It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 03:50 PM   #1

sea_blossom HB User
Tums - Expiration Date

I got a large package of Tums at a discount store for a really good price, but didn't notice the expiration date until later. They are marked June 2004 - I'd throw them out, but I remember my former boss who used to work at a pharmacy told me that asprin usually lasts much longer than its expiration date. She said to only toss them if they start to smell odd. So, I was wondering about antacids - the reason I bought the Tums was to use them for a calcium supplement. I wonder if the expiration date only applies to their effectiveness as antacids. Anyone know? TIA!

Old 06-02-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
(male)

janson HB User
Re: Tums - Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_blossom
I got a large package of Tums at a discount store for a really good price, but didn't notice the expiration date until later. They are marked June 2004 - I'd throw them out, but I remember my former boss who used to work at a pharmacy told me that asprin usually lasts much longer than its expiration date. She said to only toss them if they start to smell odd. So, I was wondering about antacids - the reason I bought the Tums was to use them for a calcium supplement. I wonder if the expiration date only applies to their effectiveness as antacids. Anyone know? TIA!
June 2004 has not passed yet. But Tums bond gastric acid and stomach in time reacts with higher secretion of acid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 AM   #3

sea_blossom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrijan
June 2004 has not passed yet. But Tums bond gastric acid and stomach in time reacts with higher secretion of acid.
I always thought that expiration dates referred to the beginning of the month (?).

So, I guess you are saying that taking Tums long-term is not a good idea because they cause the stomach to produce more acid? I usually only take 1 or 2 a day - don't know if that makes any difference.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
(male)

janson HB User

Problems with many antacids is that their effect declines with time - because of reactively increased acid secretion. Let's say you have normal acid now, you take Tums, acid reactively increase, then constipation appears because of high calcium, you stop with Tums, but then you will feel that acid. I know that doctors accept taking Tums as source of calcium but only when is lowered, in pregnancy and so on, but never on long term basis. I don't know about the dosage, I'm just sceptic about using drugs and supplements instead of usual food if there is no problem with that. They seems to be concentrated too much.
There is quite enough calcium in the food with some green vegetables, milk, fish...Some exposure to sun is also very important since vitamin D which enables absorption of calcium is produced in the skin under influence of sunlight.
Why do you think that you need extra calcium - have you low level of it in the blood?
[removed]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 06-02-2004 at 12:36 PM. Reason: This is a peer support board. Also do not instruct others on off board search. Thank you!

Old 06-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #5

sea_blossom HB User

Why do you think that you need extra calcium - have you low level of it in the blood?

My doctor took my weight before a PAP smear and commented that I've lost a few pounds, which makes me slightly underweight. She's says that osteoporosis is a concern for thin women, even at my age, 22. She suggested Tums for calcium. I used to take a multi w/45% DV of calcium, so I just drank a couple glasses of milk to get the full DV. I switched since the store was out of my normal multi - this one only has 15% DV of calcium, so I'm taking Tums to make up for it.

Old 06-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

on some items, they expire, after then what it says on the package, nothing reallly expires, but eventually it does eventually lose it's effectiveness.

[removed]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 06-03-2004 at 05:31 AM. Reason: This is a peer support board. Do not give advice in a professional context! Read and follow our rules! Thank you!

Closed Thread