It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Post What causes veins to be more visible?

I don't think this is a skin problem, per se, but I also don't know "how" I would classify it.

What causes your skin to become more transparent or translucent, so that you can see your veins more clearly? These are not the reddish purplish spider veins, nor are they the palpatable, raised varicose veins.

This is a situation that has just been noticed for the past few months. I know certain conditions/situations that can cause it such as dieting down, low carbohydrate diets, low body fat,... but the vascularity that presents with these conditions are different in appearance.

This is more like...the skin pigment or something is getting "clear" -- and the veins, while they cannot be felt and are NOT very close to the surface, as they would be in spider veins, they ARE, however, quite visible, as if looking at them through a few layers of celophane or glass or something?

This is apparent mostly on the legs, including tops of thighs and calves, not just back of the legs, breasts, arms (medially and laterally), forearms, etc. If I pinch my skin I get dark purple/red blood blister type things quite easily (don't know if that's related but it's a detail anyway).

I'm a pretty vascular person because I do have a pretty good amount of muscle, -- but this is different.

Any thoughts?

I almost feel like I wish I could just go to a tanning booth (the non UV type, maybe the spray on type!) ... and that's a possibility because I've also been almost totally out of the sun this year, and generally I spend SOME time outdoors, and this is the first year I stopped practically living in shorts.

Is it possible that after a year I'm just finally seeing what my legs look like without a tan? I can't imagine that though,... just trying to think of parallels.

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
Blue4U2

The various conditions in which cause veins to be more visible can include thinning of the skin (a side effect of oral and inhaled steroids, Anemia,
low body fat, increased blood circulation, temperature change, and sudden weight loss.

My veins became impossible to miss after a burst of prednisone, and never went back to normal.

My veins got thicker after a couple of weeks of lifting heavy steel scaffoldin frames for 8-10 hours per day.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.... unless you start to feel funny.

Blue

Old 02-12-2003, 03:04 AM   #3
Inactive

Merrida HB User
My veins aren't thicker. But my skin is more translucent. When I drop body fat (like a pre-comp type of loss) and get my BF lower than normal, I'll get a vascular look, where I'll be sort of ripply (meaning the veins sort of bulge out a little bit,...like they do on grandma's hands except all over) but this is different. This is the SKIN itself getting sort of clear-er and it's the skin that has changed. The thin skin (often refered to as "tissue paper" like in appearance) that comes from either low carbohydrate diets or massive body fat loss, is different. My thin itself looks the same in texture, it's just seeing through it on my legs, breasts and arms. I don't think they're bigger though. (I feel like those plastic models, remember the ones we painted in grade school of the clear woman whose shell was plastic and then you had to paint her organs and stuff and put her together? Well everyone else got the man, I got the woman).

Anyway, not worried (varicose veins worry me) but I have never had them before. Just inquiring. I like to know what's going on with my body and just understand what causes this.

The other thing is I do have several medical conditions, and am on several medications, so a thought occured to me that change in skin might be an effect of meds (but I've never heard of a change in skin translucency, only stuff like rashes or other textural changes). Anyway, thanks!

Thanks Blue, for your replies. I appreciate them!

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

[This message has been edited by Merrida (edited 02-12-2003).]

Old 10-15-2003, 10:52 AM   #4

bxrswfe HB User
OMG! I thought I was weird. I've been experiencing the same thing in the past few months. In these last few months, I have been exercising regularly and just out of nowhere, veins start becoming very dark and noticeable on my arms, my chest, the sides of my torso, my legs and calfs. I was so scared that something was wrong with me. What's even more questionable now is why would this happen to me now, when it never did when I worked out intensely before (like 2 years ago)? Will they ever go away? Do they turn into vericose veins? Anyone know? Thanks.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:16 PM   #5

mysterythere HB User
Not getting enough water will cause veins to show more. I have white translucent skin, and sometimes it's quite pretty, because it glows. But sometimes I'll see my veins somewhere and not like it. It's just the way I was made, I accept it, it's not bad. But I do know for sure that dehydration will make the veins show worse. There are actually some body builders that try to attain that look by increasing the work they do on their muscles while cutting down on their fluid intake, I think that's crazy. Water keeps the skin plump and glowing. Along with good nutrition, most importantly.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
Inactive

pfunk HB User
Re: What causes veins to be more visible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterythere
Not getting enough water will cause veins to show more. I have white translucent skin, and sometimes it's quite pretty, because it glows. But sometimes I'll see my veins somewhere and not like it. It's just the way I was made, I accept it, it's not bad. But I do know for sure that dehydration will make the veins show worse. There are actually some body builders that try to attain that look by increasing the work they do on their muscles while cutting down on their fluid intake, I think that's crazy. Water keeps the skin plump and glowing. Along with good nutrition, most importantly.
It is not necessarily the case that these are not varicose veins. There are many different types of varicose veins and I suffer from one type that is exactly as you describe. You need to have these evaluated by a medical professional because they could be a sign of a more serious condition.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue4U2
The various conditions in which cause veins to be more visible can include thinning of the skin (a side effect of oral and inhaled steroids, Anemia,
low body fat, increased blood circulation, temperature change, and sudden weight loss.

My veins became impossible to miss after a burst of prednisone, and never went back to normal.

My veins got thicker after a couple of weeks of lifting heavy steel scaffoldin frames for 8-10 hours per day.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.... unless you start to feel funny.

Blue
Sun exposure also plays a huge roll in the thinning of skin. Also, certain ethnic groups simply have incredibly thin skin though which veins are very visible such as Scandinavians

Old 01-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi,
This is one of those things I've always had and never thought anything about it. I am very pale complected and there are areas where my skin looks translucent. My veins are very visible on the inside part of my upper arms. Also, on my chest.
Now, I wonder if I should get this checked out.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:23 PM   #9
Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Hi,
This is one of those things I've always had and never thought anything about it. I am very pale complected and there are areas where my skin looks translucent. My veins are very visible on the inside part of my upper arms. Also, on my chest.
Now, I wonder if I should get this checked out.
I do not think that this is necessarily something that is a problem. It may just be that you have a very light colored complexion, thinner skin and your veins are more visible. I have the same thing, but I also have veins in my legs that while they do not bulge have definitely been diagnosed as varicose veins by my doctor. However, if the veins in your upper body do not hurt you there probably isn't much to worry about. However, the veins in my legs certainly are both a painful and cosmetic nuisance.

Closed Thread