It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #1

BlueEyes_97453 HB User
Question White bumps on my uvula (hangy thing in the back of mouth)

I noticed on 7/19 that I have three of what looks like white pus pockets or polyps on my uvula. If you don't know (took me almost an hour to find out what that little thing is called) what that is it's the little piece of skin that hangs down in the back of your throat near your tongue.
I have no other symptoms and have no clue what they mean. I had one guy tell me that means you have strep thoat, someone please help! Should I go to the doctor??

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: White bumps on my uvula (hangy thing in the back of mouth)

It is quite possible you have strep throat or some sort of an infection dispite that you do not have any other symptoms.
You really should go get tested for strep, if not taken care of it can turn into more serious illnesses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

is your throat sore? It could be strep, but strep is very painful which is almost a give-away.

Do the white spots wipe away with a q-tip? If so, it could be just a small case of thrush. Are you on any antibiotics or steroids for illness or asthma?

q

Old 07-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes_97453
I noticed on 7/19 that I have three of what looks like white pus pockets or polyps on my uvula. If you don't know (took me almost an hour to find out what that little thing is called) what that is it's the little piece of skin that hangs down in the back of your throat near your tongue.
I have no other symptoms and have no clue what they mean. I had one guy tell me that means you have strep thoat, someone please help! Should I go to the doctor??

Thanks
If I were you I would defenitly get tested for strep if you let it go to long it could cause your uvula to split. (happened to my brother) If it isn't strep the doctor will be able to tell and treat you for what you do have.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #5

BlueEyes_97453 HB User

Thanks for all the replies!! I just looked and they're gone, I haven't tried to wipe them away with a q-tip, if I ever get them again I will do that. What is thrush? And I take advair for my asthma, could that be what caused them?

Thanks so much everyone

Old 07-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes, the advair can cause it....thrush is a yeast infection. Use the advair just before brushing your teeth. also brush your tongue, cheeks and upper palate. Rinse well, and change your toothbrush once a month.

There is a med called Nystatin that will help if it is persistent. I check my mouth daily and q-tip them away after I brush. If I eat too many sweets or carbs it's worse. I use pulmicort, and I don't get it too often. I've used Nystatin for the ones that keep coming back.

I also have added acidophilus to my daily intake (capsules). They help keep the bowel flora in balance, as well as help people who have chronic yeast infections.

Hope this helps.
quincy

Closed Thread