It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #1

HateHurting HB User
Are Boils Contagious?

There is a wierd thing going on around here. Back at the end of August my son in law was complaining of legs really hurting. We showed us on his hip of this boiil looking thing. I also thougth it could have been a brown recluse (spelling) spider bite. He got to looking and there was smaller ones other places around his body. Then a week later, my daughter got one. SHe wa sin lots of pain. I took her to a doctor and he put her on anti biotics and also gave antibiotic shot and pain medication. Few days later her boyfriend got one on his leg. As we got oen clearing up my son in law got another one. My daughters hor horribly bad and she went back to doctor. He said it turned to staff infection. He put her on stronger antibiotic for 14 days. Then my other daughter got one. Then my daughters boyfriend got one. We still have 5 other people living in this house who has not gotten them but I would like to know if they are contagious and why they keep coming back. ANyone know? Thanks for info.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Hi,

Yes, boils are caused by staphylococcus and are highly contagious. One must take extreme care to not cause spreading to other parts of the body or to others. Staph can be spread through bathing, bed sheets, bath towels and facecloths, direct contact...

There are proper ways of handling the boils, also washing and sterilising bedding, bath cloths, clothing....anything that has come in contact with the oozing discharge of the boil.

My mom was a public health nurse....and I had a friend who once had boils. My mom freaked when my friend squeezed her boil and the stuff went all over the place....we got a good lesson about how careful we have to be with them!

If you search boils (add contagious). Lots of info and personal/family precautions since they have already been successful in spreading.

Hospital wards and surgeries can be shut down due to staph infection because of careless hospital staff. The hospital my mom had her hysterectomy in had rampant staph infection go through the surgery rooms. Her one week stay ended up for a month because of a staph infection. My mom's situation turned almost grave. She insisted that her doctor reoperate and clean out the infection. He wasn't concerned but she was sure she wouldn't last the night. He complied, and told her he was shocked that they drained almost a litre of infection from her abdomen. He admitted she wouldn't have lasted the week. Scary....I never found out about that till many years later.

Please excuse the tirade....but staph is serious and not to be taken lightly or handled carelessly.

I hope your family members are able to heal quickly.

Best to you,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2003, 07:24 AM   #3

HateHurting HB User
WOW! I am so glad your mom was determined with them. I never really knew how serious that was. Thank you so much for your input. I have sent everyone here to doctor and he has told them they didnt have staph infection but did put them on antibiotics. As I said, it was two of my daughters, son in law and others boyfriend. The rest of us didnt get a boil. I will monitor it more closely now tho. Thanks again

Mary

Old 11-07-2003, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
Wow, I had no idea boils could be so serious! Quincy--I'm glad you mom was OK after that incident, that is so scary.

I always thought that boils were just big zits. How do you tell the difference between a boil and a really big zit? Are they the same thing?

My husband has two of them on his back right now and one in another unmentionable place. I have been helping him pop them (the ones on his back). I had no idea I could "catch" them from him. Is there a way to properly take care of them?

Thanks for the information!

Old 11-20-2003, 06:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: Are Boils Contagious?

Glad I read this post. I learned something I'd never heard of. Thanks for the lesson!

Old 11-20-2003, 05:31 PM   #6

bassie HB User
Re: Are Boils Contagious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLee
Wow, I had no idea boils could be so serious! Quincy--I'm glad you mom was OK after that incident, that is so scary.

I always thought that boils were just big zits. How do you tell the difference between a boil and a really big zit? Are they the same thing?

My husband has two of them on his back right now and one in another unmentionable place. I have been helping him pop them (the ones on his back). I had no idea I could "catch" them from him. Is there a way to properly take care of them?

Thanks for the information!
Hi
It is difficult to tell sometimes between BIG zits and boils and essentially the treatment is the same anyway.
It's OK to help someone 'pop' a boil, but a good idea to wear disposable gloves (they are cheap in the supermarket) and clean the area with Betadine or Tea Tree oil first. Throw all gauze or whatever you use to clean the boil, in a plastic bag and dispose of it. Have the "patient" shower rather than bath afterwards and use betadine or Tea Tree wash (or any good antiseptic). Good idea to launder washcloths and towels afterwards until all sign of infection is gone. Keep the area covered during the day with a dry dressing lest there is drainage onto clothes.
Wash hands and scrub nails carefully afterwards with antiseptic wash, in spite of disposable gloves, just to be on the safe side.

Closed Thread