It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #1

kbkmonoxide HB User
whats this wierd mark on my upper lip??

a few months ago i got this spot on my upper lip the size of a small button or dime that had clear liquid stuff coming out of it and it was all red like the blood had come to the surface, there was a hard spot under the surface and it was swollen to all lengths of grotesque. well it happened again and i was wondering if anybody could tell me how to get rid of it quickly and what exactly it is... last time i just kind of let it go and it went away in about 2wks... any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: whats this wierd mark on my upper lip??

Hi,

go to your doctor...it's probably Herpes (either simplex 1 or 2) and it's highly contagious. It can be spread by touch to fingers, to other parts of the face/body and to others' body parts.

It comes and it goes, and there are meds that can help. Some are oral others topical.

But, no matter what it is...go to the doctor where a swab can be done and you'll know for sure. Don't wait till it's gone. If you can't get in to see the doctor, go to a clinic.

Let us know the diagnosis.
Best to you,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #3

kbkmonoxide HB User

ended up being some rare bacterial infection, gave me some antibiotics and it was gone in a few days... i asked about the herpes thing, nope.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Woah!! rare is a scary word to me....but I'm glad the antibiotics cleared it up for you.

q

Old 07-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #5

kbkmonoxide HB User

i guess its rare for adults... they said it was called infantago... eitherway its gone now

Old 07-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #6

edaisy80 HB User

My son and my niece both had infantiago last summer. It was caused by a mosquito bite. I guess maybe kids get it more because they play out side alot and stuff. It was horrible. It started out looking like a little ant bite and then it started to puss up and look like a blister. It's a good thing that you got it taken care of. I guess it can cause you to get really sick ( a high fever & vomiting). My niece's was worse then my sons was. Because my mom had already seen my nieces a couple of months before we went to visit her so she knew what she was looking for and told me to take him to the doctor. The only sad thing about it is now my son will not play outside for more then 10 minutes. My niece luckily was only 2 so she doesn't remember getting bit. Well like I said I'm glad your feeling better. Be careful when your outside.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

It seems that in Canada/Britain it's called impetigo....and in the US it's called intantigo or infintigo. Interesting.

In any event, seems it's a nasty one.

Last edited by quincy; 07-24-2004 at 01:53 AM.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

My son got it several times as a child and was put on some heavy antibiotics. One breakout cases a very large scar on his face because he couldn't resist picking it.
The main thing his doctor said was to be sure his hands were always clean and don't pick it because this actually causes it to reoccur and spread.
Glad you got it all fixed up.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:58 AM   #9
(male)

stevek167 HB User
So what exactly is infantago and how do you treat it?

So what exactly is infantago and how do you treat it?

Old 08-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User

It's correct name (anywhere) is Impetigo, and it's a bacterial skin infection, usually around the nose or mouth and more common in children. It is also contagious and is not rare. Antibiotics are the treatment.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #11
(male)

stevek167 HB User

Thanks-
Went to see the Doc today. He says it looks like a spider bite to him and says it will take a while for the skin discoloration to go away. But he gave me antibiotics anyway.....

Old 08-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

That would be impitego, and it is not rare. It's a bacterial infection that is HIGHLY contagious, and tends to recur. It is more common in children ONLY because they are in close contact with several others, and their hygiene is not as good as an adults'.

Closed Thread