It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
(male)

wessman01 HB User
Lightbulb Another thought on tonsil stones.

Hi, I have a thought/question about tonsil stones... Has anyone ever heard of "tonsil stones" in other lymphatic tissue? I am aware that they wouldn't be referred to as "tonsil stones" if they were located in another region other than the tonsils, but the composition of the foreign bodies would be the same. I have heard of instances of salivary glands "growing" stones and becoming blocked. And of course we all know of kidney and gallbladder stones. Another thought... Are the lingual tonsils and adenoids capable of producing or at least hosting stones? Any thoughts or insights into these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Another thought on tonsil stones.

I wish I knew the techincal name but some years ago my mom started having problems with her throat being sore a lot and then before you know it she couldn't swallow and hardly breath. When looked at they found her throat was full of what they deemed calcium deposits. At the time they thought it was cancer, thankfully it was not. She had to have surgery and has about an 8" slit on her throat from where they had to remove everything. It was pretty serious as the calcium was embedded into the soft tissue and muslces somehow.

No clue how it happened or what pre-empted it but she's fine now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
(male)

wessman01 HB User

Kissa ... First off let me tell you how happy I am for your mom that it wasn't cancer, and for you!!! Secondly let me say OMG calcium deposits?!?!? Quite strange. If there are anymore details you can recall please post back. I hope she is well now with no recurrences. All my best wishes for her health and yours.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

calcium deposits are basically the same as a bone spur if you will except this was on the soft tissue of her esophogus. She hasn't had that particular problem since and it's been maybe 18 or so years since this did occur. There's not much more I can recall other than it started with a sore throat that never went away.
It may be related to having Ehlers Danlos Syndrome III which is a genetic disorder that I have inherited from her.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
(male)

wessman01 HB User

Closed Thread