It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 07:32 AM   #1

KingWilliamBurk HB User
My dad is getting horrible bug bites

Hello everyone,

My dad has been getting bug bites ever since we moved to a rental apartment in Linthicum, MD, in the beginning of December 2003, which is in a suburban area, around trees and grass. We installed brand new carpet, and bought brand new furniture.

Here is our living arrangement:
-We don't, and we never had any pets
-Our rental apartment is apart of a compound of many 3 level buildings, 4 apartments on each level
-3 buildings are joined together, hense 36 apartments are together in small blocks
-Total of 300+ apartments in our compound

He started getting bug bites in January 2004, and was using Avon's Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard, and it was hardly working. He called the rental apartment manager, who called the exterminator. The exterminator saw dad's bug bite marks on his body, and concluded it was fleas, even though visually we checked the beds and sofa, and, we, along with the exterminator could not find any flees, or any other insects in the apartment. The apartment was treated by the exterminator, and we were asked not to come into the apartment for three hours. Dad was relieved of bug bites for more than three months.

In the middle of May 2004, dad started getting the bites again, but even though visually we checked the beds and sofa we couldn't see any bugs, fleas, mosquitos, etc. Dad used Off insect repellant spray with 14.25% DEET, and we don't know if it works effectively. Again, the exterminator was called, and treated the apartment on May 28, 2004, and again he told us to stay away from the apartment for three hours. For two weeks, dad was free of bug bites. Then last Monday, the bug bites came back with a vengeance. He is now using Cutter insect repellant spram with 21.85% DEET, and it hardly works. We don't know if they are fleas, or mosquitos, or what, and we can't even see anything. The bites are itching so bad that he wants to take a blade and cut that part of the skin off. Instead he cleans the affected area with alcohol stub, and applies anti-itch cream, which gives little relief. He has been unable to sleep because of this agony.

One important thing to note is that the bugs are biting him only, not me. These bites leave red bumps, mostly on the veins of the body on the arms, lower and upper parts of legs, feet, and side of the waist.

Please help us. Is there something the exterminator can do to destroy these creatures, whatever they are permanently? We don't mind even vacating the apartment for even a few days. Or, is there any medication to be taken so that these creatures stop biting.

Thanks in advance for your appreciated help,
[ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-19-2004 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Do not ask members to email you. These boards are for anonymous public on-the-boards sharing only. Please review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on Posting Rules at the top left of this page.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User
Re: My dad is getting horrible bug bites

I can only offer some other things to check. Mites are not seen with the human eye, although you would think that the extermination would have gotten rid of that. Im wondering if a new matteress could help (lots there).

Second, since the bugs are only attracted to him and no others, does he apply or wear any type sweet smelling lotion,colognes,soap, etc.? That attracts bugs from anywhere.

Third, is he outdoors mostly during day or night and possibly getting bitten then, and is feeling the after effects at home, thinking the source in within the apartment instead of outdoors? Example you stated last Monday it hit with a vengance, had it rained hard Sunday or Monday, that is when fleas, and bugs then to come out, also after a yard has freshly mowed. Since he does not pets himself, the others in the complex with pets, with the surroundings of trees, etc are a haven for breeding grounds.

Last edited by crabbyroad; 06-19-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #3

VroomMotorBike HB User

Hello Crabbyroad,

We both appreciate your reply.

The mattress was purchased brand new when we were buying brand new furniture back in December 2003.

Dad doesn't apply or wear any time of sweet smelling lotion, colognes, soap, etc

Also, he is mostly indoors, and all these incidents have taken place indoors. It didn't rain at all on Sunday or Monday. When he is outdoors, he takes precautions against tick bites, and walks on the pavement, rather than walking on the grass. The grass wasn't freshly mowed either.

As for pets in our complex, there are no pets living on our level.

We both appreciate your concern and the help you are providing, thanks in advance

Old 06-19-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Vroom,
The only other thing I can come up with is that perhaps these are NOT insect bites but a systemic dematological problem of some kind.Perhaps your father might consider seeing a dermatologist?

zuzu xx

Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

I'm going to guess it's fleas, too. You don't have to have a pet to have them; they're not picky about who they bite, and they'll just as soon bite a human if there's no animal around. They also don't bite everyone....they are only attracted to certain people, which is why some people in a family are bitten and others aren't. The fact that your dad is bitten pretty much from the waist down is a good indicator, too. They are very hard to get rid of, and they say if you see 'one', you have hundreds. I also know that when you bomb/spray/whatever, you are to do it again two weeks later to kill any eggs that hatch. Which may explain why he was fine for two weeks then got hit again. The first time? Could be you guys had just gotten them and maybe one trip from the exterminator did the trick. As for where they're coming from....anywhere. If the grass outside has them, you'll bring them indoors in your pants cuff, your socks, your shoes, etc. Also, if you treat the home, you also need to treat the cars, otherwise you'll simply bring them back in with you. And you can have them all over your home and never see one. They're small and jump VERY fast. You can search high and low and never find one, but a good test to see if you have them is to lay something white on your floor such as a kleenex or hankie, then sit quietly for awhile and watch it. If you have fleas, eventually you'll see them on the kleenex.

Another possibility is bed bugs. Has he been in a hotel since you've moved? Bed bugs are back with a vengeance - I know, unbelievable - and you can pick them up in any kind of hotel, even a four-star one. I know a family who went away for a week-end and brought the bugs back home with them. You can look at your box springs and see if there's anything there.

The fact that your dad is getting relief every time the exterminator comes tells me something is biting him, but why they keep coming back is going to take some detective work on your part.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #6

flygirrll HB User

Maybe this is scabies. Scabies is incredibly itchy and miserable. They burrow tiny 'tunnels' under your skin which can look like veins. He really should see a doctor to determine exactly what this is.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #7

VroomMotorBike HB User

Hello everyone,

We both appreciate your responses. We haven't come back from vacation or anything like that. And we are quite baffled as to why the fleas bite some people, and not others. I was speaking with my dad, and he said that he knows two other people who experienced the similar situation. One is this lady who was getting bites from some unknown creature, while the rest of her family was unaffected. Another person he told me about was this gentleman, living with roomates, and only he was getting bites from some unknown creature, while his roomates were unaffected. Both these people are of different ethnic groups, living in a different part of the US, and this occurred during different decades, and during different seasons.

Apart from figuring out how to make sure these fleas don't come back, we're just curious as to why fleas pick on some people and not others. If anyone can give any insight as to why this happens, we'd be most greatful.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-22-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have heard than higher skin temperature and sweat are mosquito attractants. Maybe the same thing applies to fleas!

zuzu xx

Old 06-22-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
(female)

Mabulok HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWilliamBurk
Hello everyone,

My dad has been getting bug bites ever since we moved to a rental apartment in Linthicum, MD, in the beginning of December 2003, which is in a suburban area, around trees and grass. We installed brand new carpet, and bought brand new furniture.

Here is our living arrangement:
-We don't, and we never had any pets
-Our rental apartment is apart of a compound of many 3 level buildings, 4 apartments on each level
-3 buildings are joined together, hense 36 apartments are together in small blocks
-Total of 300+ apartments in our compound

He started getting bug bites in January 2004, and was using Avon's Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard, and it was hardly working. He called the rental apartment manager, who called the exterminator. The exterminator saw dad's bug bite marks on his body, and concluded it was fleas, even though visually we checked the beds and sofa, and, we, along with the exterminator could not find any flees, or any other insects in the apartment. The apartment was treated by the exterminator, and we were asked not to come into the apartment for three hours. Dad was relieved of bug bites for more than three months.

In the middle of May 2004, dad started getting the bites again, but even though visually we checked the beds and sofa we couldn't see any bugs, fleas, mosquitos, etc. Dad used Off insect repellant spray with 14.25% DEET, and we don't know if it works effectively. Again, the exterminator was called, and treated the apartment on May 28, 2004, and again he told us to stay away from the apartment for three hours. For two weeks, dad was free of bug bites. Then last Monday, the bug bites came back with a vengeance. He is now using Cutter insect repellant spram with 21.85% DEET, and it hardly works. We don't know if they are fleas, or mosquitos, or what, and we can't even see anything. The bites are itching so bad that he wants to take a blade and cut that part of the skin off. Instead he cleans the affected area with alcohol stub, and applies anti-itch cream, which gives little relief. He has been unable to sleep because of this agony.

One important thing to note is that the bugs are biting him only, not me. These bites leave red bumps, mostly on the veins of the body on the arms, lower and upper parts of legs, feet, and side of the waist.

Please help us. Is there something the exterminator can do to destroy these creatures, whatever they are permanently? We don't mind even vacating the apartment for even a few days. Or, is there any medication to be taken so that these creatures stop biting.

Thanks in advance for your appreciated help,
[ removed ]
Sounds like scabies. You can easily get them again if you don't rid your clothing of them, as well as your bedding. You can see a dermatologist for a positive diagnosis and something to get rid of them.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #10

VroomMotorBike HB User

Hello everyone,

I really appreciate all the responses we've been getting. It seems that dad's problem hasn't gone away. I did some more research on the internet, and it's not scabies. The bites he gets turn out to be large red bumps, the size of a pencil eraser. However, for the past week, the bumps decreased in diameter, but they are horribly itchy as usual. He even put on lotion in addition to repellant, but no use. And today when I was sitting on his bed, I saw a small, black, pencil point-sized bug just crawl onto my hand. Now I'm wondering, this is bug the culprit, and if so, what type of bug is it. I practically spent the whole day researching what type of bug, mosquito, flea, etc it could be, but no such luck. Please shine some light on this situation.

Thank you all very much in advance

Last edited by VroomMotorBike; 07-17-2004 at 02:48 PM.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Could be spider bites. On July 4th outdoors in a pasture where a cookout was taking place I sat in a chair most of the evening holding my little grandbaby. Next day I had 27 spider bites on both thighs. I did not feel anything crawling on me, they went up pant legs. Bites were red hard bumps, itched like crazy, whelped around each one and took until now to clear. They itched so bad I felt like legs were full of goose pimples and I wanted to dust like an old chicken hen in ashes to stop the itch. I did not see the spiders but the bite was the same as I had in the past diagnosed by a dermatologist.

Check your apt for little spiders, **** in corners of room, under corners of kitchen cabinets, etc. It is hard to get rid of spiders, usually the sprays work only for a very short time. Check the bed to be sure a spider is not living in the covers or under the bed or bed frame.

As much as your dad is being bitten it may not be spiders. Even tiny spiders can pack a punch when they bite and the person is highly allergic to them.

Old 07-17-2004, 04:49 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kellie mentioned bedbugs. This is a definite possibility. Fleas DO leap and leap fast. If the critter that crawled onto your hand kind of stayed there, it may not be a flea.
Do a search on bedbugs if you haven't already. You can find images of them too.

zuzu

Old 07-17-2004, 09:32 PM   #13

TXperson HB User

Hello, from the sound of it, i believe that it is fleas, and they are attracted by certain blood types, and an old home remedy that you can try is to take a white plate or saucer set it on the floor under a nightlight, then fill it with plain water, then add a few drops of dawn dish washing liquid. It attracks them and kills them.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:36 AM   #14

VroomMotorBike HB User

Hello everyone,

My dad went to the dermatologist who said to use citronella candles, which we've placed all over the apartment. At the same time, he stopped eating watermelon. Now, for the past few weeks, he hasn't been attacked by fleas. Perhaps its the candles, or perhaps its him not eating watermelon, or a combination of both, plus of course, the generous advice we've received from this board.

However, yesterday, I began to receive bug bites! Last night, I thought I just received a simple mosquito bite next to my right elbo, and I went to sleep. This morning, I woke up to find that "mosquito" bite become a red, slightly itchy bump (I did not scratch!) with a diameter of 1/2 inch. Not only that, there was a fresh bite about an inch away from the bite I got the previous night, and right now, it is a red, slightly itchy bump with a diameter of 1/4 an inch.

My dad says it is different from what he got, and he thinks its bed bugs. I have absolutely no idea how I got these two red ugly bumps (they look like puncture wounds as if being bitten from a vampire!), and I want to know how I can prevent from getting them again.

Incidentally, I heard about using talcum powder on your body, but I'm not sure if it will repell these creatures, or only invite more of them.

Again, we're greatful to the help you provide, thanks very much in advance.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

even though you do not have any pets on your level, if anyone in the building has a pet, that is probably where they are coming form. fleas can jump. they will go upstairs and downstairs. the management should have all the apartments checked and exterminated in your building

Closed Thread