It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 05:42 AM   #1

Sunny D HB User
Unhappy Can't stop biting my lips

Hi Everyone, Just thought I would ask if any on else has an awful habit of biting their lips. I have been doing this for years and sometimes they end up really really sore, needless to say thats when I can stop but soon after I will realise I have started doing it again. Once there is a little bit of skin sticking up I have to bite it off untill it feels smoother again but usually the next piece sticks up then and so it goes on. Has anyone else had this and know any tips on how to stop, as unfortunately I don't seem to realise I have started untill it gets sore again!. thanx for any help in advance. luv Tina xxx

Old 12-08-2003, 09:11 AM   #2

tracyann HB User
Exclamation Re: Can't stop biting my lips

yep--I do it too!! compulsively and habitually for years...same thing..soon as I feel a little bit of skin sticking up, I'm on it...looks ugly doing it and I think I somehow like the pain-(twisted).
I also pick the sides of my fingers for the same reasons...till they bleed sometimes. They are calloused because of it which only makes it more fun to pick!
I'm 34 yrs old and have'nt found a solution yet. Carmex is the best product anywhere for healing the lips from picking but it won't keep you from picking again. I have asked my family doctor about it but he didn't act like it was any big deal...said it was probably just nerves that would subside when I settled...BAH!! I pick no matter what.
Mind over matter doesn't really help either...I woke up because I was doing it in my sleep before.
If you get any suggestions I would love to hear them...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
Re: Can't stop biting my lips

I do this too. I bite the inside of my lips and gums and peel any loose skin off my lips. I also pick at my nails, cuticles, face and scalp. I have read about this a lot on the OCD board. I am not saying you have OCD, but picking can be a symptom. So far I have not found a cure for this. I hate that I do it but I just can't stop. I just thought I would let you know you are not alone. Take care!

Old 12-10-2003, 01:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I find myself biting the inside of my lips A LOT!!. I'm trying to avoid it since the constant movement can cause those nice vertical wrinkles on the upper lip. So, that's enough to "change how I do it".

I think the skin sloughing inside my mouth is originally caused by my toothpaste and on my lips from my lipstick. I put vaseline on my lips daily when I'm at home, and I'm becoming more and more conscious of how often I actually do it.

I'm really trying to do it less and less....and it's working. The more I'm focusing on something (especially when on these boards), the more I do it. Well, at least I don't pick my nose! I don't do it when I'm chewing gum, tho.

Now, if I can just get my tongue to stop searching around in there, I wouldn't be doing it at all....It's my tongue's fault!!

There, solved.

quincy

Old 12-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #5

No_time_4_talk HB User

Try putting a bad tasting lip gloss or something else that tastes bad on your lips. This will keep you from wanting to bite your lips. (this works for fingernails to, put garlic in clear nail polish and paint it on)

Old 12-13-2003, 04:44 PM   #6

somedaylady HB User

I do this too. Have for years. And have tried to quit but it's almost impossible cause it's RIGHT THERE!! Now that I'm reading about it it makes me want to bite. LOL!!

Closed Thread