It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #1

stephiebear HB User
Unhappy "Hidden" Disabilities

I am new to this, so "bear" with me please. The following is a list of my Disabilities that has been verified & diagnosed: Bi-level Degenerative Disc Disease (L4-5, L5-S1). I've had two fusions, now have arthritis/scar tissue; Fibromyalgia; Full hysterectomy due to severe Endometriosis; Severe Sensory Neurothopy in both feet/legs & now in both arms (can't stand more than 5 min. in one place or walk a short distant before having problems); Severe Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in the right hand & moderate to severe in the left hand (surgery pending); Overactive Bladder; Permanent Tubes in both ears; Chronic Depression, PTSD, & Borderline Personality/Emotional Disorders. Basically, I live in constant pain 24/7 since 1990. I've had over ten surgeries, mostly on my back. Weight gain is also a problem. I'm a Veteran, forced out medically in 1995 (which I didn't want to occur). I've lost my career, health, and ability to live a "normal" life. The worse part is that I'm only 41 years old.

I have a cat, Toby, for pet therapy, but sometimes just taking care of Him is painful. I can't even clean my home. The VA has rated me as "unemployable", so I'm going to school (barely making it physically/mentally) working on my Masters Degree in Religious Studies so that I might become a volunteer Chaplain Assistant at the VA. I have to work extremely hard because the medications have limited my memory/concentration, not to mention having to sit for three hours. I'm suppose to lay down every afternoon, but usually spend time in the library. I desperately try to hide the pain, but usually cry when I get home. I have no insurance due to "prior existence" & have to rely on the VA for all financial/medical needs. I'm in debt because of some poor choices & the GI Bill doesn't cover the high cost of my education. I could have gone bankrupt, but I pay what I owe. Because of my limitations, I am unable to work to earn extra money. I've been trying to get grants, but no one seems to want to help a Disabled Veteran going part-time. (Any suggestions on how to obtain approx. $25,000 legally, no strings attached would be greatly appreciated! I'd pay it back somehow!) My question is this: What can I do, that I haven't already done, to relieve all of these painful conditions? The meds do not help, but the pain would be too great for me to bear if I didn't take them (I've tried to go without twice & had to get right back on them!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread