It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
(male)

cs1992 HB User
Pityriasis Rosea...ugh!

Hey everyone,

I developed a slightly raised, round, reddish mark on my back and arm about a month ago. At the time (and still) I was under a tremedous amount of stress. At first, I thought it was ringworm but it never itched and the center did not clear. Anyways, I rubbed Lamisil on it for 2 weeks and it did not improve.

A few weeks after noticing this, I discovered I had smaller yet simiiar lesions on my stomach and back. These lesions are taking a long time to fade. I got so frustrated with a few of them that I scratched them. The originial lesions seem to have disappeared, but their scars live on.

Researching this on the internet has led me to believe I have pityriasis rosea. The images I have seen look exactly like mine. I am not on any medication, have no other conditions and have not seen a doctor yet. I plan to schedule a visit soon. Has anyone else experienced this annoying condition?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Pityriasis Rosea...ugh!

Yes, and it is miserable. My dermatologist was of no help, however, my s-i-l had it and her dermatologist told her to get sunshine on it, supposedly it is caused by vitamin D defficiency. There should be a main patch with others around. The main patch is called the "mother" and then all the little chicks around it. Kinda of a measly rash but in spotted areas if I remember right.

Best to see a good dermatologist and be properly diagnosed. Sunbathing is not exactly safe for other reasons.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

sillyOCDgirl HB User

Try Mometasone Cream--it made my "mother patch" and all the other spots go away in 24 hours! And RELAX because the rash is from stress.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

PR is NOT caused by a vitamin D deficiency -- in fact, no one is exactly certain WHAT causes it, though it is believed to be viral in nature. Oddly enough, sometimes (but not all the time), oral antibiotics are prescribed and some patients see results, though this may be coincidental. Yes, antibiotics are not effective against viruses -- thus the quandary with PR.

Sunlight is recommended for treatment because low doses of UV can be helpful for speeding up the healing process and fading of the rash. There is the inherent danger of sunburn, however, and also the possibility of hyper-pigmentation if the area gets TOO much sun. This is usually seen in individuals with darker skin tones. If you want to get some sun to help this condition, do so in moderate doses and do not allow yourself to get burned.

PR is diagnosed using a visual exam only. There are no other tests required.

It is important that you do see a dermatologist to make sure this is what you have -- if it is something else you will need to address it ASAP.

Generally speaking, PR will clear up when left alone in about six weeks, give or take. In rare cases it can last as long as three months. It very rarely ever occurs again. For most folks, one breakout of PR is all they'll see of it in their lifetime.

If the itching is very intense, a doc can provide a cortisone injection which will ease the discomfort for a couple days, getting you through the worst of it.

Home remedies to reduce itching are discussed in the posts above: topical cortisone creams work well, as do calamine lotion and soothing soaks in oatmeal baths.

Avoid scratching at all costs, though this is very difficult. You can easily get a superficial infection from too much scratching, spread the rash around a little bit, and any cuts and scrapes you get will be that much more uncomfortable because they will not only sting but itch as well. If the itching is driving you crazy, try the remedies listed above. You can also place a clean, dry towel over the area and just gently PRESS on the surface to help relieve itching. Do not rub, just press.

Hope this information helps.

Closed Thread