It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004, 07:26 PM   #1

Yaolinho HB User
I have a strange illness. Please help.

So far, no one but I am concerned about my strange illness.
I'm an 18 year-old male who just finished High School. Recently, I have been experiencing bouts of extreme sleepiness. This usually occurs in the morning, and no matter how much sleep I get, I will suddenly feel very tired. This sleepiness usually lasts 3 hours, and I am left with the rest of the day feeling a bit disoriented. The fatigue has become more severe every day. In fact, today, after waking up, I felt normal. But when I went to class just not too long afterwards, I felt so sleepy that I wanted to lie down on the cement.

However, I do not have a fever at all, and my blood pressure is fine at 130/90. I am not dizzy, but my head feels a bit strange. It's not a headache, but a kind of weak numbness. I dont know if anything is wrong with my brain because I am not losing any physical function and as well as I am still not sleepy, my memory and personality remains the same.

Today I lost my appetite. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. Last night I got about 10 hours of sleep. Please help.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Re: I have a strange illness. Please help.

There is a possibility that you have a sleep disorder. Check out the sleep disorder board here. Narcolepsy or sleep apnea come to mind. You may think your sleeping fine but may not be. Have you seen a Dr yet? There are other things that can contribut to sleepiness, do a search for 'sleepiness' and see what you come up with.

Hope this helps,
Abby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 08:10 PM   #3

shannon30 HB User

could also be mono....or maybe you are anemic

Old 06-19-2004, 08:36 AM   #4

Yaolinho HB User
I have a strange illness. Please help.

To add:

It's been happening for about 7 days and every day it seems to be progessively getting worse. I've lost my appetite for about 2 days, but I have no fever, nor sore throat. I've gotten so tired that when I went to the restroom at work, i just washed my hands but didnt actually urinate. Some research tells me I may have low blood sugar, but I have never had that problem in 18 years. WHy would the illness manifest itself now? My blood pressure remains normal, as is my temperature.

THe sleepiness and drowsiness resembles drunkiness. In the morning, it seems to be okay. Then, after about 2 hours, I begin to get extremely sleepy. Finally, four more hours later, the sleepiness dissipates, but still leaves a trace. It seems that my physical functions havent decreased. The sleepiness is different than fatigue because my body doesnt feel tired. Only my eyes and brain tell me that I'm tired. Could it be some type of brain damage or brain chemistry problem?

Old 06-19-2004, 06:34 PM   #5

VroomMotorBike HB User

This is a long shot, but have you gotton your Thyroid checked? Usually with Thyroid, the tiredness increases gradually over time, but I'd get a blood test to check the Thyroid levels anyhow.

Hope everything will turn out fine.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

All the above posters are pretty on target with your symptoms. It is probably best to see a doctor and have blood drawn to check for thyroid, anemia and other various things including a blood count, sugar levels and possibly mono or Ebstien Barr but both of those would have a sore throat and fever usually.

I wouldn't worry about something being wrong with your brain unless you had a closed head trauma recently and even then I'd think that would be preceeded with a severe headache or migraine.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

It could also be chronic fatigue syndrome (cfs) but the best way to find out what the problem is would be to go to the Dr. and have a complete physical. If you are continuing to worsen, I truly believe that;s the best thing to do.

Char

Old 06-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

As far as having low blood sugar, it could be true. Things like this can and do just pop up for no reason. About a yr ago I was first told I was diabetic with no family history. Fortunately mine is under control so far so I don't need meds. Have your dr check your blood sugar too.

Abby

Old 06-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
what job are you doing?

What was going on differently in work you were doing, when the fatigue started? ... yet you are sleeping enough? (are you cleaning? painting?)

While you are checking your blood also ask for them to get a retic ratio. Do you have too many immature red blood cells? That is a fatigue that is not usually found, thus CFS, CFIDS and other syndromes, like 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1067434#post1067434[/url]

You would have lots of other symptoms such as these just shared on another topic.

2-butoxyethanol poisoning is more common place than people realize ... it gets away with its harm, because there are so many secondary symptoms, they get the 'blame'

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 06-20-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 PM   #10
(female)

damaged_tirips HB User

One of my friends had those symptoms, and she found out she had mononucleosis. If she doesn't take care of herself, it reoccurs throughout her years. It could really be a number of things, go to the doctor to be sure.

Closed Thread