It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

brandy76 HB User
Dizziness & Middle Ear infection???

For the past week, I've been feeling extremely dizzy and nauseous, especially when I have to walk around. Went to doc on monday and she said I have a middle ear viral infection and she prescribed me some pills to help with dizziness.

2 days later and the dizziness is still the same. What else can be given to me to make these horrible symptoms go away?? Could it be more than just a middle ear infection???
Help Please,
Brandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Dizziness & Middle Ear infection???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76
For the past week, I've been feeling extremely dizzy and nauseous, especially when I have to walk around. Went to doc on monday and she said I have a middle ear viral infection and she prescribed me some pills to help with dizziness.

2 days later and the dizziness is still the same. What else can be given to me to make these horrible symptoms go away?? Could it be more than just a middle ear infection???
Help Please,
Brandy
Middle or Inner ear infection? Occasionally with Otitis media the person will feel a little dizzy. If the dizziness is as bad as you say, you might also have an inner ear infection. Inner ear infections cause alot of dizziness because it's essentially the balance center.

There really isn't anything you can do, other than carry on as best as you can. If you are dizzy, don't drive until the infection clears up. Not only are you a hazard on the road to yourself, but to everyone around you too. The virus needs to run it's course.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

brandy76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyana
Middle or Inner ear infection? Occasionally with Otitis media the person will feel a little dizzy. If the dizziness is as bad as you say, you might also have an inner ear infection. Inner ear infections cause alot of dizziness because it's essentially the balance center.

There really isn't anything you can do, other than carry on as best as you can. If you are dizzy, don't drive until the infection clears up. Not only are you a hazard on the road to yourself, but to everyone around you too. The virus needs to run it's course.
So there are absolutely no medications my doc can give me to clear this up.

I do recall a few weeks ago having an ear infection (feeling water logged), i didn't go to the doctor, but used the ear drops to clear it up. I wonder if this had anything to do with what I'm feeling now. However when I went to my doc for these dizzy symptoms she checked my ears and nothing was there

Old 03-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Did she give you antibiotics for the infection? Some of them can cause dizziness, too.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

brandy76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Did she give you antibiotics for the infection? Some of them can cause dizziness, too.
No she didn't give me any antibiotics since she said it's a viral infection, she said anitibiotics wont help

Old 03-11-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
No she didn't give me any antibiotics since she said it's a viral infection, she said anitibiotics wont help
You're doctor examined you and determined that what you have is a virus. There is no pill that you can take to cure a virus.

I'm plagued with ear infections since having my wisdom teeth extracted 6 years ago. Luckily mine are bacteria related and anti-biotics clear them up. I've had one inner ear infection and was dizzy for weeks. All you can do to ease that is to rest, sit down as needed, take an anti-nausea pill for the nausea you experience from being dizzy. And in your case because you have a virus, you have to wait for the body to fight the infection on it's own.

To help your body heal, you can take a multivitamin, get plenty of sleep, eat balanced meals and if the ear hurts, apply a warm compress to the external ear.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
(female)

jonvieve21 HB User

Viral infections can not be cleared with antibiotics. Antibiotics only clear bacterial infections. A Virus can take several weeks to clear, like a cold. The doc probably gave you antiverts, If he did, I believe you can take those up to 3 times a day or as directed by the doctor. You should return to the doctor if you start having drainage from your ear, or have fevers. Good luck

Old 03-12-2004, 07:47 AM   #8
(female)

brandy76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvieve21
Viral infections can not be cleared with antibiotics. Antibiotics only clear bacterial infections. A Virus can take several weeks to clear, like a cold. The doc probably gave you antiverts, If he did, I believe you can take those up to 3 times a day or as directed by the doctor. You should return to the doctor if you start having drainage from your ear, or have fevers. Good luck
Thanks for all the responses. I just had a follow-up with my doc last night and she checked my ears again (since I was complaining about the stuffy feeling i've been having near the ears) and she said there's a little congestion and she put me on an antibiotic Tequin?! and she prescribed me a decongestant. She also orederd me to have an MRI to rule out everything else.

The antivert pills barely help, but i still take them just to feel slightly better

Last edited by brandy76; 03-12-2004 at 07:47 AM.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I just had a follow-up with my doc last night and she checked my ears again (since I was complaining about the stuffy feeling i've been having near the ears) and she said there's a little congestion and she put me on an antibiotic Tequin?! and she prescribed me a decongestant. She also orederd me to have an MRI to rule out everything else.

The antivert pills barely help, but i still take them just to feel slightly better
I would think an MRI for an ear infection is a bit overkill!

Closed Thread