It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #1

LaAlltheway0034 HB User
alcohol and weight gain...

in dec of 2003 i weight 101 pounds, also in that month i started drinkin alcohol like every weekend, now its june 2004 and i now weigh 117 pounds, which is like 15 pounds in 6 mouths which is alot since i never ever gain weight. could alcohol be the culprit of my resent weight gain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Re: alcohol and weight gain...

Yeah, alcohol, especially beer, tends to have a lot of calories...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 PM   #3

Hurdy HB User

Hi There, As the previous post had stated that alcohol has alot of calories, this is so very true and alcohol can cause a significant weight gain if it is drunk on a regular basis. Am i correct to assume that you are female? Also would you mind if i asked your age? During a womans life cycle it is normal for a woman to have a weight gain in her very late teens to early twenties and then again in her early to middle thirties. If you fall within these age ranges that may very well be the culprit of the weight gain in the first place and also a good possibility that the alcohol could have also helped to have added on a couple of more pounds that you might have otherwise not gained. Hoped i may have helped some and good luck. Hurdy

Old 06-15-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran

Saka HB User

Not only is it the alcohol that contributes to weight gain but also the drink you mix it with. There is quite a lot of difference between certain drinks such as diet sodas compared to non-diet soda. For example, if you are mixing your spirits with coke rather than Diet Coke there is a big difference to how many calories you are comsuming per drink.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #5

LaAlltheway0034 HB User

yes i am female, and i am 15, i dont drink beer just like vodka and rum, how many calories do these contain? also i stopped drinkin in april

Old 06-17-2004, 10:36 PM   #6

Hurdy HB User

Hi There, I am not sure how many calories Vodka and Rum has in them, but i am guessing that due to your age and the fact that you were drinking liquor that from between December and April you didnt drink enough to make you gain the weight. Are you pretty active? If so, even if it was the culprit most likely you would have lost the weight by now. Please dont be offended, but could it be possible that you might be pregnant? I know that with some girls your age that become pregnant can sometimes keep having there period every month and they will mysteriously gain weight and not know why. If there is no way that you could be pregnant, are you a late bloomer? Alot of the time when a girl starts to develop and gets her period she may have a big weight gain then as well as get taller, and this happens fairly quickly. If none of these things i have mentioned pertain to you, then i would probably go see your family doctor and see if he thinks that maybe you should have your thyroid checked. If your Thyroid isnt functioning properly that too can cause a weight gain. Now about your age and drinking...... i am not going to lecture you. I am sure you heard it all in school in d.a.r.e., i am glad to hear that you quit. My friends son, who was 17, went to a graduation party and drank liquor and beer. He passed out on the couch that the kids had put next to the bon fire. All the kids were standing and sitting around the bon fire drinking and having a good time, well my friends son laid right there and died from alcohol poisoning and none of the other kids even realized it till it was to late to do anything for him. It was such a shame. I wouldnt want anything bad to happen to you. Enough said about the alcohol, you did the right thing by quitting. Anyway, i hope that some of my ideas might help you. Let me know. Also, if you have anymore questions i would be more than happy to try and help you out. Hurdy Gurl

Old 06-19-2004, 04:44 PM   #7

LaAlltheway0034 HB User

it is highly unlikely that i am pregnant since i am a virgin, and i dont think i am a late bloomer because i had my period when i was 13. also how much drinking would i have to have done to gain 15 pounds?

Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #8

Hurdy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAlltheway0034
it is highly unlikely that i am pregnant since i am a virgin, and i dont think i am a late bloomer because i had my period when i was 13. also how much drinking would i have to have done to gain 15 pounds?
hi there, at your age most metabolisms are high so i would think that you would have to have been drinking ALOT and more than just on weekends. Has the weight gain stopped? Did you gain the 15 pounds and now you have leveled off and are no longer gaining? If you are still gaining i would look at any changes in your diet, if any at all, if you cant find anything obvious then i would go to your family doc and talk to him/her about it and maybe get bloodwork done to check your thyroid. Also, i know you said you are a virgin, but some girls that have trouble with their period get put on birth control, do you take birth control? Good luck

Old 06-23-2004, 08:21 AM   #9
(male)

clouds z HB User

a beer and a coke both have 140 cal dont they?how could one beer be so bad as long as you dont drink and drive?how many beers do you have a day? women should drink less and not at all if pregnant

Closed Thread