It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Food gets stuck in tonsils!

Does anyone suffer from having food getting lodged in a tonsil? If so, does it feel like your throat is sore on that particular side when you swallow? I have tried rinsing, gargeling, etc...nothing helps. I usually have to take my fingernail and dig it out and today I made it bleed a little bit. My tonsil is larger than the one that doesn't give me trouble, but they say that getting your tonsils out as an adult is pretty hard on you. WHat should I do? The pain gets unbearable at times.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:04 AM   #2
(female)

ab123 HB User
Re: Food gets stuck in tonsils!

Singer1,

They are called tonsil stones. I used to get them. I just had my tonsils out because of them. (I am 26 by the way.)

Anyway, use the search option here. There are a few extensive posts about them.

Tonsil stones are a build-up of bacteria that get lodged in the pockets of the tonsils. From my understanding, there really isn't a known cause for this problem. Many people have this problem.

I got tried of picking them out. Tired of being self-conscious about the odor they cause. Tired of trying antibiotics, one after another after another. I just opted for the tonsillectomy.

Any questions, holler!!

amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab123
Singer1,

They are called tonsil stones. I used to get them. I just had my tonsils out because of them. (I am 26 by the way.)

Anyway, use the search option here. There are a few extensive posts about them.

Tonsil stones are a build-up of bacteria that get lodged in the pockets of the tonsils. From my understanding, there really isn't a known cause for this problem. Many people have this problem.

I got tried of picking them out. Tired of being self-conscious about the odor they cause. Tired of trying antibiotics, one after another after another. I just opted for the tonsillectomy.

Any questions, holler!!

amy
Tonsil stones....haven't heard of that! They don't know what causes it? did it hurt on that side when you swallowed? Is there any solution of getting rid of them? Brother! Always something! When did you get your tonsils out? How was the recovery? I'm 40 and the Dr. said it wouldn't be very pretty!

Old 03-26-2004, 06:19 AM   #4
(female)

ab123 HB User

Singer1,

There are mouth washes/gargles available on the internet. I never tried them though. I just don't buy into stuff like thatt. Like I said, the antibiotics didn't work for me. My ENT said they do work for some people.

The stones never hurt, I could just feel there was something there. I had the surgery on Feb. 27th. The pain was significant, but if you keep up with the pain meds it's tolerable. In the beginning it feels like there is a kleenex or cotton ball in your throat. I took adult liquid tylenol at about the half way point between the codeine doses. The worst pain for me came at about day 6 when the scab started to fall off. I was back to work on the 8th of March. Uphill from there.

Now at basically one month later, I still have a constant sore throat. I still use Chloraseptic. Overall it was, on a scale of 1-10, about an 8 for me.

I have to say that if I were 10 years older, I don't know if I would have made the same choice.

As my boss says, "It's all about the quality of life. You have to decide what makes life better for you." There is an end to the pain. There may not be an end to the tonsil stones!!!

Amy

Old 03-26-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab123
Singer1,

There are mouth washes/gargles available on the internet. I never tried them though. I just don't buy into stuff like thatt. Like I said, the antibiotics didn't work for me. My ENT said they do work for some people.

The stones never hurt, I could just feel there was something there. I had the surgery on Feb. 27th. The pain was significant, but if you keep up with the pain meds it's tolerable. In the beginning it feels like there is a kleenex or cotton ball in your throat. I took adult liquid tylenol at about the half way point between the codeine doses. The worst pain for me came at about day 6 when the scab started to fall off. I was back to work on the 8th of March. Uphill from there.

Now at basically one month later, I still have a constant sore throat. I still use Chloraseptic. Overall it was, on a scale of 1-10, about an 8 for me.

I have to say that if I were 10 years older, I don't know if I would have made the same choice.

As my boss says, "It's all about the quality of life. You have to decide what makes life better for you." There is an end to the pain. There may not be an end to the tonsil stones!!!

Amy
Then I'm not sure what the pain is then. I have a much larger tonsil on one side (which is the side that I have the food/stones) and when I swallow, it feels like something is stuck in one of the "pockets" that I have in my tonsils and it does feel like a sore throat, but just on that one side. I don't know...I know it's ANNOYING! I wonder is stones are more likely to occur in people if they sleep with their mouth open at night? Hmmm.....

Old 03-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #6

Mich41 HB User

Hi there,
You sound just like me. I get these things in my right tonsil all of the time and constantly feel like I have something there. The pain is unbearable at times, and I have some form of discomfort almost daily. I am 34 and my ent doesn't want to remove my tonsils, but i don't know how much longer I can endure this. I have had this problem for two years now. It doesn't affect my breath (my hubby would tell me), but it is causing damaging anxiety because I worry about throat cancer constantly. My ent says he sees nothing sinister in my throat at all. He looked with a scope, xrays and a ct scan. Like I said, I have had the pain for two years. How long have you had it for?

Take care,
Michelle

Old 03-26-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich41
Hi there,
You sound just like me. I get these things in my right tonsil all of the time and constantly feel like I have something there. The pain is unbearable at times, and I have some form of discomfort almost daily. I am 34 and my ent doesn't want to remove my tonsils, but i don't know how much longer I can endure this. I have had this problem for two years now. It doesn't affect my breath (my hubby would tell me), but it is causing damaging anxiety because I worry about throat cancer constantly. My ent says he sees nothing sinister in my throat at all. He looked with a scope, xrays and a ct scan. Like I said, I have had the pain for two years. How long have you had it for?

Take care,
Michelle
I have had this problem off and on for about 6 months or so. Do you feel like you have a sore throat just on the one side when you swallow?

Old 03-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #8

Mich41 HB User

Yes, I usually feel pain only on the right side. Not usually when I swallow, just all of the time. Have you been to an ent?

Old 03-26-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich41
Yes, I usually feel pain only on the right side. Not usually when I swallow, just all of the time. Have you been to an ent?

Yes, I have been to an ENT and he said that it was food that was caught in there and that since I had a larger tonsil than the other especially with "pockets", he could take then out which I do not want to do. The only time my throat hurts on that side is when I swallow, other than that it doesn't bother me. I ONLY notice it when I swallow. I don't know what to think because when I have dug stuff out, it is white but, it doesn't smell or anything. I poked around yesterday and got some out and poked it too hard to where it bled a little. Today, I don't see anything in the tonsil, but it HURTS! I'm thinking that since I was poking around in there with my fingernail, that didn't help the pain!

Old 03-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #10
(female)

Susannah HB User

For all of you on this thread, please look up tonsil stones or tonsiloliths. That's what these things are called, and there are many threads discussing it, as well as many web pages. Many people find that a water pick used in the correct manner can get them out. Also, there's an infection going on that is causing the pockets to form in the tonsils and the stones to form, so some people find relief using a mouthwash or a toothpaste that can kick the infection. I started using tea tree oil toothpaste and mouthwash, and that has been the end of my tonsil stones.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah
For all of you on this thread, please look up tonsil stones or tonsiloliths. That's what these things are called, and there are many threads discussing it, as well as many web pages. Many people find that a water pick used in the correct manner can get them out. Also, there's an infection going on that is causing the pockets to form in the tonsils and the stones to form, so some people find relief using a mouthwash or a toothpaste that can kick the infection. I started using tea tree oil toothpaste and mouthwash, and that has been the end of my tonsil stones.
What kind of infection causes the pockets in the tonsils? My ENT didn't mention anything to that affect. I'm glad we have these boards! We can learn so much that the Dr.s may not mention!!

Old 03-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #12
(female)

Susannah HB User

I think it could be a lot of different infections, but I'm not sure. But, my ENT was the one that told me it's an infection. I found out by accident that the tea tree oil mouthwash and toothpaste helps, because I just switched to it because I decided to cut out fluoride. Then, I read on the boards, that some people had had luck with the same stuff. My general physician always loves recommending to gargle with salt water, because that really does help a lot of bacterial infections (I guess by altering the pH), but I just can't stand gargling with salt water, so I'm not sure if it really helps or not.

Susannah

Closed Thread