HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   Why does my hands shake? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/120270-why-does-my-hands-shake.html)

lamal3 10-29-2003 03:20 AM

Why does my hands shake?

What causes this to happen? My hands cannot be still and for some reason I have no ability to control this behaviour. The shakes are really little but I have worries that this could be some disease. Does anybody out there have this types of symptoms like I do? Can anybody tell me what is the cause of this?

Andrew29 10-29-2003 06:56 AM

Do they shake constantly? My hands shake when I'm doing something in which people are looking at my hands. Like, on the weekend, my friends and I were gambling (poker), and when I would put chips into the pot, my hands were going crazy.

lamal3 10-29-2003 12:50 PM

Actually they shake all the time. Even when I put my hands out and try to stay still, they still shake. IT's not that serious but it's just that there is no way to controlling or stopping it.

chloebug 10-29-2003 02:46 PM

Hi
My hands always shake a little at one time they shook more and I found out it was due to my bloodsugar. I also had other symptoms along with that.

cattys 10-29-2003 03:13 PM

Did they always do this or did it come on all of a sudden?

lamal3 10-29-2003 03:26 PM

I realized my shaking like 6 years ago. I dont' have a good reason for this. It's so strange and it's like your body has no control over it. None of the people in my family has it. When I hold a piece of paper my hands shake a little.

Amykins70 10-29-2003 08:10 PM

My mom had that problem and her doctor told her it was called essential tremor. There was no medical reason for it, or at least she said the doctor told her that. Have you been to a doctor about it?

zuzu8 10-29-2003 09:53 PM

Amykins might have hit it on the head...benign essential tremor.

Is it a small fine tremor? When you say "all the time" do you notice it also when your hands are, lets say, at rest on your lap or if you support them on a table?

Do you have any other symptoms at all, apart from this?

Some drugs and medications also cause tremor. Are you taking anything on a regular basis?

zuzu xxx

DJblod 10-30-2003 02:29 AM

have you compared your hand to anyone else? everyone's hands shake a little. is there particular situations that make the shaking worse?

DJblod 10-30-2003 02:30 AM

can you drink from a cup without spilling it?

lamal3 10-30-2003 02:44 AM

If indeed this is a tremor, then how can this type of thing begin in the first place? How can I get rid of this disease? I've never been to the doctor about it, and fearing that it might me something bad. I have never taken any medication or have been on any for that matter. I have no other symptoms or sickness in my body except for this essential tremor if that's what I have. I guess maybe when I workout pretty hard the shaking does get a little more faster but afterwards they slow back down. I can drink a glass of water without spilling it so thats ok.

DJblod 10-30-2003 03:25 AM

what you have is an exaggerated form of the tremor everyone has (physiological tremor). that's why its worse after working out - higher circulating adrenaline

DJblod 10-30-2003 03:26 AM

do you drink a lot of caffeine-containing drinks eg tea, coffee, cola?

lamal3 10-30-2003 03:33 AM

I actually drink alot of water and that's about it. I hardly drink any soda pop if ever. Do you suppose that tap water could be causing this? I used to drink alot of tap water but as of now I've been only consuming filtered water only.

bassie 10-30-2003 05:17 PM

I agree you should at least *advise* your dr of the condition. I have had it as long as I remember and know now after many years that is it is related to an autoimmune disease. That would not have been picked up at the time on the tremors alone.
Quite likely you have one of the conditions described in the answers but even then there may well be something you can take for it. A relative takes Inderal because of her tremors (non-essential)and it helps her a great deal. Best wishes.