It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Hi_its_Joe

Unhappy Nagging left-side headache...help me please!

Hi

For over a week now I have had this constant (but relatively mild) headache on the left side of my head that sometimes radiates down the back of my neck and even in my left ear. Sometimes it rears it's ugly head and gives me greif for awhile and other times, it goes away but I always know it is still there lurking below the suface. I have noticed (especially when I cough) that the headache will come back because the cough causes pressure to build up. I also have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and acute rhinitus along with a whole host of allergies. I have a goat and various ducks, geese, etc that I more or less keep as house pets (yeah, I'm kind of weird or whatever). Anyway, do these symptoms sound common for someone with these conditions?. My nose is constantly plugged and every 10 minutes it seems I am blowing out huge balls of snot (gross I know - sorry). My throat also feels "lumpy" and my eyes are all puffed up and scratchy feeling too. If I take DayQuill or NyQuill I feel great but I don't like just popping pills all the time. Yesterday, I took my temp and it was 99.8 one time and then 99.2 another. Before I crawled into bed it was 97.1. Does this sound like what I should be expecting with chronic sinusitis/allergic rhinitis?

Help!!!

Last edited by Hi_its_Joe; 11-22-2003 at 04:03 PM.

Old 11-22-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Nagging left-side headache...help me please!

Sounds like clogged sinuses or estauchian tubes(connects the ear to the throat) When I had the flu a few years back it felt like my head would explode out through my temples. Doc said there was a lot of pressure behind my eardrum. I think Advil cleared it up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 12:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Nagging left*side headache...help me please!

Hi,

Boy, can I relate to the left*sided headache. I've just developed a cold too, probably heading to a sinus infection (hope not) and it's now going into my throat and chest. I've been fighting it with much vigor. My headache is really from my neck/occipital area. I've been longing for my chiropractor for 3 days.

I take Anacin, which helps, as well as face and neck massage from my husband (using Vaseline, you can also do it yourself.....YEOW!!!.. along the jawline and under the cheeks amazingly painful). It helped temporarily, but in conjunction with Anacin, Sudafed and vitamins + H2O...I just want to be in less pain until I see my chiro on Monday.

Since you also have obvious allergies, I would take something like Reactine 24 hour ** something that you can take once a day and not feel woozy.

Sudafed helps to open the eustachian tubes and sinuses so that they will drain. I hope you're on an antibiotic at this time to get rid of it.

You may also want to try a nasal wash (half teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water). Either suck it in with your nose, one nostril at a time; or use a baby bulb suction thingee (forgot the name) to squirt it in while your head is tilted. Works well for me.

There is a product called Actifed. It has both Sudafed and an antihistamine in it. Maybe to get you through this patch until you feel better. Then start on a Reactine or something 24 hours.

Chronic sinus infections with allergies are hard to control, especially if you're allergic to your living environment.

I also take a Sudafed (60 mg) daily ** for eustacian plugged feelings I often get and for slight dizziness.

I hope you're able to get it resolved. A cold is such an inconvenience on one's life (because you can't stop breathing like you can walking or moving around!)

Feel well soon.
quincy

Old 11-23-2003, 12:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

oh, forgot to add that a microwave grain heat bag works well to ease the pain and discomfort of the ear and face.

Also, a cold pack around the head (back of the neck around to the temple) helps with the pain, also the throb*b*b*bing).

q

Old 11-23-2003, 05:41 AM   #5

jfmattes HB User

you need to see an allergist.He will probanbly prescribe 24hour antihistamine like allegra or otc claritin along with a decongestant and antibiotics. Get rid of the animals in the house. You are allergic.

Closed Thread