It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #1

PrimalSympathy HB User
Question Constant Canker Sores, Why??

My Boyfriend suffers from constant canker sores, to the point where he says it hurts to move his lips or brush his teeth. He's had this for a long time. He does have low testosterone, could that possibly cause this? Anything that could help?

Old 01-17-2004, 07:01 AM   #2

Molly McPherson HB User
Re: Constant Canker Sores, Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalSympathy
My Boyfriend suffers from constant canker sores, to the point where he says it hurts to move his lips or brush his teeth. He's had this for a long time. He does have low testosterone, could that possibly cause this? Anything that could help?
I have had canker sores for as long as I can remember. I have talked to my doctor and dentist about it and have tried to pin the cause down. I haven't been able to and neither have they. I do not think they are caused by low testosterone. They are a virus. I know how painful they are and I have found out that there is very little you can do for them. You can put some products they sell to help the pain but they usually last 10 days. I am in my 50's and like I said I have had them all my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 12:27 PM   #3

cloverberry HB User

I'm 51 and I suffered with canker sores all my life until about 8 years ago. The only thing I can think that changed was me. Everything used to bother me and I kept it inside, not telling anyone. Things changed 8 years ago and things don't bother me as much as they used to. I started going to therapy and that probably helped. Maybe keeping things inside churned up acid in my stomach that I wasn't aware of. Don't get me wrong it didn't happen overnight.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Cool Re: Constant Canker Sores, Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalSympathy
Dear PrimalSympathy,
Are they canker sores or cold sores. Here is some information between the two and treatment. I hope this helps you.

Canker sores differ from cold sores in that they occur in the soft tissues of your mouth and aren't contagious. Conversely, cold sores rarely develop in the soft tissues of your mouth and are extremely contagious because they're caused by a virus.

Your doctor may suggest prescription medication if your sores are large, painful or persistent. To relieve the pain and irritation of canker sores, your doctor may recommend a prescription mouthwash, a corticosteroid salve or an anesthetic solution called lidocaine (Xylocaine, Mylocaine).

Cold sores are quite different from canker sores, a condition people sometimes associate them with. Cold sores are caused by a form of the herpes simplex virus, and they're contagious. Canker sores, which aren't contagious, are ulcers that occur in the soft tissues inside the mouth, places where cold sores don't occur

If you experience frequent bouts, your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication to treat cold sores. Commonly used antivirals include acyclovir (Zovirax), available in both pill and ointment forms, the oral drugs famciclovir (Famvir) and valacyclovir (Valtrex), and the ointment penciclovir (Denavir).

Using a medication may shorten the duration of cold sores, but it won't prevent recurrences.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-19-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

Susannah HB User

My husband used to get canker sores all the time. We started using tea tree oil toothpaste and mouthwash (Desert Essence brand) about the middle of last year, and he's only had 1 since then. I personally think they're the result of some infection you've got going on, not viral (it's the cold sores that are viral, not the canker sores), and tea tree oil is antibiotic and antifungal.

There is one possibility that would relate the high amount of canker sores with the low testosterone, but it's pretty rare. You might want to look up some information on Addison's disease.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #6

HarpuaFSB HB User

I have had canker sores for as long as I can remember. They multiplied two-fold when I quit smoking over a year ago.

Anyway, I did some reasearch and found that most (90%) toothpastes contain SLS (or something like that) which is a detergent that actually causes cankersores and bad breath.

Try switching to Squiggle, an SLS free toothpaste that actually helps heal cankersores. When I switched to Squiggle, the number of sores I would get dropped, dramatically.

When you get them, also rinse twice a day with this stuff called Gly Oxide. It cleans the sores you currently have.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:40 PM   #7

Moonunit HB User

Could he have herpes? If so, be very careful as he can spread them to your mouth/genital area. Are they on his lips or just on the delicate tissue inside his mouth? Has herpes been ruled out? Good luck.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
Veteran

Saka HB User

I actually found a site yesterday that I found quite interesting. It explains some possible causes and solutions for ulcers or canker sores.

[url]http://www.dentures.acenet.net.au/journal/page6.htm[/url]

Old 01-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I definately agree with the Sodium Lauryl Solfate and it's connection. I used to get canker sores all the time, all my life. Then I switched to a no SLS toothpaste and mouthwash called Biotene sold at stores. I have not had one since!

Old 01-22-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
(male)

mvp81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah
My husband used to get canker sores all the time. We started using tea tree oil toothpaste and mouthwash (Desert Essence brand) about the middle of last year, and he's only had 1 since then. I personally think they're the result of some infection you've got going on, not viral (it's the cold sores that are viral, not the canker sores), and tea tree oil is antibiotic and antifungal.

There is one possibility that would relate the high amount of canker sores with the low testosterone, but it's pretty rare. You might want to look up some information on Addison's disease.

I agree with susannah about canker sores being an infection, i doubt they are viral. I used to get them all the time, now I just change my toothbrush every month, use and antibacterial mouthwash and toothpaste. Now i rarely get them

Closed Thread