It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 03:45 AM   #1
(male)

luciansava HB User
Question People with no tonsils! Are you more sick now?

Hello!

A few days ago I removed my tonsils because they were infected and I had no other option but to go ahead with the surgery. It's been 4 days since then. I have one question for those of you who did the same thing months or years ago.

I would like to ask you whether you now use to get sick more times than before removing your tonsils.

I know the tonsils are there to protect the body from bacteria that may go inside you from your mouth. So the immune system is much more exposed to bacteria and so the body is also much more exposed to different ilnesses.

On the contrary, I've heard that if you have removed your tonsils, you get cold fewer times. Is this truth?

Also, is cool weather a much powerful threat for you now? (snow, mountains, etc)

If you have any advices for someone who has just removed his tonsils, I would really appreciate if you could share them here! I would like to know what precautions I have to take from now on, considering that my tonsils are gone. Thank you!

Lucian

Old 12-02-2003, 04:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User
Re: People with no tonsils! Are you more sick now?

I can't tell you about how often you get sick once you get your tonsils out, Because mine arent comming out until Dec 12 However when I was talking with my EENT He told me that tonsils are a filter for germs but they have recently discovered that they stop working between ages 2-5, So After the age of 5 they really have no purpose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Well, I know for me, after I had my tonsils out I have gotten many sore throats and colds. I wish I hadn't have gotten them out. But, that is my personal opinion. I'm sure there are also people who have had great success. It just depends on your body I guess. Good luck

Old 12-02-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
(female)

rainbowdawn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciansava
Hello!

A few days ago I removed my tonsils because they were infected and I had no other option but to go ahead with the surgery. It's been 4 days since then. I have one question for those of you who did the same thing months or years ago.

I would like to ask you whether you now use to get sick more times than before removing your tonsils.

I know the tonsils are there to protect the body from bacteria that may go inside you from your mouth. So the immune system is much more exposed to bacteria and so the body is also much more exposed to different ilnesses.

On the contrary, I've heard that if you have removed your tonsils, you get cold fewer times. Is this truth?

Also, is cool weather a much powerful threat for you now? (snow, mountains, etc)

If you have any advices for someone who has just removed his tonsils, I would really appreciate if you could share them here! I would like to know what precautions I have to take from now on, considering that my tonsils are gone. Thank you!

Lucian
I had mine removed when I was in the 4th grade....many years ago and have had a few colds but not a whole lot. My younger son had his removed and has been fairing well also. My husband and older son, who still have their tonsils have had far more colds, sore throats, etc...I live in Minnesota so it defintitely gets cold and I don't seem to think that is much of a factor. Wishing you well!

Old 12-02-2003, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I had mine out three years ago at the age of 34. Best thing I ever could've done. Before that I suffered from horrible horrible "sinus" headaches that sometimes would knock me for a loop -- I'd get so dizzy at times too. Since then -- rarely get a headache. As far as getting sick more often. I rarely have gotten any colds or sick.

BTW, my spouse, his cousins, nieces and nephews all had horrible ear infection problems and had to have tubes as small children. Also got strep throat all the time. When their tonsils were all removed -- problems disappeared.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:53 AM   #6

Sc@tterBr@in HB User

I had mine removed as a kid because I had very severe chronic ear infections, which stopped as soon as the tonsils were removed.

Closed Thread