02-2003, 06:31 AM   #4

health? HB User
Unhappy

Thanks for your advice, I just wanted to get an idea of what I might be dealing with from somebody before I went to the doctors. Of course I am a little afraid of what it might be.
Quote:
Originally posted by zuzu8:
I was getting worried when Noelwr was telling you not to be concerned...that it was only a canker sore. Then he/she realized it's been two months.
Any mouth lesion or sore than doesn't heal in two weeks needs to be evaluated promptly by a doctor.
Don't wait much longer...it may be nothing serious but definitely needs to be checked.

zuzu xx

Old 10-02-2003, 06:33 AM   #5

health? HB User
Unhappy

I was hoping it would only be a canker sore. However after learning it should not last this long, I fear what it may really be. Thanks though.
Quote:
Originally posted by noelwr:
It's a canker sore - nothing to worry about! I don't think people know exactly why canker sores appear, but they are not contagious. You will get them inside your cheeks or under your tongue if you by mistake bite down hard on them. I've heard that you may also get them due to a lack of vitamin C.

Take some pain reliever as I know they can be quite irritating (especially when eating). I always use Anbesol to temporarily numb the area. Then I drink lots of orange juice and suck on zinc lozenges. My boyfriend rinses with with salt water. My mother dumps salt directly onto the sore (super painful!).

Canker sores have nothing to do with how well your mouth hygiene is. Doctors don't know how to prevent them, but maybe your doctor can prescribe some medication to help ease the pain. Other than that, you just have to wait for it to go away (usually takes about a week) and in the meantime, don't eat anything that will irritate it (spicy, salty, acidic).

Oh... I see you say you've had it for two months. They're not supposed to last that long. You better make an appointment with a doctor.

[This message has been edited by noelwr (edited 10-02-2003).]

Closed Thread