It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Ear Infection - cold remedies

Is 20 years old too old to have an ear infection?

I have had a sore throat for the past week or so, and then have gradually started a cough that is becoming more constant, and then yesterday morning when I woke up I had a huge pain in my ear. Last night when trying to sleep there was a throbbing ache-type pain in my ear, which feels kind of like when I had ear infections as a kid, but I thought I could remember hearing adults don't have ear infections.. or are they just uncommon?
Maybe its not an infection.
I think I also have a fever, but the lymph nodes on my neck are not really that swollen.

I have final year university exams starting in less than a week and as a result of this cough and now the ear ache I haven't been getting much sleep.. at all.
I am taking cough medicine and also some garlic tablets and the throat tablets that numb the throat... but I would like something to make it go away sooner. My stomach muscles are all sore from coughing all the time. I just want to sleep, but there is too much study for me to do.

Thanks if any ideas on how to feel better.

Last edited by Greenoctopus18; 06-19-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User
Re: Ear Infection - cold remedies

it could me just a virus in your year(not same as year infection) do u get dizzy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

So, if it is a virus would I need to see a doctor?

I haven't really noticed any dizziness.. I haven't had a headache either.
Inside my ear hurts a lot whenever I swallow or open my mouth...

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

if it is a virus, they won't give u antibiotics, they'll probably tell you to take gravol or something... but since you don't have dizziness or headaches (my friend had those, she had/s virus) so i guess it sounds like an ear infection i know how bad they hurt. also it is possible to get ear infections when your an adult, i've known ppl. it is just not as common

Old 06-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Oh, great.. so I need antibiotics? or at least to see a doctor?

The pain is worst when it comes to bed time... it is hard to ignore.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 06-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

ya, go to the doc, let me know what happens. lol, cool, we're both online at the same time, tee hee. lol

Last edited by whiteluluflower; 06-19-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I am quite a bit older than you and I developed an ear infection just over the past four days. I waited for 2 days, had the doctor check and nothing looked abnormal. Yesterday, it was so bad I couldn't touch my ear or the side of my face. Doctor checked again the the ear was infected. Got antibiotics, took Sudafed and Flonase. Seems to be improving. It sounds like you went into either sinusitis, bronchitis, and an ear infection. Might be worthwhile to see a Doctor and get something to help, especially if you have exams. May clear you in 24-48 hours.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hi. Thanks. I will try and see a doctor in the morning and hope they think exams are serious enough to let me skip ahead in the line.

My ear seems to get a lot worse in the night time.. especially when I am laying down.

My mum said they might be able to give antibiotics and everything might be better in a couple of days.. I really hope so. I don't want to be sitting exams feeling like this. They start in 3 days.

Old 06-22-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

I saw the doctor a while ago and was told that there was fluid in the middle ear (if that sounds right?), but not enough to need antibiotics. It still feels a bit sore and deaf, but getting better. And my cough may even be getting slightly better as well.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

yay!! feel better and good luck on your exams.

Closed Thread