It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 05:32 AM   #1
(female)

formerlsa HB User
Question lipoma??

Hello. First of all i do have health anxiety, that is why I notice EVERYTHING that goes on in my body. I've been stuggling with it for years. About 3 months ago, I felt a tiny little lump in between my ribs, but a bit lower, sort of in my upper abdomen. I went to my PC. He felt it although it was hard to find but it was palpable. He said he believed it was a lipoma, nothing to worry about, but if it grew bigger, of course to come back. I asked him if he was sure. He said that he could have a surgeon feel it, but he was pretty sure this is what it is. It doesn't seem to have grown, sometimes it doesn't even feel like it is there, but then when i search for it it is still there. I'm not sure what part of the body this is actually in, my stomach? It is right below that space between your ribs. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Would you get it taken out? He didn't suggest this. I read that lipomas can grow. How can he tell this is what it is? Would you go for a second opinion or should I just watch and wait? I certainly don't want to be cut open for nothing.

3 years ago I found a lump in my groin area. I was sure it was ovarian cancer. Well, it was a hernia. When they fixed it, the surgeon said it was the tiniest one she ever repaired. To me it seemed big, but you see, I notice everything in my body which could be a good or bad thing. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance Wendy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2004, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: lipoma??

I had one lipoma removed several years ago and I have two more that haven't changed size. The one I had removed was right in the middle of my back on my spinal column. It grew to be fairly large and I was self conscious about it. I could not wear dresses that allowed my back to show and it stuck out. Therefore, I had it removed. The other ones are small, one in my abdomen and one on my upper leg. These are not noticable unless I go looking for them. Dr.s can be pretty sure that they are lipomas because of the way they feel. I am like you. I have health anxiety also and think the worse at all times. It stinks, doesn't it? My advice, listen to your doctor and if it is unsightly or bothersome, have it removed. Mine was done under local anesthetic.

Old 06-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

formerlsa HB User
Re: lipoma??

Thank you so much for your reply. I do feel better. Its just that you can't see inside, so I wonder.........yeah, I wish I could someday live my life with just normal worries, health anxiety is hard. Like the song "don't want to worry my life away", but I've done it for many years and it was brought on by external incidents. For me, I try to stay busy, which is a good day, other days I crash. So, you wouldn't worry and you wouldn't get it checked out again? Thanx

Closed Thread