It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
(female)

mikilyn HB User
Question Joint Pain/Body Aches/Finger Numbness

undefinedundefinedundefined

Just in the past week I've been experiencing extreme joint pain, primarily in my knucles, knees, elbows, and ankles. It's at it's worst first thing in the morning when I get out of bed- so extreme that it almost brings me to my knees. During the day (and night) I have numbness in both hands/fingers. It started with a very sore neck, could turn my head to the right, and it's just progressed from there. This is complicated by fatigue and overall muscle soreness. Trying to figure out if anyone else has experienced this. Recently had an MRI which determined that I have 2 herniated disks in my neck and a bulged disk in my lower back. Could this be a result froma pinched nerve or could it be something entirely different? Any advise would be great!

Old 07-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Joint Pain/Body Aches/Finger Numbness

Some of the symptoms could very well be related to the herniations such has the finger numbness. Are all fingers affected or only certain ones? Each finger represents a cervical disk for the most part and a pinched nerved say in c6 or c7 would affect your pointer and middle finger.
It is also possible with the other symptoms you have that it is arthritis or even something like Fibromyalgia or CFS. I would suggest you at least see your GP and have some blood work done to be tested for any type of arthritis. If it comes up negative I would suggest that you then see a nuerologist or nuerosurgeon and discuss your herniations and current symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
(female)

mikilyn HB User

It's all fingers, both hands, the weirdest thing.... I just saw my neurologist a week ago (when he gave me my diag - the herniated disks) and he didn't seem too concerned with the numbness but it's actually pretty painful and quite irritating. He thought we might do nerve conduction (he thinks it may be carpal tunnel). The herniated disks and bone spurs are in C5/6. Would a chiropractor be of any help you think? If nerves are being pinched, can't that cause some long-term damage? Does Fibromyalgia come on quick or slow over time? This seemed to come on suddenly. What's even more strange is that I'm only 35!

Thank you for your response!
Mikilyn

Old 07-15-2004, 05:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I avoid chiro's at all cost but it's only a personal thing. Others have had some sucess with it. If the herniation or spurs are large they will in fact cause permanent damage over time and not to mention excruciating pain.

c5 and c6 wouldn't affect the entire hand and both hands at that unless maybe it was a huge herniation.

I would definately get tested for Rhuematoid arthritis, lupus or other types which can come on with a rapid onset. Arthritis knows no age, I had my first onset at age 10.

It could be a combination of things or just one, problem with compressed nerves, carpal tunnel, arthritis or even fms. It really is best to get blood work done to rule out certain things before going after the herniations. The nerve conduction test is also a good idea. But honestly I'd push to get bloodwork for arthritis done first, especially if you are having flareups daily.

When my herniations acted up at first I just had a dull ache in my shoulder, figured it was bursitis or arthritis acting up again and ignored it. One day I woke up in the most excruciating pain in my right arm, I had no numbness or neck pain at that point.

Orginally I was misdagnosed and had a shoulder scoping, at that point being in a sling caused the numbess to come in 3 fingers and down my arm and the really intense pain started. It lasted for 3 months until I could get it properly diagnosed and operated on.
From the time they took an MRI to the time they operated, about 6 weeks, a spur grew so large that it completely impinged my spinal cord. Who knows what would of happened if I let it go. I assume permanent damage.

I am doing pretty good now, numbness gone, occasional neck pain but nothing I can't live with.

Good luck and I hope you figure out what's going on

Old 07-15-2004, 05:27 AM   #5

Argento HB User

Get a Western Blot blood test for Lyme and rule that out..

Old 07-15-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
Inactive

Kathy Miller HB User

There are a couple of things I would wonder about. First, are you on any cholesterol-lowering medication? If so, I would worry about possible rhabdomyolysis, which has been a rare skeletal muscle disease, but statin drugs for cholesterol have been known to cause it as well.

Also, arthritis and many joint and muscle issues are related to dehydration. Chronic morning back pain is very commonly dehydration. I have been told should be drinking at least a quart of water per 50 pounds of body weight plus a quart per day to maintain proper hydration.

Another interesting thing, I was once told that if a woman has chronic low back pain, removing chicken from the diet may clear it. I had low back pain at the time, and I did just that, and I have not had the low back pain since.

Kat

Old 07-15-2004, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

definately, with all that joint pain, i am thinking lyme disease. get a western blot test, although not a great test, you could test neg and still have lyme. do you remember being biten by a tick at all?
karen

Old 07-15-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

i didnt know dehydration caused all that, i used to drink loads before i had my son, i dont seem to drink as much now and get all those symptoms, i bet dehydration is not helping, thanks guys, love april x

Closed Thread