It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #1

batesS HB User
white spots on tonsils

I have a lot of tonsil stones daily. Dozens and I always found new one. Both of my tonsils are full of that stinky white stuff. However on each tonsil I have some small white dots which aren't tonsil stones because they can't be scraped off. Thet are very small. Both have them What could this be?

Last edited by batesS; 01-30-2004 at 03:37 PM.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: white spots on tonsils

I believe it's because the tonsil wall is stretched at the end of a crypt full of that stinky white stuff. It may burst and let out some of the stuff. I've had them happen like that twice.

Have you considered to ask your doc to remove them? I wish I would have pursued it in my 20's when I asked/begged about it....sigh, but I didn't. Oh well, tonsil squeezing is now one of my daily routines. Anything to not have one escape and be mistaken for food.....gross!

Anyway, that's what I think it is....

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 02:23 PM   #3

batesS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
I believe it's because the tonsil wall is stretched at the end of a crypt full of that stinky white stuff. It may burst and let out some of the stuff. I've had them happen like that twice.

Have you considered to ask your doc to remove them? I wish I would have pursued it in my 20's when I asked/begged about it....sigh, but I didn't. Oh well, tonsil squeezing is now one of my daily routines. Anything to not have one escape and be mistaken for food.....gross!

Anyway, that's what I think it is....

quincy
Thanks for your reply. They are just tiny little spots on the surface, not on the crypts. I thought they might be some sign of an infection.
I am considering letting them remove, some people say they do have a purpose well I say having 2 tonsils full of foul smelling crap can't be their purpose. I find myself squeezing them out every day. Most of them are in a very big, deep hole. I have tried several times to not squeeze them but they come loose anyway and if I look at them after a week or see I see two tonsils covered in white stuff.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:41 PM   #4

Juliebrat HB User

Do you have a lot of sinus troubles? People with post nasal drip get frequent discoloration of the tonsils. In fact, those white stones are caused by post nasal drip and they're called tonsilloths. I'd see about getting them out if they are in fact getting infected more than usual. You'd need a swab culture done though to make sure it's an infection and not just irritation.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

they're not caused by post nasal drip.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:17 PM   #6

USER-NAME HB User

right,
last year i got a sore throat, eventually i got these white spots on the tonsils, it got very bad, i couldnt even drink, i ended up in hospital with dehydration anyway,
the then told me i had a really bad case of GLANDULER FEVER!
its jus a infection sort of thing, anyway,not saying you have it, but why not just go to the doctor and let him tell you wha it is / whats wrong / when will it go away..etc, then you cant go wrong,
anyway, best of luck

Old 01-31-2004, 05:29 PM   #7

Juliebrat HB User

Tonsil STONES are. Look it up. I've been to the ENT for these before also, and he said they are caused by post nasal drip. The drip forms crystals that lodge in the tonsil called tonsilloliths, they are a direct cause of post nasal drip!

Here is an abstract in fact!

Post Nasal Drip
Post Nasal Drip simply means that you have excess mucous in the back of your throat. Since tonsil stones are partly composed of mucous, post nasal drip is a leading cause of tonsil stones.

Tonsilloliths and Their Relationship to Bad Breath
Do Tonsilloliths cause bad breath? When you break them open they smell really bad, and the sulfur in them is the same thing that causes bad breath!

Last edited by Juliebrat; 01-31-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:40 AM   #8

Ladybug1241973 HB User

I have also had these disguesing things in my tonsils for a few years now. I was just wondering has anybody gotten REALLY sick from them? Since it is bacteria growing in your throat and sometimes I am sure they get swallowed ever now and then. I have cardiomyopathy,could I have gotten it from this? Could this bacteria have attacked my heart?

Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #9

Kailiesmommie HB User

I am so glad I found this board! I have been doing a lot of research on tonsil stones, and actually found this older thread from this board which was very helpful:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum126/HTML/002251-7.html[/url]

I have had these nasty things for my entire adult life, probably longer but just didn't pay attention to the back of my mouth! From all of my research, it seems that these are globs of gunk formed from chemicals/bacteria in our mouth/throat and because of our large tonsil pockets, they form in there. They smell really bad because of the sulphur-producing chemicals in them. They are NOT food....as many doctors have told me before; if they were food, then WHY do they ALWAYS have the same look, composition, smell, etc.? Different foods would decompose in different manners and look or smell a little differently. From what I understand, they are not infection and do not cause illness. They do, however, cause discomfort (when the pockets are full, they can make the tonsils/throat area feel sore) and they can cause embarrassing situations (one projectiling out while you are speaking, etc.) and make your breath smell bad. They are horrible to live with! I would have my tonsils out in a heartbeat if I could find a doctor to take me seriously and if insurance would cover it.

It is so good to find other people with this problem. I used to think I was just a freak! I hate trying to pick these things out when I see them rearing their ugly head around my tonsils! But, I always try to pick as much out because I know if I don't, they will start falling out at inopportune times....and they taste terrible. I have had several doctors over the years tell me:

1. "It's just food getting stuck, nothing to worry about."
2. "I have no idea what that is!? We'll put you on a round of antibiotics and see if that works."
3. "It's just stuff (*shrug*)...it's normal...just ignore it."

I may try to get a water pic and see if this helps get them out. If not, I may search out a good ENT that will take me seriously and see what they say.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:16 AM   #10
(female)

LoriGymnast HB User

I have posted on here before about my own tonsil stones. I am almost 42 and have had them for at least 16 years, maybe longer and I just didn't realize it. Just yesterday my 16 year old son was complaining once again about his bad breath. He too lives with constant post nasal drip and continually takes benadryl to try to dry the back of his throat up. I looked in the back of his throat at his tonsils and sure enough his right tonsil had a deep pocket with tonsil stones in it. What a drag, this is something I certainly did not want my child to take after me. I am convinced also that people with their tonsils who suffer with post nasal drip will have tonsil stones. My other son who also has his tonsils and is 14 years old doesn't have post nasal drip and his tonsils look totally normal.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:53 AM   #11

lugwrench HB User
Lightbulb Re: white spots on tonsils

hello all you tonsil stoners

I am relieved, amazed and mildly grossed out to find not only an explanation of what those little smelly chunks are but also how many people have them.
What a common ailment, yet how little it's ever been addressed! I spent an hour in front of the mirror with a penlight ogling and prodding my tonsils last night. It puts pimple popping to shame.

I followed a thread from October started by Christina D (love her! xoxox) and wanted to interject a word of caution about GSE (grapefruit seed extract)
My father takes blood pressure medication and has been strongly advised to avoid grapefruit while on it. Apparently it reacts badly with some blood pressure medications, either rendering them ineffective or producing severe side effects. I don't know all the details or exactly which medications this is true of, or for that matter whether GSE would have the same effect. It just seems like an important factor to consider if you take these kinds of medications!

Thanks for the tonsil stone stories, they are some of the best reading on the net!

Old 02-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #12

batesS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugwrench

I am relieved, amazed and mildly grossed out to find not only an explanation of what those little smelly chunks are but also how many people have them.
What a common ailment, yet how little it's ever been addressed! I spent an hour in front of the mirror with a penlight ogling and prodding my tonsils last night. It puts pimple popping to shame.

I followed a thread from October started by Christina D (love her! xoxox) and wanted to interject a word of caution about GSE (grapefruit seed extract)
My father takes blood pressure medication and has been strongly advised to avoid grapefruit while on it. Apparently it reacts badly with some blood pressure medications, either rendering them ineffective or producing severe side effects. I don't know all the details or exactly which medications this is true of, or for that matter whether GSE would have the same effect. It just seems like an important factor to consider if you take these kinds of medications!

Thanks for the tonsil stone stories, they are some of the best reading on the net!
What I would like to know who many of you tonsil stones sufferes have tonsil stones combined with a white coating on the tongue and PND?

Old 02-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #13

Kailiesmommie HB User

I have always had sinus drainage (or post nasal drip) also....I believe the sinus drainage is what leads to the development of the tonsil stones. And since we have deep pockets around our tonsils, all the "goop" of bacteria/drainage/chemicals gets trapped in there and turns into the "stones"....at least this is my theory. As far as the white coating on the tongue....I haven't paid much attention to what my tongue looks like - I've always been so concerned about getting the stuff out of the pockets....

Old 02-06-2004, 10:16 PM   #14

mandi-deg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugwrench

I have found this post absolutley amazing. For the longest time I would get little white pieces on my tonsils and had no idea what it was. It is really great to know there is a reason for that and that I am not the only person who has that. I am really thankful i read all these posts.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #15

Kailiesmommie HB User

Update: I bought a cheap water pick, wasn't worth the money. It works good on teeth and gums, but does nothing for the gunk in my tonsil pockets! At first, it kind of hurt to use it on the tonsil area. Once I got it to squirt in the right spot, it just made my gag reflex kick in, and didn't even move the tonsil stones. Looks like I'll have to go back to my old method of picking the stuff out "manually"(which, for me, is by using a straightened out paper clip - sterilized using alcohol).

Closed Thread