It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #1

kismittbear HB User
Question Boils (Why Do I Get Them)

For the past year I have had a quite a few boils on my buttocks & my genital area, This is very annoying and not to mention painful. Could you please tell me why and what might I do to stop them.
Thanx,Kismittbear
i'am 40 years old,Female, Good Shape

Old 10-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

savanannastar HB User
kissmitbear ,ihear ya ive posted a few ??s about this too i have been getting them for years now im 29 i got a couple in armpit area when i was a teenager then after i had my son when i was 23 i started getting then in genital area and then butt however the ones on genital never really went away left scars too.I went to 3 different gynos who told me to live with them and keep area clean(dah)well ive tryed everything nothing works im going to ask my family doc to put me on some kind of anti-biotics that help with staph bacteria which is what is causing boils i guess we just have too much in our systems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #3

bassie HB User
Good idea savanannastar.

Old 10-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, I too get boils. I have a disease called Hidradenitis Suppurtiva (HS). This disease causes boils all over your body. I don't know a lot about it yet, but I was diagnosed 2 years ago and had it since I started puperty. I do know it has to do with the sweat glands. If you look it up you will find info about it. You will also see pictures of it. I actually diagnosed it my self, went to the doctor and sure enough, he said it was HS. I saw a picture of an arm pit that looked just like mine. I'm not saying that is what you have, but you might want to look it up and see. I get boils on my stomach, thighs, armpit, groin and sometimes face and arms. I'm at stage 2. I really hope this is not what you have, I hope it is just regular boils. There is no cure for this disease. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer. Good Luck.
Becky

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 10-10-2003).]

Old 10-09-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
PS A good way to tell the difference between a hs boil and a regular boil is hs boils leave purpleish scars after they bust and go away. That is usually how doctors diagnose hs. I have alot of scars. The only thing I can really tell you to do is , sit in a warm bath for a while. When I get out, I put tea tree oil on the boils. It helps them come to a head sooner and helps numb the pain.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:02 AM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If you are having frequent boils then yes a course of antibiotic therapy might be needed to help with them. Boils are indeed caused by the staph bacteria which we all have in our bodies but is easily spread. Any time you have your hands near where the boils are you need to wash them thoroughly. Also use hot compresses and if that doesn't releive them then a trip to the doc is necessary. Remember that the cloth you use as a hot compress should never be used any place else on your body nor by anyone else until it is laundered to help prevent the spread of the bacteria. Tea tree oil will definately help them. Once they open up if they are draining be sure to cover them with a bandage of some sort to again help prevent the spread of the bacteria. Do not pop them though as this can cause the bacteria to spray to other places and spread the bacteria. You might also want to consider making sure you add a good antioxidant to your daily mulitvitamin routine to help keep your immune system healthy.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User
Re: Boils (Why Do I Get Them)

[QUOTE=hollygirl05]Hi, I too get boils. I have a disease called Hidradenitis Suppurtiva (HS). This disease causes boils all over your body. I don't know a lot about it yet, but I was diagnosed 2 years ago and had it since I started puperty. I do know it has to do with the sweat glands. If you look it up you will find info about it. You will also see pictures of it. I actually diagnosed it my self, went to the doctor and sure enough, he said it was HS. I saw a picture of an arm pit that looked just like mine. I'm not saying that is what you have, but you might want to look it up and see. I get boils on my stomach, thighs, armpit, groin and sometimes face and arms. I'm at stage 2. I really hope this is not what you have, I hope it is just regular boils. There is no cure for this disease. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer. Good Luck.
Becky

Have you found anything that helps with the underarm cysts?

Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Hi. I have HS too, localized on my butt cheeks. I too diagnosed it myself the same way Hollygirl did, and then went to the doctor. I never knew this condition existed before hearing about it on these healthboards, I always just thought they were cysts/boils.

A regular boil is a deep infection of a hair follicle. An HS boil is an infection of the apocrine gland. HS boils are purple and have a deep ache when you press on them.

My doctor gave me a 2 week course of antibiotics (minocycline) which helped TREMENDOUSLY. It is preferred that someone with HS take the meds for 3 months, but summer is here and I like to tan. Tanning as well, helps this condition for me.

You can apply Metrogel (topical for Rosacea) on the boils, or an antibacterial cream. Both will help to some degree.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User

i thought what i had was a pilonidal cyst on my butt, now i'm not too sure if it was a cyst or HS. I had that 2 weeks ago, it was the most painful thing in my life, had it lanced and the packing changed every other day AHH the pain. Anyways I then I get this stupid lump under my armpit, its HUGE, like an inch big and the whole area is inflamed its red all the way over on my boob. The doc I went to today said its HS, maybe thats what I had on my butt who knows? the ER doc said it was a pilonidal cyst but who knows now! I get these armpit lumps like 4 times a year its so frustrating! my doc said that these armpit lumps were from shaving and gave me antibiotic and thats all i knew abt my condition. Then the doc i went to today said it was something to do with the sweat gland and the hair follicle I think it was called HS????

Last edited by regime; 07-09-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Don't know if this will be of any help or not, but, when I was a child many years ago and had boils on my legs the home remedy was to eat cream-of-tartar every day to purify your blood. It seemed to work. We did not go to doctors back then.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #11
(female)

patty28 HB User

I recently diganosed my self with hs, after getting a boil and it got hot and really red over night, i thought i had the flu i was so sick a surgeon put me in the hospital and drained it it was staph infection. this has nothing to do with the hs but if you pop and treat your boils i would suggest you ware gloves because I must of had staph under my nails staph is very contagous and is everywhere.and now the research ive done suggest Ill be fighting this staph bacteria the rest of my life since im prone to getting boils

Old 08-05-2005, 12:59 AM   #12
(female)

patty28 HB User

always wear gloves when treating your boils

Old 08-05-2005, 03:09 AM   #13
(female)

wannahelp HB User

My understanding is that we all carry some amount of staph on our skin. I know that some women tend to have flare ups during their periods on the upper inside of legs. One thing no one has mentioned yet, is using an anti bacterial soap.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
(female)

patty28 HB User

since my staph infection i do use a anti bacteria shower gel, neosporen in the nose to kill staph spores and this cream bactorine will vanish the boils over night.

Closed Thread