It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #1

someonehelpme HB User
Baking Soda Cravings

Hello,

I'm seventeen years old and since I was... fifteen I've been craving baking soda. At first it wasn't so bad, a lick here, a lick there. But I'm now at the point where I can eat a half a box if I let myself. I know it's a normal thing to have odd cravings when your pregnant, but I'm not and I don't know why I'm doing this.

If anyone knows anything about this, please respond to this. Is it an eating disorder or is it something else? I still crave and eat normal food (I'm a vegetarian if that matters) but I don't know - why - I have to eat baking soda. I've tried to stop but I just can't.

Someone please help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 04:48 AM   #2

drea22 HB User
Re: Baking Soda Cravings

Thats different, I've never heard of a craving for baking soda. What does it taste like any way? If you especially like the taste of it maybe that is why you crave it. Everybody is different and so are tastebuds. It sounds though like you dont understand why you eat it, so i am assuming that you dont necessarily like the taste and texture as much. The only thing i can think of as to why your body is craving this, considering you are a vegetarian is that your body has some kind of mineral deficiency that you are not recieving in your daily diet. If your body is denied one of the many essential vitamins and minerals needed for it to function it could cause an undeniable craving for what it needs. Im not an expert or anything but i did take a course in human nutrition. Read the box and figure out what the baking soda consists of..... and try dietary supplements that will provide with the nutrient without having to eat a box of baking soda. Maybe that will cause your carving to subside. There are also blood tests available that can measure the levels of essential nutrients in your body, a dr could probably easily help you determine whether you have a deficiency, and thats probably the best way to go about it. The dr would probably just give you suggestions of things you should add to your diet. On the other hand maybe you dont have anything wrong at all, maybe you just like baking soda...........so what things could be worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 05:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

It does sound like pica to me, I would go to the doctors for blood work to find out what you are defiencient in mineral, vitamin wise.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #4

someonehelpme HB User

thank you very much, I made a doctors appointment and I should have answers for those interested in a few weeks

Old 06-28-2004, 10:50 PM   #5

sybil60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonehelpme
Hello,

I'm seventeen years old and since I was... fifteen I've been craving baking soda. At first it wasn't so bad, a lick here, a lick there. But I'm now at the point where I can eat a half a box if I let myself. I know it's a normal thing to have odd cravings when your pregnant, but I'm not and I don't know why I'm doing this.

If anyone knows anything about this, please respond to this. Is it an eating disorder or is it something else? I still crave and eat normal food (I'm a vegetarian if that matters) but I don't know - why - I have to eat baking soda. I've tried to stop but I just can't.

Someone please help me.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:52 PM   #6

sybil60 HB User

When you do eat baking soda be very careful, to much can cause serious stomach damage. Read the warnings on the box.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:14 AM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User

Baking soda is sodium (salt) it helps neutralize stomach acid, and a 'gas buster' of sorts, not to be consumed like it is candy. It will eventually cause problems. My grandmother (long gone now) used to have 1/8th of a teaspoon full to help settle her stomach (before the invention of antacids) Do go to the doctor and the sooner the better.

it is used for many things, not pertaining to human consumption except for baking when it is used as a 'leavening agent' in cakes breads, and stuff.

BonBe

Old 07-24-2004, 10:33 AM   #8

someonehelpme HB User
Lightbulb Re: Baking Soda Cravings

so, back from the doctor... I have pica, but it's caused by my being severly anemic... my hemoglobin count is 6.2 grams per decaliter.... My doctor said that my eating baking soda is just a sign of my body craving iron, (because to me, it has a slightly metalic taste) but that it's a negligable source of iron....

she prescribed my iron pills and a multi-vitamin, and I have to go back in two weeks to have my hemoglobin tested again.

Thank you all very much for you help

Old 07-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

I'm so glad you went and got a diagnosis and something to get you back on track!!! Good Luck to you and Blessings!

Closed Thread