It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Lack of Sleep

For the past week or so I have been sleeping at 2-3am and waking up at around 8 or 9. I then sometimes have 30-60 minutes sleep in the evening.

Last night I went to sleep at around 5am and woke at 7. Apart from just feeling tired, which is to be expected, I also have a headache and a very sick-feeling stomach.

The thing is, my major problem is that I have an end-of-semester exam worth 100% of my total mark today... at 1:45pm.
I have tried eating and drinking lots of water but my tummy is still feeling very sick. What can be done to settle it? And is it from not enough sleep?
I have a lot of studying to be done now. I'm just not sure how to concentrate when I'm feeling so dizzy and ill.

And how can I make myself go to sleep? I have been sick with a sore ear and cough that kept me up most of the nights. Last night I just lay there for hours not sleeping. I will probably be able to fall asleep ok after this exam, however, I have another one early the next morning.. so I'm not sure if I can afford to sleep just yet.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-22-2004 at 06:44 PM. Reason: ... to correct title. Please use normal typing. Do not mix lower and upper case for effect. It is hard to read and annoying to others. Thank you.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Re: LAck of SLeep

Well, I'm feeling a bit more awake and healthy now...

However, I would still like some ideas on how to get some sleep. My sleeping hours are very wrong. I would like them to be normal, i.e. sleep at 11-12, wake at 7. But I can't seem to get it back to the way it was. Any ideas, please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2004, 06:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Lack of Sleep

My husband goes through the same thing when he gets stressed out and it usually takes him a week or two to get back on schedule again.
A few things to try to relax are to take a warm relaxing bath before going to bed. I now it's summer time and probably warm but worth a try. Listen to some relaxing music or read a book about an hour or so before you want to go to bed. Make sure there are no lights on or light streaming in the room. Don't drink any caffiene in the afternoon or evening. If you normally drink caffienated products use decaffienated (sp) instead until your pattern is back to normal.
You may want to try some of the over the counter medications but be careful, your body can become used to them requiring you to use them frequently.

Hopefully some of those will help you out and you'll be back on track soon. Stress takes its toll on our body's in various ways, including disturbing our sleep patterns. The key is to try to get yourself relaxed so you can get back to normal.

Good luck and I hope your tests went well!

Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hey. Thanks for the tips.

I thought about some of the over-the-counter things available, but I would probably rely on them every night if I started.

Someone said something about Valerian tablets. Are these the same kind of thing?

I have 4 days until my next exam, so I will try and get my hours back to normal by then.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Veteran

HeyThere HB User

Are you on OTC cold/cough/experent medicine - that stuff has high amounts of medicinal chemical speed it does something to the lungs. maybe that is why you cant sleep all jacked up on it.

Old 06-25-2004, 04:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Hmmm...Someone did mention they have speed in them.
I have been taking cold and flu tablets that are meant to decongest.
I take 2 of these, 3 times each day.

What is PSEUDOEPHEDRINE HYDROCHLORIDE?

I would be taking about 400mg of PSEUDOEPHEDRINE HYDROCHLORIDE per day in the tablets as well as some cough medicine I am taking.

Also, the tablets contain 45mg of PHENYLEPHRINE HYDROCHLORIDE per day.

I still have a cough.. I think it was gone, but then went out in the cold and it returned again. I might try not taking anymore medications.

I have been drinking some coffee too lately... but not before trying to sleep.. and it hasn't ever really kept me awake in the past when I used to drink it either.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

There's your problem. Alot of people react to allergy medications, myself included. If I take an antihistamine I stay up for at least a day. If you have problems with coughing try Benadryl instead, it should actually help you to sleep and not give you insomnia.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User

Oh,. Thanks.

Yesterday I only used the cough syrup and was able to get to sleep by about 1am, only I kept waking up every 20 minutes or so and then falling back to sleep quickly... so each time I woke up I thought it would be morning.

One other Winter I took some day and night flu tablets and the night time ones were good because they made you feel sleepy. I might get some of those, as well as some Benadryl for the cough, next time I need it again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Closed Thread