It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran

Saka HB User
Best way to treat a burn

On Saturday I burnt the back of my upper leg on a fireplace. It started out small but it is now about 5cm long and 1cm wide and very painful. So far all I've done is put some antiseptic powder on it and put a bandaid type thing over it. It continues to weep also.

What else can I do to help it to heal? And does anyone have any idea on how long burns take to heal on average? It's a nasty one and it makes everything hard to do, especially driving a car (and I have a driving test on Thursday )

Last edited by Saka; 07-12-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Best way to treat a burn

Burns are more seseptable (spelled wrong) to infection so you need to keep it clean. Also if you keep it slighty moist than it will heal better with a lesser scar. Polysporin makes an ointment specificly for burns (i would assume other brands of anitbiotic ointment do). So maybe twice a day clean it with soap and water, dry it off and put a clean dressing/bandaid on it with some ointment to keep it moist and clean. I'm not sure what you can do in order to keep it from hurting, i know there are pain relieving sprays/creams for cuts and scraps but i don't know if they are recomended for burns. Just take a look around your local drugstore to see what they have. Also, if you think it could be getting infected or it's not healing then go see your doctor. also, the most important thing is to keep it moist i believe (i''m trying to remember from when my grandmother got burt) and what they told her was just to keep it covered with polysporin and she has pretty much no scar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

While making jelly one time I blended too hot berry mixture in blender, it exploded and scalded my neck/chest. At ER they put wet cloth over burn area, kept putting cool water on it. Then the doctor prescribed a sulfa cream, I am allergic to sulfa so doctor huffed and had nothing to offer other than Neosporin. Fortunately I still had Cortisone Cream (prescription) in jar left over from kids severe sunburn and used it.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #4

limey37 HB User

Hi there, my son fell into a fire a couple of months ago and burned his hand pretty bad, I went to a drug store and got this stuff called second skin, its like these gel filled band aids that you can cut to fit, you then cover them with gauze or something, the burn healed really fast with minimal scarring.
Hope this helped.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Lightbulb Re: Best way to treat a burn

I read in Readers Digest many years ago that vinegar (either apple cider or distilled) can be used to stop the pain of burns. I was able to put it to the test some time later. I burned my hand with cooking oil one evening and decided to try the vinegar. It worked beautifully. Pain gone. The only thing was, I had to pour some on several times because the pain would return. I've since used it on my nephew, nieces, friends, etc. So far, it has worked for all of them. I don't think I would do this for large severe burns though. These types of burns run the risk of causing serious infection. You should go to the emergency room for that.

Closed Thread