It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 09:11 AM   #1

psucher HB User
Post 8 Days Post-Op

Hey everyone...
This is the first time I've posted since I had my L5-S1 discectomy and laminectomy with decompression last Wednesday. How am I doing....ugh...well let's see...I can't really say for sure if the pain that I was originally experiencing is gone or not...I still have pain in the lower back and there is a still a little numbness in 3 toes. My doctor did say that I could still experience some numbness though. As far as the pain in the lower back goes...it's not the same pain I was experiencing before...I think it's most likely pain from the incision....I never imagined how sore I could be. My incision is 6 inches long Horrible, horrible scar! I am so swollen...on each side of my incision it's like a balloon was put inside of me...and then the area where my tailbone is about 3 times the normal size. Let's start from the beginning...sorry if this turns into a long post. First off...I am extremely disappointed in Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh. They are said to be such a great facility....the care you receive...well let's see--did I even receive much care? When I first went in...I had to have my blood type and screen done...and then they took me to the Special Pain Unit where I had to get changed and sit in this horribly uncomfortable recliner for 2 hours while I filled out paperwork. Then they weren't even going to allow me to see my family during this time...I had to fight about that. Then I was taken to the pre-op area where they had to continuously stick me with IV's. First they stuck me in my right wrist...didn't work, then my right hand and finally got it after blood gushed everywhere. Then after I was put to sleep they stabbed me once again in my left hand which still hurts like hell today and my hand and knuckles are completely bruised. During my 2 hour stay there...I wasn't allowed family to visit with me...and I hardly no interaction with any nurses or doctors or anything. I laid there...I was thinking to myself unbelievable. I don't remember any part of my surgery...good stuff they gave me! I was in the recovery room for 2 hours...my fiance and mom did get to visit with me there for about 5 minutes, don't really remember that though. I was taken to my room where my neurosurgeon visited for maybe 1 minute and had me try to push down on his hands with my feet...what a joke! By the time all of this was over...it was 7:30 and visiting hours were over at 8:30...I got to see my family for about an hour which I guess I can't even really say that...I was pretty much knocked out. I was in a good bit of pain...but mostly soreness and just really being uncomfortable. I got up and went pee at around 9:30 by myself...puked on the way...but hey you do what you gotta do, I wasn't peeing the bed. That was hell...I had to sit on the toilet for 20 minutes before a drop came out. By the way...I experienced trouble urinating for a few days once I got home...it was just really harded to get started since you're not supposed to push. All that night from 9:00-7:30 the next morning....the only times I had a nurse and this was just a nurse's aide come in was twice...to take my vitals. During that time...if I wouldn't have asked her to send a nurse in because I was in pain....I wouldn't have seen one. Unbelievable! My fiance and mom arrived around 7:30 that morning to visit with me...they slept on the floor of a waiting room the night before...great accomodations! I slept on and off that day....but was really experiencing a good bit of pain. Around 11:30...an associate of my neurosurgeon and 2 physician assistants popped their head in to tell me I would be getting released that day....wasn't to thrilled about that. No instructions or nothing!! A physical therapist arrived around 1:00 and had to get up to walk around...and then she took me to a flight of stairs and wanted me to walk down a few. I looked at her like are you nuts?! My head was spinning...I was wobbly...I wasn't crashing down 20 steps. Then around 2:30....the physician's assistant came in and asked me how I was feeling and said you're going to be going home soon. Around 4:30...a very rude male nurse arrived in my room and had me sign my discharge sheets which only said no bending or twisting for 6-8 weeks and left. Nothing else...no instructions or nothing. Now Mercy Hospital is a huge hospital...has how many different buildings...they weren't even going to offer me a wheelchair...my fiance had to go ask for one. I have to say I was definitely not happy at all with that place...and I will never go back to that facility again. Over the next 2 days...I slept a lot. However...I still knew that I had to get up and move around....very tough. It feels like you're skin is stretching apart..sorta like someone is playing tug of war with it...and it feels like your incision is gonna burst open. Today...I am able to get up and walk around, sit on the edge of the bed...and that's about it. I can't sit up on my couch or in a chair...because it hits against my staples and feels like it's pushing them in...hurts like hell. By the way...I have 23 of those which I will be getting out tomorrow if the doctor ok's it....I doubt he will though because the top of the incision is pretty red. Really not looking forward to getting those babies out! Do I regret this surgery....I really don't know at this point...ask me in a few weeks. I'm just so sore right now...and it ticks me off that I can't even sit up...spend most of my time walking around which is incredibly painful because it feels like there is 100 lbs of pressure on top of me and in bed. Just want my normal lifestyle back already and it's only been 8 days. Sorry so long...just wanted to get my story out...and thought I would give some of you some insight on what actually happens. If you have any questions or want to know anything else...feel free to ask. Back to bed now...I've been standing here typing this whole thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread