It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2004, 06:24 PM   #1

JordanDoucette HB User
Hot flashes during bowel movements.. (fainting)

Just curious if anyone knows anything about this? A friend of mine has hot flashes. He has normal bowel movements and the hot flashes usually occur when he's having one. It makes him feel like he is going to pass out. He also gets the hot flashes randomly, I've only personally noticed them to come on later in the day/night.

We thought it might be low testosterone levels, but it doesn't appear to be. Any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Hot flashes during bowel movements.. (fainting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanDoucette
Just curious if anyone knows anything about this? A friend of mine has hot flashes. He has normal bowel movements and the hot flashes usually occur when he's having one. It makes him feel like he is going to pass out. He also gets the hot flashes randomly, I've only personally noticed them to come on later in the day/night.

We thought it might be low testosterone levels, but it doesn't appear to be. Any suggestions?
Jordan-

If someone feels faint or passes out during or after straining during a bowel movement, it points to the possibility of conditions called vasovagal hypotension or vasovagal syncope. The conditions get their names from changes in the blood vessels (vaso-) and the involvement of the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve controls much of your digestion as well as the heart.

This is all a fancy way of saying that your friend may be experiencing a form or sudden low blood pressure when he strains at stool because too much blood is shunted to the skin and digestive organs, leaving too little for the brain.

If your friend is constipated or strains too much, it would be a good idea to add more roughage to his diet and drink much more fluids. This should decrease the amount of strain your friend has during bowel movements. And increased fluids will better hydrate his body and also may directly protect him from vasovagal syncope.

This being said, I think it would be best for him to FIRST get checked out by a doctor to make absolutely sure that nothing untoward is going on with his heart.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #3

JordanDoucette HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Jordan-

If someone feels faint or passes out during or after straining during a bowel movement, it points to the possibility of conditions called vasovagal hypotension or vasovagal syncope. The conditions get their names from changes in the blood vessels (vaso-) and the involvement of the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve controls much of your digestion as well as the heart.

This is all a fancy way of saying that your friend may be experiencing a form or sudden low blood pressure when he strains at stool because too much blood is shunted to the skin and digestive organs, leaving too little for the brain.

If your friend is constipated or strains too much, it would be a good idea to add more roughage to his diet and drink much more fluids. This should decrease the amount of strain your friend has during bowel movements. And increased fluids will better hydrate his body and also may directly protect him from vasovagal syncope.

This being said, I think it would be best for him to FIRST get checked out by a doctor to make absolutely sure that nothing untoward is going on with his heart.

zuzu xx
The weird thing about that though is that he doesn't strain to have a bowel movement. It's perfectly normal. After he gets the hot flashes, he gets really cold too. He can't see a doctor because he can't afford it. So I'm trying to do some research on the matter until all is well for him to see one.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Jordan-
It still sounds like some kind of vasovagal hypotension. One needn't have to be straining. The simple act of normal defecation stimulates the vagus nerve. It's possible that for some reason (and only a doctor can help here), your friend is experiencing some kind of vagal hypersensitivity. He should see a doctor as soon as possible.

Good luck,
zuzu xx

Closed Thread