It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User
ingrown toenail trouble

Every couple of months or so I have to trim back my ingrown toenails. It is quite painful and sometimes it takes me an hour or two to get the job done. I do this by digging into the area carefully with very sharp, tiny scissors. I have never had any problems such as infections or anything. However, I am tired of getting ingrown toenails and even more tired of the "procedure" I end up performing on myself. Does anyone with this problem have any rememdies for this problem? Either ways to get at the deeply ingrown nail or ways to get the nail to grow out properly? Has anyone ever heard of cutting a "V" in the top of the nail which supposedly helps to pull the edges toward the center as the nail grows back out? Does that work? I am open to any suggestions! Thanks!!

Old 06-20-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Inactive

troubledchild HB User
Talking Re: ingrown toenail trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinemeadow
Every couple of months or so I have to trim back my ingrown toenails. It is quite painful and sometimes it takes me an hour or two to get the job done. I do this by digging into the area carefully with very sharp, tiny scissors. I have never had any problems such as infections or anything. However, I am tired of getting ingrown toenails and even more tired of the "procedure" I end up performing on myself. Does anyone with this problem have any rememdies for this problem? Either ways to get at the deeply ingrown nail or ways to get the nail to grow out properly? Has anyone ever heard of cutting a "V" in the top of the nail which supposedly helps to pull the edges toward the center as the nail grows back out? Does that work? I am open to any suggestions! Thanks!!
Hi Alpinemeadow,

I get ingrown toenails all of the time and I know how bad they can hurt.

Before you go sticking any kind of tool to fix this problem. This is what I want you to do.

Soak your foot in warm to hot water for at least 20 minutes so you skin and nail get moist and is easy to cut out. If you have toenail clippers that cut from the side use them. They look like the regular clippers but the clipper angles on the side instead of the tip. Cut your nail from the top to the part where it is in grown. After you get that nail off use some tweezers to pull out the nail that is ingrown into the skin, this is the part that kills. If the nail ingrown starts to get hard soak your foot again for a few minutes.

Once you get the nail out, you will know when you get it out because you won't feel the pressure, put some peroxide on the area so the dirt doesn't get imbedded put some triple antibiotic cream in the corner where the nail came out. Put a bandaid on it for one day only you don't want the moisture to get into it for too long.

Once you get ingrown nails you will always get ingrown nails and I have my father to thank for, for that, HEREDITARY!

The best way to keep them from forming as often is to wear comfortable shoes, don't wear them too tight or you will have problems, alot of people wear shoes that are too small for their feet and they don't even know it.

I usually get ingrown nails about once every couple of months, and it all started when I was in the military because the boots they make you wear are not the most comfortable things in the world.

I hope I gave you some clear and helpful information.

Grace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: ingrown toenail trouble

My then 11 1/2 year old daughter had a severe problem with an ingrown toenail (she decided to trim her nails without my knowledge and didnt know not to trim it the way that she did)--it got infected constantly-and just about had to have it surgically removed..this went off and on for almost a year...BUT..I got smart! Instead of antibiotics for the infection...I soaked her toe 4-5 times a day in peroxide--it got rid of the infection and the soreness. When it got to the point to where it wasnt sore anymore---she soaked it in warm (almost hot) water for about 10 minutes EVERY DAY--2-3 times a day, to soften it...then I would take the file on the toe nail clippers and place it under the nail and pull it out of the skin, if the nail wasnt real long. If the nail was long enough, I would soak it in the warm/hot water to soften it, and then take the nail file and place (tuck) a very tiny piece of cotton (this is what the dr told me to do if I could manage it--and it IS very tedious to deal with!!) or a band-aid--under the toe nail to keep it away from where it is going into the skin. In other words, you are wanting to try to get the nail long enough to put something under it to get it above the skin and to re-direct it and "re-train" it to grow in the right direction. She has not had a problem with this since last summer---so all of this does work. Hope this helps!

Old 06-21-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User

Thank you both for your replies. Troubledchild, I will definitely try your suggestions. Ladybug, I am interested in getting the nail retrained to grow in the proper direction so that it grows out of the toe and not into it. But I can't imagine, as deep as the sides grow into the flesh, that I would ever be able to place anything between the skin and the side of the nail. Did your daughter have deeply ingrown nails and it still worked to do that? Again, thank you for replies, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

In my opinion, it was deep into the skin. A good size of the nail was embedded. Getting something under it--or at least keeping it pryed out of the skin until it grows past where it is going into the skin is the key to getting rid of the problem. As I said, getting something under it--(I took a bandaid--cut a small portion of the padding of the bandage, took a toothpick and pushed it in under the nail to lift it above the skin so that it would have no where to go but up---if the nail is not long enough, it will not stay...you might need someone to do this for you, so that the other person can be in a better position to work with it).....it is very tedious--but this does work. In my opinion, you do not want to cut the nail at all...I refused to cut on the nail--cause the objective is to let it get as long as possible, so that you can actually cut it in the right direction---straight across---and get it above where it wants to keep embedding itself into the skin. I was taking my daughter in to the dr's every 2 months over this, and after almost a year, they said the next step--if it got infected again, and not straightened out, would be to have it surgically removed--the dr described to a T how it would be done and DEEPLY expressed how painful the procedure would be----so I felt I had no choice but to do all that I could do keep it from going to that. Apparently what I done worked, cause she hasnt had any problems since last summer with it. My daughter is so tickled that it worked and that I saved her from having to have it surgically removed and that she no longer suffers with a sore toe. Good luck and let me know if you get it resolved.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:20 PM   #6

Broadwaygirl03 HB User

I have the same problem! When I did ballet on pointe shoe a long time ago I started to get horrible infections. I went to the foot doctor so many times I learned how to do it myself, pretty much as you described. I've been ballet-free for over two years and get them time to time. Sometimes I find that certain shoes will give me the problem, other occur on their own. The best way I've found to handle it is to soak your foot in really hot water (sometimes I even heat it on the stove, but be careful!) and I always put this Ebsom (spelling) salt that I get at the drug store in. By some miracle, after a couple soaks they will go away. I usually give the toe like four days after I first noticed it to go away with soaking, and if not, it's either time to go see the foot doctor or try it myself. Sometimes it's just too painful!

Like you troubledchild, I have my dad to thank!

Just a side note, I did have the procedure done where they spray the nail so stop growing. So I basically had a sliver of the side my my toenail removed. I've been through a lot medically and for some reason, it was one of the most painful things ever. It doesn't look any different, and for the record, I still have problems with the toe.
~Into the Woods

Old 06-24-2004, 05:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

I had the doctor remove the nails and when they grew back he cut them with a slit in the side and they were never ingrown again.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:05 AM   #8
Inactive

girrl75 HB User

I myself used to have problems with ingrown toe nails, but I am a diabetic and never dared to try to remove them myself. I used to end up going to a podiatrist to have them removed. Eventually, I got tired of the routine of doing that, and she suggested that I have the nail bed burned, and I did. She numbed my toe and what she did was she pulled out the ingrown part all the way up to the cuticle and then she put some sort of acid or something on the nail bed where she removed it and it never grew back. That was about 4 years ago...........and I haven't had any problems since and it was relatively painless.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #9

DarthDooku HB User

I had this problem when i was about 16, and i used to cut them out myself also. I used to cut it pretty deep. As deep as i could without screaming. Sometimes i would dig in there and get all kinds of pus oozing out. After doing it myself two or three times, i havent had one in 8 years.

But my brother had them, and he didnt do anything. He went to the doctors once for surgery, and hasnt gotten one since.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

yeah, i like to play foot doctor sometimes too. i get them like, twice a year, but i never think its anything i need to worry about and see a Dr about. wow, an anxiety sufferer saying nothing to see a Dr over, lol. i digress. but i just dig and dig until i can get the file under there, then pry the silly thing up. it hurts, but its almost that good feeling hurt, where you wanna hurt it a lil cuz its a relieving hurt ya know? i've oozed a few times, but it seems to me that theres no hope in getting rid of them, they just come. but, next time i have one, i'll try some of the above methods.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

i also have horrid ingrowns im getting one right now actaully it really hurts, i also want to know how i can get rid of it. im sooooooo scared of getting an infection see this february i had one on my other toe and i had it surgically done like everyone said, and to make a long story short i got gange green and now i have no big toe on my left foot. so you can see how i woudlnt like to have another infection

Old 08-02-2004, 11:19 AM   #12
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledchild

Soak your foot in warm to hot water for at least 20 minutes so you skin and nail get moist and is easy to cut out. If you have toenail clippers that cut from the side use them. They look like the regular clippers but the clipper angles on the side instead of the tip. Cut your nail from the top to the part where it is in grown. After you get that nail off use some tweezers to pull out the nail that is ingrown into the skin, this is the part that kills. If the nail ingrown starts to get hard soak your foot again for a few minutes.

Once you get the nail out, you will know when you get it out because you won't feel the pressure, put some peroxide on the area so the dirt doesn't get imbedded put some triple antibiotic cream in the corner where the nail came out. Put a bandaid on it for one day only you don't want the moisture to get into it for too long.

Grace gave great adive here. I have had this problem for quite some time and found soaking my feet has been the best method besides any surgrey that could be done. For nail clippers I use the ones that come it a nail file and it has a sharp edge. With that edge I find it easier to get in the tough spots.

Last edited by eightball61; 08-02-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:48 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

Just wanted to check in to see if you have tried any of our suggestions. If so, how is it going?

Closed Thread