It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

Abrie25 HB User
Unhappy what could this be ? (weird plate like growth in throat and bumps on tongue)

I'm a 25 yr old female who recently re-developed extreme allergies from im guessing the pollen in the air and other things outdoors as well as teh pet dander of my two long haired cats (i think its all the dander that has accumulated in my small apartment bc i had a larger apnt before which gave more room for the dander to spread away from me but then again , they were always sleepiing in my face and i never suffered from allergies this bad). I have also had bad heart burn almost every day if i eat or dont eat, and i show all symptoms of gerd and acid reflux disease. I have no doubt i have this.
With that said, i have just discovered a platelike growth in the back of my throat(unless that is supposed to be there and i never felt it or its something that is supposed to be there but its inflamed and therefore bigger?) and medium red bumps on the back of my tongue towards my throat. The reason why i was feeling back there was because i have had trouble swallowing and have had a nagging cough, along with a feeling of something in my throat, im always clearing it. My question is, could this be an inflammation from a sinus infection or allergies, or can it be a tumor/cyst either benign or cancerous ? Regardless of what it coudl be i do know that i should see a doctor asap, and i dont have insurance or a regular doctor, but i am going to go to the ER tomorrow morning as i know i should not let this linger. My question is can anyone relate to this, did they have a biopsy or any other procedure to detect the culprit? If you can give me any insight on this i would be greatly appreciative, just so i can be aware of what i might be facing. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Abrie25; 06-12-2004 at 06:05 PM. Reason: left out info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: Can this be a tumor , benign or cancerous? Please read, im scared

Well, the bumps are probably your taste buds so you can stop worrying about those, but I'm not sure what you mean about the growth. What is platelike?

Old 06-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

Abrie25 HB User

Im not sure what the platelike growth is but it may have been there and i didnt even notice it before. It may be the epiglottis ? I did a mother load of research on the throat and I have a bump about the size if a pea right in the back of my throat behind the tongue on the right side. I heard that isnt always a good sign. I do not think THAT is supposed to be there . I am going to the ER today.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I would say it is most likely inflammation because you said you are having bad sinus problems. Odds of it being a cancerous tumor, probably one in a million. Generally, I wouldnt recommend reading too much online as far as what your symptoms are. Every symptom known to man can be cancer. Fortunately, it usually isnt. Do too much online research on you health, and you will probably end up convinced that you are dying of some terrible disease. good luck

Old 06-13-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
(female)

Abrie25 HB User

yeah, i dont get carried away unless i find something really abnormal and i have a lot of symptoms to follow it. That and I had mono about 7 months ago which turned into a lingering condition to this day. I just got back from the ER and the doctor said i had flared lymphnodes and i know all about that . he didnt help me much but the paper i got did , it stated that this can happen from diseases like mononucleosis or other things such as HIV. Flared Lymphnodes are a sign that your body is trying ti fight an infection so im pretty sure that my mono isnt completely gone and therefore makeing me much more susceptible to virus's and other conditions. It lowers the hell out of your immune system and even though i was notified it coudl last 6 months to a year i didnt actually beleive it would. Ever since i came down with this, i have not been myself. I wish i knew what to take to energize myself , im dead by mid afternoon no matter what i do and im getting sick all the time. I feel miserable and bc of mono i am paranoid that i have other things. My joint are all very sore and i get very dizzy. I also have stomach issues and bathroom issues. The doctor didnt care to elaborate on anything and i know that flared lymphnodes can be a sign of cancer in rare cases. BUt even though something is rare doesnt mean you dont have it. I guess teh bump was just a regular tissue inflamed but i still dont get what the flap is behind my tongue, i never noticed it before and it scared me , i mean i thought it was a growth ....is it teh epiglottis ? I looked at the anatomy of the throat and thats what i came up with judging from the diagrams. I guess thats something i never notcied bc i wasnt looking for it '? I dont know but it still feels odd. Anyway, this is not where my health problems end. I have acid reflux disease and i just started taking prilosec but prior to that i had been diagnosed with a peptic ulcer. I took cheap antacids and pepto bismol and i wasok,but it was starnge , one night i had the most excruciating pain in my life throught out my chest and what seemed like my back. The ER concluded a peptic ulcer. NOw that i have constant heart burn and gurgling acid in my throat im scared that it has done damage that i will need an endoscopy to detect bc i dont think it is normal to have trouble swallowing like this. Unless the swallowing trouble is from my sinus/allergie lymphnode flare up ? I will have to wait and see and if i still have trouble swallowing once im done taking the amoxocyllan and continue taking the generic allergy medicine thats supposed to be just as good at claritin. Im not convinced i have cancer but i am convinced i have a problem and i cant help but get scared when my father died of esophogial cancer. Did i mention he had horrible stomach and acid problems just like me ?

Closed Thread