It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 03:06 PM   #1

JordanDoucette HB User
Can't Stop Coughing, please help

I recently had bronchitis and the flu.

I am still having this terrible cough that tends to be dry in the morning and through the rest of the day and night it brings up phlegm.

At night, the inside of my throat and ears get really itchy and my cough becomes much worse to the point that I am literally choking and gasping for air.

If I try to sleep or lay down, I am waken by extreme pressure or tightness across the upper half of my chest. I can't breathe too well. I start wheezing and coughing thus starting the cycle all over. I tried sleeping during the day, but I get the same affect as night. However, the itchiness in the throat and ears dissappear.

I'm not sure if this would be considered an allergy or the beginning form of asthma.

I tried benedryl last night and I seemed to cough a lot more than the previous few nights. I have bags under my eyes from lack of sleep. I am completely exhausted and don't know what to do.

My doctors office has been swamped lately so I haven't had the chance to have him call in anything. He wishes to try a prescription drug for allergies, but it has yet to be called in.

Earlier in the year I tried Claritin for mucus build up in my throat which was thought to be caused by allergies and nasal discharge. It did nothing.

I have post nasal drip but it doesn't seem to happen until AFTER I have been coughing a while.

Asthma runs in my family. My mother has it really bad. I also have abuterol inhaler for my bronchitis. It hasn't been working for the past 5 days. The tightness in my chest still remains even after taking it. I've also tried cough formulas and expectorants to which I find no avail.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 07:11 AM   #2

bassie HB User
Re: Can't Stop Coughing, please help

Hello

I can imagine you must be extremely tired out and there may be a few things you can try.
#Get more pillows and be in an almost sitting position to sleep. It is very comfortable to have one under each arm as well to give you and 'armchair' effect.
#You can purchase or hire a portable humidifier/vaporizer from a pharmacy and use this in the bedroom or wherever you are resting. Just follow instructions. Ask the pharmacist for some medication you can put into a little compartment or add it to the water. Usually this is a Camphor or Eucalyptus oil which also helps to reduce coughing (though the steam does most of that). Turn the humidifier on some time before you go to bed so the room is warm and reasonably moist. (Note: if you have a timber frame bed, just cover the area the steam points to with a thick towel because it whitens timber I have noticed).
#Stay indoors if it is very cold or evening is approaching and it cools down. If you must be out wear a warm scarf around the neck, covering the mouth. This has a humidifying effect when you breath in and out.
# A little extra caffeine (oddly enough) can help to open your air passages. So a couple of coffee's may help if you have no medication to hand.
# If you still have a very productive cough as you describe (phlegm) check the colour of what you cough up. You may need another course of antibiotics.
# With a cotton wool stick moisten the inside of you ears carefully with a thin layer of vaseline to reduce the itching.
# It sounds like you need a bronchial dilator (medication) to ease the tighness in your chest. Some can be bought over the counter so you might ask the pharmacist about it -keeping in mind any other medication you are on.
# Drink lots of clear fluids to keep your mouth moist. Light foods like soups might be helpful to get some strength back. Avoid milky substances because that may produce extra mucous. Have some lozenges to hand for when your throat gets itchy.
# Do rest as much as you can as you are clearly still sick and this continued coughing is very exhausting.

I do hope this has been of some help. The flu and all that comes with it is really quite debilating isn't it? Best wishes.

Closed Thread